European Headphone Temporary Trading Club (Wanna try cans for almost nothing? Read the first post !)
May 3, 2015 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 308

customcoco

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone,

The next few paragraphs are about what led me to start this initiative. Feel free to skip through if you just want to know what the Club’s about.

Trading list here here:
I had owned the Mighty HD800 for about 6 months when I felt the wind of change coming.  

As such I started to look around for a replacement. The trouble is, while 1 hour listening sessions in a dedicated store might be fine to evaluate the « performances » of a pair of cans, they can’t really tell you whether you’ll still love them in the long run.

Since headphone rentals are not available to us Europeans yet (to the best of my knowledge, at least) I started to think about a temporary trade.

I started a thread on a local forum whose members I have to thank for their precious advices. While I got some offers, none of them grabbed my attention.

I needed a larger audience.

I opened a classified on HF. I expected to be flooded by offers involving 20$ Brainwavz IEM’s from 1st time posters, but they never came.
Instead, I got a few serious offers from well established like-minded individuals.
I eventually traded my pair for a pair of HE560’s, initially for a week.

Everything went smoothly, and I finally decided to part with my 800’s for good.

The trading virus quickly spread through my mind...

I left my classified open and bumped it every once in a while.
Out of sheer curiosity, I traded those newly-acquired 560’s for a pair of FAD Pandoras.
Again, the transaction was both safe and agreeable.

We traded for about a week, and had a pleasant discussion throughout which keeps on to this day.

Now, I’m waiting for a Stax SR4040 system to get to my door from yet another member.

On to what I have in mind :

Those previous experiences led me to believe that a larger headphone-sharing community could perhaps be created.

Something that would fill the gap between friendly trades and what I did.

I, along with one of the persons I’ve traded with, was thinking about a two-time selection system.

An aspirant member would apply here, on this thread, in order to be introduced to a separate group whose discussions would be kept private.

Aspirant members would be evaluated by the community, who will accept or decline admissions based on a set of rules that remains to be discussed.  

Once accepted, new members would be given a temporarily restricted membership (cost limitation, or perhaps having to ship first when trading with an established trader) then have to complete a first trade in order to gain access to full-on membership.

Again, it is not about having as much members as possible, but about creating a safe and comfortable environment in which people would share knowledge, goods and good times.

Obviously, members would have to follow some other rules such as, fully insuring shipping both ways ; respecting a precise packaging norm etc…

Also, that Club would be strictly limited to European frontiers.

One the one hand, for obvious reasons (lack of taxes etc...) and on the other hand to avoid the nerve-racking experience of shipping dear things across the pond.

If it happens to be a success, it could certainly lead to some other analogous initiatives.

What would you think of such a system ? Feel free to comment, ask questions and criticize.

What if you could easily and safely trade your beloved phones with fellow head-fiers ?

What if you could enjoy new cans for a week or two, no strings attached ?

What if you could have enough time to enjoy high-end cans for a week, for less than a decent dinner ?

Well, now you can.

Since @moriez' idea turns out to be way simpler than mine (which, if you happen to be too lazy to read about it, featured a slightly complex selection system) I decided to adopt it for a series of trades.

We still have to discuss the rules, and those first trades will certainly help us shape them.

Still, here are some of the ones we thought of :

1. Before the trade, be sure to state a perfectly non-interpretable agreement.
  2. The date on which packages must be returned has to be clearly understood.
  3. Take dated pics of your heaphones before you pack them.

4. Pack them in a crush-proof package, preferably in a box inside a box (think matriochka).

5. Packages have to fully insured both ways, this is not arguable.

6. Packages have to be tracked, not arguable either.

7. Re-use the packaging if it is strong enough, no need to throw it away.

8. Always communicate the tracking infos to the other trader as soon as you leave the package.

9. When trades happen between an established trader and a newcomer, the newbie HAS to ship first.
  10. Always leave Feedback when a trade is complete, use the URL of our classified as the one from which you traded.

If you'd like to post an offer and have it featured on the list, please use our template.
@customcoco (do not copy paste that, type it)
@YourUserNameHere : Offer: YourStuff
      Request : WhatYouWant
      Definite Trade: Conceivable or not

Feel free to share any idea !

You can access the list here.

May 4, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 308
Nobody, really !?

May 5, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 308
Easy tiger.. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Let it simmer. All great things need time to be fully understood blablabla.

I think it's a really attractive way to have the chance to audition headphones and get to know fellow enthusiasts and this could even take off globally. I envision trading groups per continent/region for the simple reasons that you've pointed out being ease, maximum safety and lowest shipping cost. When I look at your proposition it's evident that you gave it quite some thought. My mind doesn't travel that far and I propose to make it more simple.

Here's an informal somewhat more open approach:

Anyone (Europeans in this particual thread but it's most encouraged to start threads for other regions) who is interested in temporarily trading gear just reply here. Going by the nature of this initiative which revolves around fun and no obligations to participate, there's no public application and no public selection procedure that one needs to go through. Lets leave this entirely to the individuals involved. For anyone who is interested feel free to introduce yourself if you are relatively new, just want to add something to the thread but one is under no obligation to do so. Saying I'm interested - want this offer that is ok and at some point you may receive a PM from another member ready to take it up with you or you will find that member.

Now, directly related and of the greatest importance is when you are (relatively) new with no or a minumum of trades to your name you're going to have to show credibility somehow. How are you going to convince the other guy of your righteous intentions? Let me state the obvious that it's going to be insanely difficult for someone with no feedback and/or no to little activity to attract any attention at all. Honestly, I'm not seeing a tiny chance for those guys but eventually it's entirely up to the traders in question to be the judge of who you're dealing with and whether there is sufficient trust towards the other party. You and only you is responsible for the decision that you have made when you ship your goods so think, re-think re-re-think. No one, I said no one, can do anything for you when a rotten apple decides to never be in touch with you again and keeps your precious headphone. In my opinion this is and should be the biggest ''against'' the whole idea.

In overview my selection procedure seems a little less stringent than yours but I'm ofcourse leaving all the room for it to be discussed. I think the selection of traders will turn out to be quite natural and therefor limited to a few anyway because those who care about their possessions will not deal with just anyone.

I also want to echo a few things that you have said that I find really good:

- new members having to ship first when trading with an established trader (yes!)
- it is not about having as much members as possible, but about creating a safe and comfortable environment (I'm completely with this although my approach may indicate otherwise)
- fully insuring shipping both ways ; respecting a precise and careful packaging norm (essential!)

And some of my own:

- exercise great care for the other man's property / treat as the most fragile thing to touch your skin
- keep away from pets, smoke and odor, irresponsible housemates that may include kids
- check your headphone for any damage before shipping so that you know what's there already and no misunderstanding comes about afterwards
- make clear non-interpretable agreements on how long the trade lasts
- keep each other updated when it comes to shipping, delays and make that phonecall to the post office to clear things up if necessary

Looking forward to read others thoughts.

May 7, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 308
List of "Trusted Traders" :

@customcoco : Has traded thrice, all of the trades have been succesfully completed

@swmkdr: Has successfully traded at least once

@moriez : Has successfully traded at least once (many times more, but outside the Club)

@Textfeud : Has successfully traded at least once (many times more, but outside the Club)

@Beyakusenn : Has successfully traded at least once

@Kununa : Has successfully traded at least once (many times more, but outside the Club)

@0rangutan : Has successfully traded at least once

@Jackpot77 : Has successfully traded at least once

May 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 308
Trading List

Cans :

@the Ortherion
Offer: Sennheiser HD560 Ovation II
Request : Sennheiser HD540 reference
Definite Trade: maybe

@noxa: Offer: Stax SRS-2170
Request : TH900, LCD-2, HD800, Edition 8
Definite Trade: Not

@noxa:
OFFER: Ultrasone IQ ; Ocharaku Flat 4 AKA ii
Request: Higher end Grados.
Amps :

@the Ortherion
: Offer : Schiit Vali or BioScienceGeek Cmoy
Request: BottleHead Crack Or Little Dot MKIII

@Sotiris
Offer: Beyerdynamic T1
Request : LCD2F or similar
Definite Trade: Possible.

@Aeneas:
Offer: Denon AH-MM400
Request : Oppo PM3 or V-Moda M100.

@Aeneas:
Offer : Sony ZX2
Request : Astell & Kern DAP.

@Dobrescu George
 : Offer: Ultrasone Dj one Pro
      Request : Ultrasone Signature Dj, Ultrasone Pro 900, Ultrasone Signature Pro, Fostex TH600, Fostex TH900
      Definite Trade: I am not sure, depends on how much money I would have to add. 

@vizzle
: Offer: AKG k712
      Request : AKG k702 annie, Koss esp950, HD800
      Definite Trade: I think so.

@fenrir35: Offer: Sony F886+silver-gold lod cable/Etymotic er-4p(v-sonic gr04 nozzle modded)/fischer audio consonance v2. orange
Request : Anything interesting of similar value iem. I want to trade them all with a high-end iem if its possible
biggrin.gif

Definite Trade: Possible

@Jackpot77:  For trade:
Echobox Finder X1
Lear Natrosound NS-U1 (plus upgrade cable)
Nuforce HEM8
Aurisonics ASG2.5
Audio Technica ATH-CKR10
Blue Microphones Lola (White)
Focal Spirit Professional

Wanted:
Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD800
Aurisonics Harmony
Oriveti Primacy
Any Noble Iems
Any Ocharaku Flat-4 iems
Any planar magnetic cans except PM-3

Permanent trade: definitely, for the right item

@0rangutan:
Offer: FAD Pandora/Sonorous IV, Aurisonic Rockets (soon), Campfire Audio Nova (soon), SoundMagic E50, Yamaha EPH100
Request: Audioquest Nighthawks, Aurisonic ASG 2.5, Oppo PM3, Hifiman HE560, Earsonics SM64/Velvets

@bule1101:
Offer: AKG 712Pro, Audio Technica AG1, Sennheiser Game One (598), Creative E5, Ak Jr Red Edition
Request: Anything interesting and cool, iems included
All items are new/like new

@xenithon :
Offer : Audio Technica ATH-ESW9, with original box and carry pouch
Request : Over ear headphones or IEMs
Definite Trade: Yes, prefer a permanent trade

@maniac2003 :
Offer:
- Futuresonics G10 <mint condition>, all accessories accounted for, with box/papers. Will also come with a extra leather(ish) Futuresonics earphone pouch.
- Logitech / Ultimate Ears UE900, very good condition, also with accessories and box/papers. Will also come with a extra UE900S (music) cable.
Definite Trade: For sale or trade

@leaky74 :
Request: AKT8ie MkII, Fidue A91, Westone W60 or similar level IEMs (would really love to try the K10 Encore / Katana but they're a little out of my league!)

Offer: Noble Sage (bought Dec 16), Chord Mojo      
Definite Trade: For the right deal; absolutely!

@widezu69 :
UK based
Offer: AKG K7XX Massdrop, bass modded. Very early 2-digit serial number.
Request : Similar closed back over-ears, hybrid upper-mid tier to TOTL iems, 2pin 3.5mm jack cable.
Definite Trade: Yes including part-trade with cash in either direction where appropriate.

May 7, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 308

May 8, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 308
I kinda did it with a local forum. But we never had a true trade. We just posted our complete sets and if anyone wanted to try it we would meet.
So I guess I'm in.

However my sets are nothing especial

May 8, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #11 of 308

The point is that someone is likely to fancy hearing your gear anyway and maybe vice versa. The league that we're playing in matters not.

Great initiative , very good idea . Not now but in a few months will probably offer my like new Ultrasone Signature Pro for a Ultrasone Signature DJ ( for a try ) . Thanks       PS : specially for moriez: my SigPro is not at all sibilant like the Ed8 , sound is much more qualitative . Best regards

Interesting!

Ah, the ED8. In hindsight, thanks again for that great trade back then. A fantastic looking headphone but dissapointed in what it brought forth.

May 8, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 308

Who cares ?

This Club will be exclusive because of the quality of its members, not of their level of wealth.

May 8, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 308

Sure. That's the idea. 
Only cans or we can trade dacs and amps?

I'm not against that idea as long as a careful packing procedure is respected.

Your offer's a bit unbalanced, but I'll add it to the list anyway.

May 8, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #15 of 308
I like this idea.... :)
Thank you very much for the invite moriez.... 5* as usual... :)

Right now i dont have many stuff as well.... only my hd25's and amperiors..... but i am planning on buying some over ears soon....

I would like to try the highly praised beyerdynamic dt770 80 or 32 ohm.....

Sure. That's the idea. 
Only cans or we can trade dacs and amps?

If so i would like to try a Bottlehead Crack or a Little Dot mk III. I have to offer a Schiit Vali and/or Biosciencegeek Cmoy.

Ortherion you are from Porto? I am from Valongo.... :)

Cheers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back