Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Oct 2, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #183 of 1,388
^^
The gain switch is a useful feature.
Which vol pot did you opt for?

I did not request anything specific in terms of vol pot to be honest. I had a look at one of gut photos and it says "ALPS JAPAN 049G 10KA x 2". I guess "10KA x 2" means it's a stereo 10kOhm with an audio taper, and perhaps "049G" is some manufacturing date code as I could not google it. Not sure if all Alps are Blue Velvets, Beauties or whatever, but it is of blue colour :).

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #186 of 1,388
Someone seems to be enjoying it..

i am thinking on Eufonika amp for my Verite open. Already contacted Wieslaw. Probably something around h5 but with tube power supply. Very initial thought though. In any case would like to have something not very complicated, but with high quality elements. Would also like to change wooden cover. The stock one clearly seems to be very low budget quality... Does anybody have customised wooden cover?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #187 of 1,388
I don't think the standard oak frame is that bad, I actually like it the way it is. Unless you are a woodworker, or know someone who is, a custom wooden frame would set you back €250-350 (if etsy LP12 plinths are a valid comparison).

Oct 2, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #188 of 1,388
I don't think the standard oak frame is that bad, I actually like it the way it is. Unless you are a woodworker, or know someone who is, a custom wooden frame would set you back €250-350 (if etsy LP12 plinths are a valid comparison).
Oak is fine, it is just at the pictures i have seen the frame seems not to be cut precisely. I have not seen the frame myself, but there seem to be sharp edges at the photos.

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #189 of 1,388
On the two of mine corners have been fine, but I understand what you referring to. Wood isn’t as easy to work with as most seem to think. It expands and contracts with humidity, especially if not properly dried before usage. Living in a all-wooden house like I do, you become painfully aware of these things. You also develop a tolerance towards these small imperfections. In Wieslaw’s amps you don’t pay for the frame, you pay for parts, amp design, and labour. I did research frames a bit, but the costs of having a competent woodworker make one exceeded what I was willing to pay just for looks.

I once ordered a rather expensive 5-tier custom wooden hifi rack from a competent woodworker (or so I thought). It arrived in the middle of the winter, and once set up in room temperature, all shelves started to curl up, to the point of rendering them unusable. Apparently the wood had been stored in a place with too much humidity, and once exposed to room temperature the moisture vapourated and the wood contracted.

About the skewed frame mentioned earlier (one foot not touching ground).. A well-known british hi-end hifi manufacturer had a number of units with this problem (and on a continuous basis), and simply offered shims to correct it. If you pay premium prices, you don’t expect these kinds of imperfections, but if the product otherwise is ‘perfect’, you learn to live with them.

If you know, that you are going to exchange the standard oak frame for something better looking, you could consult with Wieslaw about having the internals mounted in a way that makes it easy to swap frames. I did this, in my current amp everything is attached to the top plate. If I ever decide to swap the frame, I simply unscrew both plates and move the whole thing to the new frame.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #190 of 1,388
On the two of mine corners have been fine, but I understand what you referring to. Wood isn’t as easy to work with as most seem to think. It expands and contracts with humidity, especially if not properly dried before usage. Living in a all-wooden house like I do, you become painfully aware of these things. You also develop a tolerance towards these small imperfections. In Wieslaw’s amps you don’t pay for the frame, you pay for parts, amp design, and labour. I did research frames a bit, but the costs of having a competent woodworker make one exceeded what I was willing to pay just for looks.

I once ordered a rather expensive 5-tier custom wooden hifi rack from a competent woodworker (or so I thought). It arrived in the middle of the winter, and once set up in room temperature, all shelves started to curl up, to the point of rendering them unusable. Apparently the wood had been stored in a place with too much humidity, and once exposed to room temperature the moisture vapourated and the wood contracted.

About the skewed frame mentioned earlier (one foot not touching ground).. A well-known british hi-end hifi manufacturer had a number of units with this problem (and on a continuous basis), and simply offered shims to correct it. If you pay premium prices, you don’t expect these kinds of imperfections, but if the product otherwise is ‘perfect’, you learn to live with them.

If you know, that you are going to exchange the standard oak frame for something better looking, you could consult with Wieslaw about having the internals mounted in a way that makes it easy to swap frames. I did this, in my current amp everything is attached to the top plate. If I ever decide to swap the frame, I simply unscrew both plates and move the whole thing to the new frame.

I do not think it has anything to do with humidity ect. The frames at the pictures are simply badly cut with sharp edges making an impression that somebody did it in a hurry and decided not to polish it. Look at ampsandsound and decware amps, or even bottle head crack (similar frame design) for comparison. Same with foot not touching the ground. In any case i would not like to make or order a frame on my own, hope it can be properly dealt by Eufonika.

I am not criticising just to criticise so do not want to argue about this more. Eufonika are really interesting amps and i am seriously considering one. Ordering something simple in design but with premium parts is really tempting. But it simply can not have sharp frame edges or too short foots..

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #191 of 1,388
I am not sure what you mean by sharp corners. Joining two wooden side panels can be done in different ways. As far as I can judge they all produce sharp corners, unless you decide to round them subsequently.

There is a bottlehead builder on Etsy with some nice cabinets. They have mitered butt joints, like on Wieslaw's amps, and look exactly the same.

Ampsandsound isn't really a fair comparison, here prices, parts and attention to detail are a couple of notches up compared to Eufonika.

I think it is completely fair to discuss all aspects of the Eufonika offerings, I think that is the whole point of this thread. And if no-one addresses the various issues, how is wieslaw ever going to know, and improve things in future offerings.

Oct 3, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #192 of 1,388
I am not sure what you mean by sharp corners. Joining two wooden side panels can be done in different ways. As far as I can judge they all produce sharp corners, unless you decide to round them subsequently.

I mean this:

1082566927_EufonikaH5.jpg.c4de21b108d3c7309aaf7547b3ea9e7e.jpg

Looking at pictures it seems standard. Looks like complete lack of care. Even bottlehead seems to have it right. Buying cheaper things People still want to have them properly done, i.e. frames properly cut and all foots equal. It is not luxury. I do not care about exotic wood but at least oak should look properly. I hope it can be upgraded.

Btw i understand You ordered some amps at Eufonika. Was it possible to choose top quality parts instead of budget ones?

Oct 3, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #193 of 1,388
Hello,
This is caused by sawing either with a blunt saw blade or the saw tooth is too coarse.
The classic is also that you are sawing and the wood slat is not pushed all the way through or is fixed by the fence and then this also happens.

Often you make the mistake of bending the wood in two when it is sawn through and still holds together a little.

Not to be forgotten, of course, is that the wood is most unstable at this point.
That is its weakest point.

It's nothing bad, but it's certainly unattractive to look at.
But I think it's because of the saw blade, especially wood is quite sensitive in that respect.
They don't like coarse or fine saw blades.
And if it's blunt, they don't like it either.

I also think that there is no problem if you make one yourself.
It would not be difficult.
When it is dry, you can or should always coat it with something, glaze, paint, anything you can buy at the DIY store is certainly not harmful.
Otherwise it will break down very quickly.

I understand the suggestions of the users, but you should not forget that what Eufonika offers is far from what you get from China.
I would mention it to the custom enquirer that he should pay attention to this.
Maybe he will pay more attention to it in the future.

Or you simply have to tell him that he should pay more attention to this.
Open and honest communication is sometimes better.😉

Oct 3, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #194 of 1,388
I understand the suggestions of the users, but you should not forget that what Eufonika offers is far from what you get from China.
I would mention it to the custom enquirer that he should pay attention to this.
Maybe he will pay more attention to it in the future.

Absolutely agree. Please understand me well, i suspect Eufonika is a great amp producer but really unnecessarily looses some points because such things. I am really thinking seriously on ordering an amp and have already contacted the producer (and mentioned my concerns).

Oct 3, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #195 of 1,388
As mentioned mine did not look like the above picture. Yes, you can upgrade parts. You might need some prior knowledge to be able to choose what you want. There isn't a given and specific upgrade path for each model, you will have to state what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back