Ever get scared by your headphones?
Feb 21, 2009 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
Right now I'm listening to 'Fleet Foxes' on my homer rig and I was sitting here reading around head-fi and between 2 songs I heard some voices from behind me on either side of my head. A chill ran down my spine and I spun around to see who was behind me. Took me a second to realize that it was on the recording. Cheese and rice.

I'm gonna go get a fresh pair of underoos.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 31
lol yes, I forget what song it is right now, but there's an ambient voice in one song that sounds just like my father calling my name from the downstairs kitchen back home. It still freaks me out, no matter where I'm listening to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 31
THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME...

I mean, its happened before, but just 20 minutes ago, I turned a song on, with a vocal intro, I cant even remember what though, but I heard it out of my left back ear, and I actually jumped. I mean I knew it was coming and I turned on the music, but it still scared me. So yeah, it happens

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 31
I wouldn't say scared, but confused now and then. There's a song/album I've been listening to lately (can't remember which) with a ringing that reminds me of my cellphone.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 31
With my SR125's (before I busted them) I had taken to using them without any pads at all, just flat against my ears.

In this config the cans were very light on my head and I'd often forget I was wearing them. Sometimes while listening to music late at night I'd occasionally get quite a nervous jump when after a song change, to a loud song, for fear of waking up my family with the loud music.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 31
yeah, all the time.
I'm just getting used to phones instead of IEMs, so the soundstage scares the crap out of me.
it's like hearing ghosts.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 31
Every now and then, but the ribbons and AMTs have done it a lot more. Their soundstage will occasionally convince you that sound is coming from outside or another room.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 31
Oh yeah, usually with some type of background vocal that is spoken softly. Makes me think I'm not the only one listening. Kind of cool, kind of creepy too.

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every now and then, but the ribbons and AMTs have done it a lot more. Their soundstage will occasionally convince you that sound is coming from outside or another room.

You'd love these AMT headphones I'm working on.

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 31
There are some recordings that always seem to catch me by surprise with headphones....

Older stuff like the Byrds, Ten Years After, Deep Purple, etc seems to do it the most... Tons of layered voices and sounds paired with totally analog and tube recording techniques...certain sense of realism there.

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 31
Once the bass rumble on my DT770 convinced me that a wall had just been smashed down.. i had to check out the house and the neighbour.

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #13 of 31
Heh yeah happend to me with the pk3 a couple of times. It's like I think I know how earbuds supposed to sound like... tiny and 0 soundstage.. So i'm listening to some music doing random stuff, browsing the web etc.. I know I'm alone in the house.
Suddenly I hear voices couple'a feet behind me
eek.gif
.. jump out'a my chair each and every time. Never got used to it.

Yeah, takes a few seconds of fear and loathing for me to realise it's just the pk3 pulling tricks on me for understimating their powah.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #14 of 31
Kunstkapfgenomgang or what that binaural recording is named was really scary first time I listened to it... I don´t like people whisper in my ear and I got the chills when the window opened.

Apart from that took a while before I was comfortable listening to Norah Jones on my 750s... Had to reach for the 900 to calm my nerves
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back