Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Aug 4, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #946 of 1,388
Sorry - just feeling very fortunate and appreciative!

Attachments

• 0.2gear.jpg
    0.2gear.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 8, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #948 of 1,388
I am a bit interested in the Eufonika H5 or H7 amp, as an alternative to the Bottlehead Crack.

Funnily enough though I cannot find a single comparison to it in this Forum or any where else on the internet for the matter. So not quite confident to bite the bullet.

Also, how does the H5 compare to the H7?

From reading this thread, it seems overall the H5 is the most popular model.

Aug 8, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #949 of 1,388
I am a bit interested in the Eufonika H5 or H7 amp, as an alternative to the Bottlehead Crack.

Funnily enough though I cannot find a single comparison to it in this Forum or any where else on the internet for the matter. So not quite confident to bite the bullet.

I can't help you specifically but I can help.
I commissioned Wieslaw to do a non OTL for me (32 and 50 ohm cans). I'm his guinea pig regarding this new type of amp. Finally got it and it is A BEAST!!!!!!!!!! Way more powerful than I thought it would be (although my HEK Stealths and Sendy Peacocks are easy to drive!!) Looks amazing and sounds effing fantastic!!!!! It has a slight hum but he's aware of that. I'm sending it back and he is making a brand new one (mine was a prototype to use for 3-6 months and iron out bugs. Apart from the hum there are no bugs!!!!!
Absolutely love mine!!!
Sorry I can't help with OTLs though, but I se a hell of a lot of people happy with theirs though.

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #950 of 1,388

The H5 compares very well to a fully tricked out Crack - to my ears. And more flexible for tube rolling. Unlike the Crack, H5 can employ (very well) ECC81/EC92 drivers, where as the Crack is limited to low/medium mu drivers, 12AU7 or with adapter, 6SN7.

The power supply for the basic Crack is very basic. But can be tricked out to nearly match H5 performance. But not quite. The H5 uses an independent choke for each tube section + filtering. Which makes the H5 a much quieter listen, ime.

If you love DIY, then building a Crack and spending another $300-$500 upgrading parts, then it's great fun. I enjoyed building it and learning far too much about cold solder joints.

If you don't enjoy solder fumes and 3rd degree finger burns, the H5 is the safer choice. :joy:

The H5KPCU is my suggestion. It's a large (vital) sonic upgrade over the base model H5 with the Miflex caps. I had my H5 built as a cap rolling platform. Began as a base H5 with dangly wires. Added the Miflex caps myself (with only minor burns and cuts). Then embarked on a cap rolling campaign limited only by funds and self-healing properties. Mine, not the caps. 🤣

H5 versus the H7, it depends if you are happy rolling kiddie's tubes, then the H7 is a solid option. However the H5 opens up the realm of big grownup glass. :ksc75smile:

Not just the large 6SN7 family, but the galaxy of 6C5/6J5/6L5/6P5/L63 twins. It's a big wonderful tonal galaxy. And with other adapters, all the kiddies tubes can frolic in the big audio pool as well.

Later we can discuss the joys and (financial) perils of output tube rolling. H5 and H7 use the same 6AS7/6080 output tube configuration. But not limited to those big sonic bruisers.

I've recommended the H5 to friends and not only are we still friends, they enjoy the H5 and the financial madness of collecting over a 100 tubes as well. Out the dozens of amps I've had, tube and solid sand, the H5 has been my most enjoyable sonic adventure so far.

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #951 of 1,388
The H5 compares very well to a fully tricked out Crack - to my ears. And more flexible for tube rolling. Unlike the Crack, H5 can employ (very well) ECC81/EC92 drivers, where as the Crack is limited to low/medium mu drivers, 12AU7 or with adapter, 6SN7.

The power supply for the basic Crack is very basic. But can be tricked out to nearly match H5 performance. But not quite. The H5 uses an independent choke for each tube section + filtering. Which makes the H5 a much quieter listen, ime.

If you love DIY, then building a Crack and spending another $300-$500 upgrading parts, then it's great fun. I enjoyed building it and learning far too much about cold solder joints.

If you don't enjoy solder fumes and 3rd degree finger burns, the H5 is the safer choice. :joy:

The H5KPCU is my suggestion. It's a large (vital) sonic upgrade over the base model H5 with the Miflex caps. I had my H5 built as a cap rolling platform. Began as a base H5 with dangly wires. Added the Miflex caps myself (with only minor burns and cuts). Then embarked on a cap rolling campaign limited only by funds and self-healing properties. Mine, not the caps. 🤣

H5 versus the H7, it depends if you are happy rolling kiddie's tubes, then the H7 is a solid option. However the H5 opens up the realm of big grownup glass. :ksc75smile:

Not just the large 6SN7 family, but the galaxy of 6C5/6J5/6L5/6P5/L63 twins. It's a big wonderful tonal galaxy. And with other adapters, all the kiddies tubes can frolic in the big audio pool as well.

Later we can discuss the joys and (financial) perils of output tube rolling. H5 and H7 use the same 6AS7/6080 output tube configuration. But not limited to those big sonic bruisers.

I've recommended the H5 to friends and not only are we still friends, they enjoy the H5 and the financial madness of collecting over a 100 tubes as well. Out the dozens of amps I've had, tube and solid sand, the H5 has been my most enjoyable sonic adventure so far.
Yeah, that was my next sentence but you cut me off......... :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #953 of 1,388
Didn't see your signal lights at this distance... but saw the opening and hit the word button. Repeatedly. 🤣
Dude, you're like the funny einstein to my homer simpson!!!!!!!!!!!
You're a clever ****er and I'm....well.... a fat beer guzzling baffoon.......... :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: Hey but I like good gear and good music anyway..... cheers Lobal!!!!

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #954 of 1,388
Dude, you're like the funny einstein to my homer simpson!!!!!!!!!!!
You're a clever ****er and I'm....well.... a fat beer guzzling baffoon.......... :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: Hey but I like good gear and good music anyway..... cheers Lobal!!!!
And I prefer wine and whisky, not beer......

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #955 of 1,388

I found myself in the exact same situation. Today I can only help you partly, as I now own a Eufonika H7mk2 and not a Crack :wink:

I agree with what said previously. Besides that the Eufonikas come with better components. Go Bottlehead if you insist to DIY, go Eufonika if you simply want a better piece of kit. Sure, you can mod the Crack to death - and I guess that is the very point of that kit.
The H5 and H7 mostly differ in their driver tube, which will determine most of their sonic differences as well. Pick the tube families you want to roll and you’ll end up with either the H5 or H7.

Besides that the H7 has slightly better power supply filtering. If you get the H7, contact Wieslaw to get one with Miflex KPCUs. It’s not listed as a standard option but it’s the one you’d want. In my case it was the same price as the H5 with KPCUs.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #957 of 1,388
I found myself in the exact same situation. Today I can only help you partly, as I now own a Eufonika H7mk2 and not a Crack :wink:

I agree with what said previously. Besides that the Eufonikas come with better components. Go Bottlehead if you insist to DIY, go Eufonika if you simply want a better piece of kit. Sure, you can mod the Crack to death - and I guess that is the very point of that kit.

The H5 and H7 mostly differ in their driver tube, which will determine most of their sonic differences as well. Pick the tube families you want to roll and you’ll end up with either the H5 or H7.

Besides that the H7 has slightly better power supply filtering. If you get the H7, contact Wieslaw to get one with Miflex KPCUs. It’s not listed as a standard option but it’s the one you’d want. In my case it was the same price as the H5 with KPCUs.
Love it!!! You guys are next level, and you have my utmost respect and admiration!!! I get mine and go "wow - looks great. And wow - sounds amazing too!!" I wish I had the techichal know-how too. Respect to both of you!!

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #958 of 1,388

Doesn't matter which tube family you start with. It won't be the one you end with. 🤣

I'm listening to (adapted) kiddie's Brimar 6060 (ECC81) with (adapted) twin TFK ED8000 outputs while typing. Which is really hard as this combo is so distracting (Jordi Savall - Orient Occident) - so engaging with astonishing staging and sweet detail. My summer fav combo. 6AS7/6080s are for thermionic winter warmth.

The H7 (with adapters) can roll many of the big glass drivers, within the heater limits.

Also... like tubes... you can never have too many adapters. They made millions of tubes. Must roll them all. :ksc75smile:

Agree about the Miflex option in the H7. It's kind of a 'mandatory option'... the H7 power supply isn't slightly better than the H5. It is the same 4 section LC design as the H5. Or was. Wieslaw does refine his designs. For our sonic benefit.

Aug 8, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #960 of 1,388
Then I stand corrected on the power supply.

By the way, you said you did some cap rolling in your Eufonika. Which did you change and to what? I saw a couple Jamicons, not a fan of those, but had not investigated further yet.
I started with base model cap. Then used the KPCU Miflex.
Then used Amtrans AMCY for interstage coupling. Added 27uf Clarity ESA and KPCU for output bypass.
Then soviet era Teflon for interstage. Then Jantzen Silver for output bypass. Mundorf Silver/Gold Oil interstage.
Then lots of other combos.... currently have Duelund copper foil/silver foil for the interstage and Amtrans AMCY / Clarity 12uf for output bypass use.

Really like the Duelund copper foil/silver foil combo overall. The KPCU have a beautiful organic warmth. The Amtrans AMCY have excellent treble detail. Hard to pick just one. Must roll them all. Have a box of various soviet PIO to try. As well as some modern film caps from Audyn, Jupiter and others.

Plan to build a new larger enclosure to make cap rolling a bit easier and have the space for 110uf of giant Clarity ESA film caps for output stage (replacing the 470uf electrolytic) + smaller film bypass like Duelund/Mundorf/Amtrans. Hoping that I hear a big change with all film caps on the output. If not... oh well... giant film caps have a gravitas all their own. :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back