Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Oct 20, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #226 of 1,388
Hi, just gathering some info, I do wonder how does the darkvoice 336se stack up against the H5? Does anyone have both as a comparison? Grateful for some insights on how they compare to each other. Thanks.
Without going in to too much details. I have a lightly moded DV with changed Alps pot and pre out section cut. Sound quality is about the same. Tubes come in to play more or less. The H5 definitely has better components all around. H5 feels more refined and slightly clearer. More detail if you will.
PXL_20211020_151701293~2.jpg

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #227 of 1,388
Without going in to too much details. I have a lightly moded DV with changed Alps pot and pre out section cut. Sound quality is about the same. Tubes come in to play more or less. The H5 definitely has better components all around. H5 feels more refined and slightly clearer. More detail if you will.
PXL_20211020_151701293~2.jpg
Thank you for sharing. That's a wonderful selection of tubes you have there. Bravo!

Oct 31, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #231 of 1,388
Ha, I think just barely. I've never had an occasion to turn it up that high. I ordered a few different bakelite knobs to try out, with this vintage skirted RCA one being a good choice for one that definitely doesn't have clearance issues, and looks good without being too over the top.
1635693256266.jpeg

Sound-wise, I do feel like I'm getting more engaging & impactful sound when I lower the input signal and turn up the volume on the h7m. Inserting a preamp into the mix will be a fun experiment.

Oct 31, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #232 of 1,388
As far as I know a logarithmic potentiometer (like the Alps Blue) by construction principle has the optimal wiper contact point(s) somewhere around 1-2 o’clock. It would make sense to lower the output signal from the DAC to arrive at that point for your prefered listening volume. I checked the specs for your DAC, it outputs 2.9V, so on the high side compared to standard line level 2V. Are you able to adjust the DAC output signal within the DAC itself, or are you using external attenuators?

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #233 of 1,388
Right now I'm just attenuating in foobar (not optimal, I know). I had a set of rca in-line attenuators, but I didn't like the sound, or the company behind them. I have a Denafrips Athena on the way, which is a unity gain preamp. Another option would be upsampling to DSD, which would halve the dac's output voltage, but that's one for the future since my current pc can't handle it.

Oct 31, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #234 of 1,388
Got myself two of these (knob w/dial plate) for a possible next Eufonika amp. With a separate pot for left and right channel the dial plate will make it easier to match levels (I think/hope).

vol knob.png

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #236 of 1,388
The tube is inexpensive, supplies are plenty, it performs well, and being a directly heated pentode, if triode-strapped will be akin to DHT. In a single-ended design you will then have a DHT SET amp, but 4P1L could also be used in an OTL design - Here is an interesting discussion about SET vs OTL.

The point is that with the tubes being inexpensive, the money can be used for higher grade parts throughout instead. A top grade potentiometer would be on my list of upgrades, just to mention one example.

Now, don't ask me how it will sound :) but at least in theory it is an interesting project. When funds allow it, I might go that route myself.
Well, have set the wheels in motion on this one myself..

- 2P29L into 4P1L
- both triode-strapped
- with filament bias
- possibly with mono pots

.. that's the starting point for Wieslaw's prototyping, which may or may not amount to an actual amp travelling north.

Cool looking tubes, I think, not much show/glow, but an industrial vibe instead.

2П29Л 4П1Л.jpg

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #237 of 1,388
I recently received my Eufonika H5 OTL headphone amp and thought I’d write a little review.

I’ve been using a hybrid tube amp for several years and have been pretty happy with it. It’s a good fit with my Aryas, but when I recently got a pair of 300ohm ZMF Aeolus headphones, I felt I needed an OTL amp to drive them.

I had pretty high expectations for the H5 after reading other impressions of Eufonika amplifiers on this thread, and I have not been disappointed. The amp sounds superb with my ZMF Aeolus and Sennheiser HD540 headphones. It has an excellent frequency response, reaching deep into the bass end, which is detailed and well-controlled, never flabby or muddy. The mids are slightly warm, with fantastic detail that perfectly fits the incredible timbre of the Aeolus headphones. And somewhat to my surprise for an OTL amp, the highs are not rolled off in the least, but clear, and again, detailed. It has a slight warmth, along with the holographic staging I’ve only heard with tubes, but there is nothing sluggish or overly tubey about this amp.

I could not be happier - the H5 is just sonically perfect. Wieslaw, the owner of Eufonika, upgraded the caps to Miflex KPCU input capacitors, and even he said “Low frequency control is brilliant :)” I recommend the cap upgrade if you order an H5.

You can see from the photos that the build quality is excellent. Wieslaw definitely knows what he’s doing. Also note that the oak box is nicely finished. It’s a little deeper than the stock box in order to accommodate the Miflex caps.

You'll want to run the power cord straight to the wall outlet and away from any transformers. Don't plug it into a power strip full of AC adapters/wall warts, etc., or your tubes may hum. I had some humming power tubes until I got a new cord and plugged the amp in, on its own, into the wall socket, and all the humming disappeared.

Overall the H5 is a brilliant amplifier and well worth the price. If you own or are thinking about becoming a ZMF (or Sennheiser, or other high impedance) headphone owner, I highly recommend you consider a Eufonika amplifier.

Each of those four Miflex caps is mounted on a choke, so although Wieslaw doesn't mention it in his descriptions ot the H5, it has the same 4 chokes as the H7. As he says of the H7, "four electric chokes are used. That greatly reduces output noise (hum) and provides perfect current for vacuum tubes."

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #238 of 1,388
I recently received my Eufoniks H5 OTL headphone amp and thought I’d write a little review.

I’ve been using a hybrid tube amp for several years and have been pretty happy with it. It’s a good fit with my Aryas, but when I recently got a pair of 300ohm ZMF Aeolus headphones, I felt I needed an OTL amp to drive them.

I had pretty high expectations for the H5 after reading other impressions of Eufoniks amplifiers on this thread, and I have not been disappointed. The amp sounds superb with my ZMF Aeolus and Sennheiser HD540 headphones. It has an excellent frequency response, reaching deep into the bass end, which is detailed and well-controlled, never flabby or muddy. The mids are slightly warm, with fantastic detail that perfectly fits the incredible timbre of the Aeolus headphones. And somewhat to my surprise for an OTL amp, the highs are not rolled off in the least, but clear, and again, detailed. It has a slight warmth, along with the holographic staging I’ve only heard with tubes, but there is nothing sluggish or overly tubey about this amp.

I could not be happier - the H5 is just sonically perfect. Wieslaw, the owner of Eufoniks, upgraded the caps to Miflex KPCU input capacitors, and even he said “Low frequency control is brilliant :)” I recommend the cap upgrade if you order an H5.

You can see from the photos that the build quality is excellent. Wieslaw definitely knows what he’s doing. Also note that the oak box is nicely finished. It’s a little deeper than the stock box in order to accommodate the Miflex caps.

Unfortunately, although the amp is 120V for use in the US, it came with a European 240V power cord so I had to use the cord from my TV in order to listen to the amp until I could buy a new cord. Maybe Wieslaw can supply a 120V power cord in the future - or no cord at all, since the European cord is useless in North America.

But that is a minor detail - overall the H5 is a brilliant amplifier and well worth the price. If you own or are thinking about becoming a ZMF (or Sennheiser, or other high impedance) headphone owner, I highly recommend you consider a Eufonika amplifier.

Wow, it really looks nice. Deeper box looks much better:)

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #239 of 1,388
Unfortunately, although the amp is 120V for use in the US, it came with a European 240V power cord so I had to use the cord from my TV in order to listen to the amp until I could buy a new cord. Maybe Wieslaw can supply a 120V power cord in the future - or no cord at all, since the European cord is useless in North America.
Wieslaw assures me that all amplifiers shipped to the US will have the correct power cord. I bet the goes for Canada, too. :wink:

@mvneufeld Can I ask you a question on the power supply? I just received my H5 today as well -- and same as you, I got the EU power cord. My outlet plug on the H5 looks like this - using a 250V fuse. Is there a way to tell that unit is indeed set for US/115-120v use? Does yours look like this as well? I don't want to plug this in have it meltdown in a fiery flame. I mean I know Wieslaw specifically asked me over text/chat about the voltage and my being in the US so i'm sure its ok. Still I saw this and just have a little concern. Lol. Thanks.

20211117_163615.jpg

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #240 of 1,388
@mvneufeld Can I ask you a question on the power supply? I just received my H5 today as well -- and same as you, I got the EU power cord. My outlet plug on the H5 looks like this - using a 250V fuse. Is there a way to tell that unit is indeed set for US/115-120v use? Does yours look like this as well? I don't want to plug this in have it meltdown in a fiery flame. I mean I know Wieslaw specifically asked me over text/chat about the voltage and my being in the US so i'm sure its ok. Still I saw this and just have a little concern. Lol. Thanks.

I hadn't noticed, but yes mine has the same outlet plug. I know for sure that the transformer in mine is 120V and my amp is running correctly. Yours should be fine. I'll check with Wiesaw, but I don't think you have to worry about that fuse.

ed. - I just heard from Wieslaw, and he says "Yes of course everything is OK. Unfortunately, I cannot buy such a socket with the inscription 110V at a normal price."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back