Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Sep 29, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #1,081 of 1,399
Hello all, currently using the H5 miflex with the ZMF Atrium. I've changed the pads from the Universe Lamb perf to BE2 lamb perf and love the more balanced sound. Using Sylvania 6SN7GTB and GE 6AS7GA tubes. I like this combo but I am just looking for more bite in the upper mids. I want more attack with female voices and crunch with guitars. Any affordable tube combos that can manage this?
First.... define affordable tube rolling. Under $1K? :sweat_smile:

For outputs you could try a Tungsol/Cetron 7236 for more bite and punch. Can be an affordable ($80-100) 5998 alternative with a slightly drier presentation. Very big step up in clarity and dynamics compared to most 6AS7/6080s. Sylvania 7236 is also very good.

Could also consider going for twin outputs. The GEC CV4079 is single section tube - requires a pair for that stereo thing. Which means a dual adapter. This trio of sonic delight will still be cheaper than most decent 6080s - and to my ears, sounding better than even a GEC 6080. I enjoy this combo more than my high-priced 6AS7s/6080s - great clarity, detail, sweet tone with less heater current. My summer output tube of choice.

For an alternate 6SN7 driver with a more upfront presentation, my fav is the CBS/Hytron 6SN7WGT - but rare and pricey. The Syli 6SN7WGTA with T-Plates are more upfront than most 6SN7s - however, they're a little pricey too. Sylvi VT-231 is another good option - the original 'bad boy'. Sylvania 6SN7W is great option with legendary upper mid detail. The prices are also upper nose-bleedy.

Alternately, the 7N7 (Frankie version) is a 6sn7 with a loctal base - requires adapter - has the same construction and sound as the Sylvania 6SN7W for a tenth the cost - that tall Raytheon might be a Frankie - need more pics to know for sure. Harder to find now, since people like @bcowen, and possibly me, blabbed about them on the internet.

Generally, the 6SN7 family sound is more laid back than some other thermionic clans... so if you're feeling adaptable could explore some kiddie's tubes (miniatures) - the RFT ECC82 or ECC81 are excellent options. Superbly detailed, cheap and a great changeup from a 6SN7GTB. Require an adapter, like this high quality one.

Or you could explore the vast world of twin 6C5/6J5/L63s. But that family deserves an entire post or PM session.

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #1,082 of 1,399
First.... define affordable tube rolling. Under $1K? :sweat_smile:

For outputs you could try a Tungsol/Cetron 7236 for more bite and punch. Can be an affordable ($80-100) 5998 alternative with a slightly drier presentation. Very big step up in clarity and dynamics compared to most 6AS7/6080s. Sylvania 7236 is also very good.

Could also consider going for twin outputs. The GEC CV4079 is single section tube - requires a pair for that stereo thing. Which means a dual adapter. This trio of sonic delight will still be cheaper than most decent 6080s - and to my ears, sounding better than even a GEC 6080. I enjoy this combo more than my high-priced 6AS7s/6080s - great clarity, detail, sweet tone with less heater current. My summer output tube of choice.

For an alternate 6SN7 driver with a more upfront presentation, my fav is the CBS/Hytron 6SN7WGT - but rare and pricey. The Syli 6SN7WGTA with T-Plates are more upfront than most 6SN7s - however, they're a little pricey too. Sylvi VT-231 is another good option - the original 'bad boy'. Sylvania 6SN7W is great option with legendary upper mid detail. The prices are also upper nose-bleedy.

Alternately, the 7N7 (Frankie version) is a 6sn7 with a loctal base - requires adapter - has the same construction and sound as the Sylvania 6SN7W for a tenth the cost - that tall Raytheon might be a Frankie - need more pics to know for sure. Harder to find now, since people like @bcowen, and possibly me, blabbed about them on the internet.

Generally, the 6SN7 family sound is more laid back than some other thermionic clans... so if you're feeling adaptable could explore some kiddie's tubes (miniatures) - the RFT ECC82 or ECC81 are excellent options. Superbly detailed, cheap and a great changeup from a 6SN7GTB. Require an adapter, like this high quality one.

Or you could explore the vast world of twin 6C5/6J5/L63s. But that family deserves an entire post or PM session.
This is great information, thank you!

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #1,083 of 1,399
Will the ECC81 with amplification factor of 60 play nice in the 6SN7 socket of the H5M?

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #1,084 of 1,399
Will the ECC81 with amplification factor of 60 play nice in the 6SN7 socket of the H5M?
Sure does. One of my fav combos is the RFT ECC81 driving CV4062s or CV455/6060 in combo with CV4079s or Bendix 6080WB. There's a little less volume range, but no nastiness, but tons of detail and precise staging. Wonderful change of tone from most 6SN7s. And that's why we, or at least I, roll.

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #1,086 of 1,399
Oct 13, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #1,087 of 1,399
H7mk2 (left) and custom H5 (right) side by side, both with Miflex KPCUs:

IMG_2271.jpeg

The H5 is recently in, second hand from an appreciated fellow forum member. Having fun rolling 6080 / 6N13S / 6AS7 and 6N8S / 12AU7 / E80CC!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #1,088 of 1,399
the one on the left would look better without the rings, imo.
i will never believe they achieve anything.

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #1,089 of 1,399
anyone in uk bought one of these amps direct and had trouble with it not arriving?
my original amp was despatched on the 3rd sep, it never arrived.
2nd one despatched on 5th oct and status still shows its been "exported but not yet arrived in uk".
i must confess this is getting really frustrating now

Oct 16, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #1,091 of 1,399
anyone in uk bought one of these amps direct and had trouble with it not arriving?
my original amp was despatched on the 3rd sep, it never arrived.
2nd one despatched on 5th oct and status still shows its been "exported but not yet arrived in uk".
i must confess this is getting really frustrating now
I'm in the US and mine was in customs over a week.

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #1,092 of 1,399
the one on the left would look better without the rings, imo.
i will never believe they achieve anything.
No doubt they look better without. Reason I keep them on is that the the tubes are microphonic - some more so than others - and this rack is on the table where I rattle my keyboard. They work very well to minimize such microphonic effects, same as a dampener on a tennis racket.

Secondary advantage is that it offers some protection against touch (heat) and impact. The wife and kids don’t mean to touch them but, well, you know.

By the way for the H5 I have for now settled on a Philips Heerlen E80CC (with adapter). It gives a very warm and vintage sound with a lot of mid bass. I found it necessary to balance that out with a leaner power tube or it all becomes too much. So there I put in a Philips JAN ECG 6080WC which I find very linear sounding. This combination sounds great on my Beyers.

Other observation: rolling pre-amp tubes on the H5 matters a lot. Like a chef you sprinkle in some tubes to determine the final taste. Depending on where you want to go you can make it sound like a H7 with its 6NP1 / E88CC.

This has made me appreciate how great the Eufonikas are as a tube “platform”. They don’t get in the way of the way tubes sound. They might even not have much sound of their own. And I think that’s impressive, a testament to the power and interstage engineering of Wieslaw. YOU control how the amp sounds precisely and limited only by the selection of tubes in that socket. It’s a select group of amps that can match that!

Oct 18, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #1,093 of 1,399
No doubt they look better without. Reason I keep them on is that the the tubes are microphonic - some more so than others - and this rack is on the table where I rattle my keyboard. They work very well to minimize such microphonic effects, same as a dampener on a tennis racket.

Secondary advantage is that it offers some protection against touch (heat) and impact. The wife and kids don’t mean to touch them but, well, you know.

By the way for the H5 I have for now settled on a Philips Heerlen E80CC (with adapter). It gives a very warm and vintage sound with a lot of mid bass. I found it necessary to balance that out with a leaner power tube or it all becomes too much. So there I put in a Philips JAN ECG 6080WC which I find very linear sounding. This combination sounds great on my Beyers.

Other observation: rolling pre-amp tubes on the H5 matters a lot. Like a chef you sprinkle in some tubes to determine the final taste. Depending on where you want to go you can make it sound like a H7 with its 6NP1 / E88CC.

This has made me appreciate how great the Eufonikas are as a tube “platform”. They don’t get in the way of the way tubes sound. They might even not have much sound of their own. And I think that’s impressive, a testament to the power and interstage engineering of Wieslaw. YOU control how the amp sounds precisely and limited only by the selection of tubes in that socket. It’s a select group of amps that can match that!
Great synopsis. With Eufonika amps, our audio palette is only limited by our NOS tube wallet. Best to start with a very fat one and let it burn off excess calories cash following the thermionic diet. :joy:

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #1,094 of 1,399
Where did you buy such nice adpter for e80cc ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back