Ever get the feeling you were born in the wrong era/country?
Apr 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

kyuuketsuki

Headphoneus Supremus
Procrastination dictated that I not study for my test during my break, and to instead browse Billboard, which lead me to the thought to compare it to Oricon (the Japanese version of Billboard)

Just going by the top 3 songs... I have determined that I totally born in the wrong country or at the very least the wrong era of American music! I mean what the hell? I could not even finish listening to any of the top three, let alone bring myself to continue going down the list of Billboard.

Then we have Oricon... first three songs... AMAZING. (OK #2 was a bit too poppy for my tastes, but was in no way bad) #3 on Oricon BLEW ME AWAY! The song is so amazingly 60s, and the English was fantastic (to the point where I had to look up the band to confirm they were, in fact, Japanese).

Conclusion: I should have been born in Japan (or Europe as I am also a fan of European Electronic Music), or been born in the 60s so that I could grow up in an era where popular music didn't suck so much.

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 78
Drop me off in Harlem in 1933.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 78
Musically, I'm happy to be around today. A lot of the great acts are gone, but there are so many recordings and such great stereo gear. You can enjoy anything anywhere.

As for a time and place, I wouldn't mind being born in Los Angeles around 1900. Old Los Angeles was very cool. Shame the public transportation and so many wonderful old buildings were torn down.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 78
I wish to be on finland or sweden, on the 75's. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 78
I'd like to be in the future when we're all Tron'ed out. I don't care for all that techno music though so hopefully the future isn't all beeps and boops. We have virtual reality 3-d already. It's just a matter of time before we get spherical sound systems with unlimited soundstage, and touch and pressure sensors. Why go to an earlier time? I wanna go forward!!!!!

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 78
Apr 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #10 of 78
that list is the new one from this week, and even that is better than

#1 - ET by Katy Perry

#2 - S&M by Rihanna

#3 - Just Can't Get Enough by The Black Eyed Peas

When it comes down to it, the list of music on Oricon tends to be more diverse than Billboard. When I looked at the list and made this most the #1 was metal, and #3 was well... here is the link to the song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAzxHmP9JSU

Quote:
  1. 1.

first week

Jet Coaster Love
    Kara
  2. 2.

first week

Eni wo Yuite
    Tsuyoshi Domoto
  3. 3.

first week

Ai, Chuseyo
    SDN48

This is what I got when I checked the Oricon on http://www.jpopasia.com, all of those singles seem to be the kind of music that I usually avoid, totally pre-formatted and the result of applying a well oiled marketing machine, especially number 1 and 3.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 78
Definately not. Every year lots of great albums get released. You can listen to music from the past easely, but not the other way around. Most of my music was from the 90ties, but now its actually +2000 mostly. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 78
I would've liked to be 15/16 about 1969, growing up in the '70's as a (prog)rock orientated musical fan and musician.

In stead, I was born in 1979, the 90's weren't bad, but different. Music from that earlier period of time seems to have 'soul', meaning.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 78

Quote:
that list is the new one from this week, and even that is better than

#1 - ET by Katy Perry

#2 - S&M by Rihanna

When it comes down to it, the list of music on Oricon tends to be more diverse than Billboard. When I looked at the list and made this most the #1 was metal, and #3 was well... here is the link to the song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAzxHmP9JSU

The list I've got is definitely worse than

#1 - ET by Katy Perry

#2 - S&M by Rihanna

especially number 1 and 3. But why would you base your listening choices based on the Billboard? You can easily listen other genres, which you actually do since you are talking about the Oricon.
And those genres are easily accessible, they are one click away if one may say so, if you wanted to listen to the Orican in the 60s, tracking down the titles and the music would be time consuming and difficult.
In short, we now have easy access to more music over more genre than any other point in the past, which makes these times fantastic for the music lover.

Besides, the 60s/70s music you hear today is actually the best of those eras, the music that actually survived the passing of years. They produced plenty of crappy stuff in the 60s/70s too, except that noone remember those today and you don't get to hear it. What you actually hear is an idealized picture of the music of this era.

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #15 of 78
It`s not that much about the music,
I would like to have a dive in the 50`s, with those big wood Receivers, Tuners, listening to some old sad vinyl recordings,
through some AlNiCo speakers,  and NO CELL PHONES

but, yes only a dive, I would miss www,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back