Even a cheap POS turntable can please those of us who don't know any better
Oct 23, 2009 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chriscu1

100+ Head-Fier
After spending a couple of months in thrift stores, yard sales, and pawn shops looking for a quality used turntable and finding absolutely nothing, I decided to bite the bullet with my tiny budget and got a new Pyle manual turntable (sells for ~$70 on Amazon). From what I've read the stock cart is a AT 3400, which sounds decent, but in time I'll probably upgrade to something like a Grado Black. With all the features it has that it looks like most other cheap tables are missing (pitch control, adjustable counterweight and anti-skate, separate ground wire), it really is not that bad. It's not a classic Technics, but it puts out a decent sound. No hum. Hooked up to my equally meager setup of TC-750 preamp -> cmoy -> SR-80, first play was Floyd's DSOTM...amazing! The only gripe I have is it is totally manual, but that's only because I fear getting up and forgetting that it's playing something.

Commence slamming....
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 9
Manual operation is a mark of honor in the world of turntables. Never gripe. Hold your head high, and pick the stylus up so that you can turn the record over.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 9
If you lived around here, I could set you up with something nice, but what you have lacks little, from the way you describe it. My first good TT was a Technics SL-1500, all manual excepting the cueing. I loved it.

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chriscu1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even a cheap POS turntable can please those of us who don't know any better

Agreed... My cheap POS Technics sound nice and warm, and very analog.

Now the problem is finding good music selection to play on it.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 9
Agreed sometimes yard sales may be a good source for cheap priced decent ware but at the same time I would not discount craigslist as well. You will be surprised on some of the stuff that turns up. My Technics TT is from a yard sale and the B&O from CL. Both almost mint and in excellent condition. You just need to be patient.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 9
I've ordered a Grado Black1 to put on this...will post impressions when I get it (if the hum is bad, I'll just send it back). I really like this unit, as well as my preamp that it goes through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back