Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Apr 20, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #421 of 1,388
Did you look at the McChanson offerings as well? Being located in Australia, communication as well as shipping should be a lot easier. He does a lot of different amps, also custom amps, he might have a an EL34/6CA7 design available also. There’s a McChanson thread here on head-fi (in case you missed it).

Thank you - I've read the McChanson thread and contacted some of the owners on our local forum.
I am chatting with Eric concurrently. He is the local custom build that I am also considering.

I will most likely end up purchasing several amps to compare over 6-12 months before deciding on a keeper.

Whilst I enjoy the EL34 in my loudspeaker system, I was not considering using EL34 for my headphone amp. Hopefully something smaller with a similar sound, suitable for headphones.

The H5 Miflex is in the sweet spot price wise. Australian orders get hit with 10% GST but it is still cheaper than an Echo Mark II.

I am hoping a gain switch will result in a usable potentiometer range with the Grado.

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #422 of 1,388
I believe HD5S had a gain switch (possibly as a custom option), so adding one to H5 miflex should be feasible. I agree, H5 miflex appears to hit the sweet spot. I have recently suggested to Wieslaw that he had a look at further upgrade possibilities for the amp, though maybe it's reached its full potential as it is. If it is any consolation, norwegian VAT is 25%, so your 10% is a bargain :)

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #423 of 1,388
I have recently suggested to Wieslaw that he had a look at further upgrade possibilities for the amp, though maybe it's reached its full potential as it is.

When asked for potential parts upgrades Wieslaw said: Whatever you dream of. You can replace the potentiometer, transformer, power supply, change the tube connection, etc.
Because I steered towards nothing too crazy he suggested the TKD 2CP-2511 potentiometer for an additional €80. Didn't go for it, but to say the possibilities are there.

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #425 of 1,388
When asked for potential parts upgrades Wieslaw said: Whatever you dream of. You can replace the potentiometer, transformer, power supply, change the tube connection, etc.
Because I steered towards nothing too crazy he suggested the TKD 2CP-2511 potentiometer for an additional €80. Didn't go for it, but to say the possibilities are there.
I was more thinking of a proven upgrade path, so actually tested and proven to provide superior sound quality. The Miflex KPCU-01 caps, which I believe have proven themselves to be a worthwhile upgrade, were introduced by Wieslaw just 5 months ago. I actually mentioned them to him all the way back in 2019 when my H16M was in the planning stage (the amp needed 90 uF caps, so Miflex MKP-11 was chosen instead). The TKD 2CP-2511 was used in my H12G back in 2019, and then again in H16M, so Wieslaw will have had the opportunity to compare it with Alps Blue and assess whether it is a worthwhile upgrade. Wieslaw saying “tell me what you want, and I will make it” doesn’t really constitute a proven upgrade path in itself. Also, if changing a lot of stuff, perhaps it would be more worthwhile to go for a higher grade amp in the first place. Anyway, I know he is very busy fulfilling orders, so experimenting with potential upgrades might not be a first priority.

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #426 of 1,388
Placed my order with Wieslaw this morning.

H5 + Miflex KPCU
- Low/High gain switch
- 2x line inputs
- no pre amp
- LED: Green/no signal, Red/signal

2x line inputs so I can A/B various sources easily
LED: I prefer Red=HOT, Green=Standby as opposed to traffic light (Red=Stop, Green=Go)

Looking forward to many long listening sessions :)

Apr 21, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #427 of 1,388
My diy project for the h5 miflex for this summer will be to integrate a Fiio BTA30 Bluetooth dac in the housing to have an all in one dac tube amp with Bluetooth. Might drag it outside on the terrace and have a cigar while listening
How does it compare to the Feliks Elise?

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #428 of 1,388
Placed my order with Wieslaw this morning.

H5 + Miflex KPCU
- Low/High gain switch
- 2x line inputs
- no pre amp
- LED: Green/no signal, Red/signal

2x line inputs so I can A/B various sources easily
LED: I prefer Red=HOT, Green=Standby as opposed to traffic light (Red=Stop, Green=Go)

Looking forward to many long listening sessions :)

Congrats!:relaxed: And good reminder about the LED. Think I'm going with white/orange or something. Green/red is a bit alarming and kind of plain ugly on such a pretty amp. Going on pictures prettier than the shoe box sized Bottlehead Crack.

Question: why ditch the pre amp completely? I mean is there an advantage over having it in there unused?

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #429 of 1,388
Question: why ditch the pre amp completely? I mean is there an advantage over having it in there unused?
I exchanged the pre-amp for the extra input, input selector, and gain switch.
I have no use for the extra complexity and cost of the pre-amp function.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #431 of 1,388
@MultiplexMan: Out of curiosity, is there a reason you chose not to upgrade the Alps Blue potentiometer?
I noted the option in one of your posts.
€80 is a lot to spend on a potentiometer upgrade. I trust Wieslaw‘s selection of the Alps Blue as the baseline.

Apr 23, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #432 of 1,388
I guess my starting point was a bit different, in that both H12G and H16M were all new designs (and so is the one I am currently waiting for). This made me assess the value proposition of the various parts from the outset, and with my budget being a little higher, the potentiometer upgrade seemed mandatory. As good as the Blue Alps is, there are better options available. I can’t remember if I already posted my VC chart below, but this is what I used when considering what to go for. The Goldpoint V24 or V47 stepped attenuator should probably be added to the chart.

VC.png

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #433 of 1,388
Hi,

Maybe a strange question on a headphone forum... But has anybody tested the pre-out to a power amplifier? I’m testing a H5 + Miflex KPCU right now with my headphones. Would be great if it works well as as a preamp to.

Apr 27, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #434 of 1,388
I have just received my H5 + Miflex KPCU amp however the dimensions are not the same as what Wieslaw stated; hence I am wondering now if I got sent the right model. How does one tell if the one I received is the H5 with the Miflex KPCU caps?

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-27 at 2.17.55 PM.jpeg

Apr 27, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #435 of 1,388
The tall case indicates miflex version. Etsy ad says 15 cm height, regular H5 is 12,5. It doesn't say if with or without tubes. Yours looks a lot like the miflex version pictured previously in this thread. I suspect Wieslaw gave you the wrong dimensions, not the wrong amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back