Even if you dont like hiphop.. read.
Aug 7, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #62 of 114
Blackalicious is great if you're into revivalism but to me the beats sound like stale rehashes in the tradition of J5, and Gab is way too concerned with the literary worth of his raps without having any regard for generating heat or hype, or being entertaining. He can have a verse that makes you scratch your chin and say "Hmm, I think he has a good point," but he'll never drop one of those stingers that makes 'em say "OHHHHH!"

Aug 7, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #65 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
...the question of "What is the meaning of life?"

The best answer to this question I've come across is, "The meaning of life is to experience life."

I opened this thread thinking I would learn something about hip hop. Unfortunately, it was completely not what was expected.

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #68 of 114
Ive got to third it. Elephas please check out Main Source's "Breaking Atoms", especially "Lookin At the Front Door". Out of left field is what it is. It talks about a guy not being able to put up with his girl's behavior anymore. He rhymes over a kind of house music track that is dope. "Live at the BBQ" off that album is great too, and features NAS' debut. My brother went around quoting his line "Verbal assassin, my architecture pleases, when I was twelve, I went to hell for snuffing Jesus" over and over as a little punk kid.

Aug 9, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #69 of 114
IME people who generally dont like rap/hiphop seem to like that song Crossroads by Bone Thugs.

just a random useless comment from me
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #71 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
BTW, both songs linked in this thread by previous posters are indeed quite dope. Who's that freestylin for Geto Boys?
eek.gif
That guy's good
smily_headphones1.gif

what do you mean thats a song, with 3 verses... need to come a little bit more specific

Aug 9, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #72 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
what do you mean thats a song, with 3 verses... need to come a little bit more specific

??

EDIT: oh gotcha. i just meant, he's good because it sounds like he's freestyling instead of sounding staged like some recordings do, especially with rap IMO. there are a few artists that can make a CD without having it sound live and still have it sound good (Eminem for example) but most times it just loses the vibe that hip hop is supposed to have. it is a social music, and to record it like you are in a recording studio defeats the whole purpose
tongue.gif
it's chill when they keep that homegrown sound that made 80s hip hop so much fun to listen to
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #74 of 114
The Geto Boys are Scarface (verses 1 and 3), Willie D (verse 2) and Bushwick Bill (verse 4). And no, none of them were freestyling. And no, hip-hop is not "social music" that loses its value when it's a studio creation. If that were true, you wouldn't see so few hip-hop live albums and there wouldn't be producers who reach even greater fame than the vocalists they work with.

Consider Rakim, who was once thought to be the best rapper in the world even though he wasn't known for freestyling at all.

Aug 10, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #75 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor
The Geto Boys are Scarface (verses 1 and 3), Willie D (verse 2) and Bushwick Bill (verse 4). And no, none of them were freestyling. And no, hip-hop is not "social music" that loses its value when it's a studio creation. If that were true, you wouldn't see so few hip-hop live albums and there wouldn't be producers who reach even greater fame than the vocalists they work with.

Consider Rakim, who was once thought to be the best rapper in the world even though he wasn't known for freestyling at all.

Rakim not only one of the best, the most bitten rapper no contest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back