Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Apr 3, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #1,366 of 1,388
Do you also know of some affordable tubes that are closer to my home country? :D German, Russian, Polish or in EU overall?
I am planning to listen on "stock" tubes for quite awhile but since I have zero tubes in my collection I wanted to get some affordable ones :)
I did see quite a few british ones I might get in your recommendations but shipping prices are a bit steep haha

Could search locally for RFT 6SN7, Foton or Melz 6H8C / 6N8S. You might even find a good Melz 1578 if you're patient. Early 50s Melz 6H8C is a great tube.

If you or your amp were adaptable - using a 12xx to 6SN7 adapter, then a another sonic ocean opens. Foil getter RFT ECC82 and ECC81 from early 60s are a wonderful contrast to the 6SN7. With an upfront, detailed presentation.

Then if you opted for a dual 6J5-to-6SN7 adapter (and why wouldn't you), then you can consider all the great Twins, including Novosibirsk 6S2S as well as the overseas 6J5s.

There's a number of German tube sellers, both on eBay and own sites that sell many of the old British tubes.

For 6SN7s (and CV133 twins) check: Analogkontor from Germany. Great seller, good prices. Also has hundreds of tubes not listed on his site or eBay.

As well as TubeAmpDoctor from Germany has some NOS and new production 6SN7s.

Will go through my list of vendors in the EU and update later. Happy rolling!

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #1,367 of 1,388
Yes, I've got a Philips Heerlen E80CC in and it's pretty amazing. I'd say that one is quite mellow actually, so it pairs well with a power tube that's a bit more forward. And those can usually be had quite cheaply, like the Philips JAN ECG 6080WC. The E80CCs I think I snatched off of eBay from a EU seller at a decent price too.

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #1,368 of 1,388
Could search locally for RFT 6SN7, Foton or Melz 6H8C / 6N8S. You might even find a good Melz 1578 if you're patient. Early 50s Melz 6H8C is a great tube.

If you or your amp were adaptable - using a 12xx to 6SN7 adapter, then a another sonic ocean opens. Foil getter RFT ECC82 and ECC81 from early 60s are a wonderful contrast to the 6SN7. With an upfront, detailed presentation.

Then if you opted for a dual 6J5-to-6SN7 adapter (and why wouldn't you), then you can consider all the great Twins, including Novosibirsk 6S2S as well as the overseas 6J5s.

There's a number of German tube sellers, both on eBay and own sites that sell many of the old British tubes.

For 6SN7s (and CV133 twins) check: Analogkontor from Germany. Great seller, good prices. Also has hundreds of tubes not listed on his site or eBay.

As well as TubeAmpDoctor from Germany has some NOS and new production 6SN7s.

Will go through my list of vendors in the EU and update later. Happy rolling!

Thank you so much! I will definitely have to look into the adapters aswell, my amp will be H5KPCU so I imagine I can use these aswell.

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #1,369 of 1,388
Thank you so much! I will definitely have to look into the adapters aswell, my amp will be H5KPCU so I imagine I can use these aswell.
Yes you can! It's a very adaptable amp.

Can support dozens and dozens of different driver tube types. And some excellent alternatives to the usual 6AS7/6080/6Н5С 6N5S output tubes. More adapters required... because eventually one accumulates dozens and dozens of adapters. @Deyan can help you with a clean dirty dozen right here. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #1,370 of 1,388
You can find a pair of GEC CV4079 on German eBay now and then and buy an adapter from @Deyan on this forum. That will give you better sound than most 6080/6AS7g tubes. You could also buy an adapter for a pair of 6J5/6C5 tubes for input at the same time. The humble metal versions give very good value for money and the Russian 6C2C/6S2S are said to do the same. They would give you an alternative to the Melz 6H8C/6N8S that is a Russian version of 6SN7. If you find one of these from the fifties you will be happy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265348682503?itmmeta=01HTK0FMFSMJKZMXEYGPGZM1YR&hash=item3dc8039307:g:A-EAAOSwBnZbD5AW&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA4EyJNAfFmoEjwU3Z209F9a8wX3mGJuNcYgId7F1JDmMR6KkheNF6tEuofzXcazzbYTM0KbZuI2Cd4leAKSvmF1X8ROK4OYPo3U2bAfzJCEtmtEBtRi0G/Wgu1E4W99vI/RTroiPj0y0QIFsAGmiEQ7HGO5JBwaHPMPk9h4gp59BTAx1/+1sklku0+mWuQHerBo6THkih8Vs5VSneJsDj+g3AGO4hjO4lLKveu43Gud6XOBX7EpxNSwqwvUuwLPCicRkDgQu3Hek+0wCo7IIEnV5PbVPUoVwD5cbfzwviT0Af|tkp:Bk9SR4DIvuDUYw This is a very good source for GEC 4079 of a good vintage. I have bought a quad from him and I like them better than the more modern version I bought from Langrex in UK before Brexit. I have also bought from Analogkontor and regard him as a good seller as well. Nice and helpful person too.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #1,371 of 1,388
Hello I have just ordered the H5KPCU model, I am new to tube amps, could you guys give me some recommendations for NOS (or modern) tubes that are good for music but not too expensive? My headphones are Beyer's DT990 PRO 250 ohm.
Welcome mate!!!! Lots of intelligent and well-versed gents here.......I'm not one haha!!!! But Eufonika amps are lovely!!

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #1,372 of 1,388
Yes you can! It's a very adaptable amp.

Can support dozens and dozens of different driver tube types. And some excellent alternatives to the usual 6AS7/6080/6Н5С 6N5S output tubes. More adapters required... because eventually one accumulates dozens and dozens of adapters. @Deyan can help you with a clean dirty dozen right here. :sweat_smile:
Oh thank you so much! I will have to message Deyan in the future then :D
You can find a pair of GEC CV4079 on German eBay now and then and buy an adapter from @Deyan on this forum. That will give you better sound than most 6080/6AS7g tubes. You could also buy an adapter for a pair of 6J5/6C5 tubes for input at the same time. The humble metal versions give very good value for money and the Russian 6C2C/6S2S are said to do the same. They would give you an alternative to the Melz 6H8C/6N8S that is a Russian version of 6SN7. If you find one of these from the fifties you will be happy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265348682503?itmmeta=01HTK0FMFSMJKZMXEYGPGZM1YR&hash=item3dc8039307:g:A-EAAOSwBnZbD5AW&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA4EyJNAfFmoEjwU3Z209F9a8wX3mGJuNcYgId7F1JDmMR6KkheNF6tEuofzXcazzbYTM0KbZuI2Cd4leAKSvmF1X8ROK4OYPo3U2bAfzJCEtmtEBtRi0G/Wgu1E4W99vI/RTroiPj0y0QIFsAGmiEQ7HGO5JBwaHPMPk9h4gp59BTAx1/+1sklku0+mWuQHerBo6THkih8Vs5VSneJsDj+g3AGO4hjO4lLKveu43Gud6XOBX7EpxNSwqwvUuwLPCicRkDgQu3Hek+0wCo7IIEnV5PbVPUoVwD5cbfzwviT0Af|tkp:Bk9SR4DIvuDUYw This is a very good source for GEC 4079 of a good vintage. I have bought a quad from him and I like them better than the more modern version I bought from Langrex in UK before Brexit. I have also bought from Analogkontor and regard him as a good seller as well. Nice and helpful person too.
Oh those are pretty affordable too! Thank you so much for recommendations, I will have to get on them.
Welcome mate!!!! Lots of intelligent and well-versed gents here.......I'm not one haha!!!! But Eufonika amps are lovely!!
Thank you for the welcome, I wouldn't call myself that either and it will be definitely visible in my posts :beyersmile:I cannot wait for it to arrive(well first to be made), I am looking forward to getting and testing DT990 600 Ohm version on it.

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #1,374 of 1,388
High Z Beyers were just made for OTL. Will be great.
So I have heard! I am prepared to relisten to everything in my collection and then maybe upgrade something else in my system or test other tubes. I will need to educate myself on the adapters but this forum seems like it will be my salvation from making dumb mistakes.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #1,375 of 1,388
So I have heard! I am prepared to relisten to everything in my collection and then maybe upgrade something else in my system or test other tubes. I will need to educate myself on the adapters but this forum seems like it will be my salvation from making dumb mistakes.
That's great! We're here to help you make smart mistakes. :ksc75smile:

Mistakes like using an adapted RFT ECC81 instead of a 6SN7. Or a pair of CV4079s instead of a current-guzzling 6AS7. And other sonically enjoyable mistakes. :wink:

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #1,376 of 1,388
That's great! We're here to help you make smart mistakes. :ksc75smile:

Mistakes like using an adapted RFT ECC81 instead of a 6SN7. Or a pair of CV4079s instead of a current-guzzling 6AS7. And other sonically enjoyable mistakes. :wink:

I will definitely need these converters :beyersmile: So far after reading a lot in this forum and also doing more research on the side I even started dreaming about tubes, need to relax and wait till I get my amplifier first. As for headphones, which ones you guys prefer on the OTL tube amp, DT990 250 or 600 ohm? Does higher impedance generally sound better on them? Are there other notable high ohm headphones I should take a look at besides Beyers?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #1,377 of 1,388
my H5 is now in the classifieds

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #1,378 of 1,388
Also not a direct fan of the Icon HP8 when I look at it from a value-for-money perspective:

Screen-Shot-2016-07-13-at-11.24.22.png

Point-to-point wiring is done OK but components aren't the boutique kind that I would want to see for that kind of money.

Have not tried the hybrid Eufonika yet, but its MOSFET output stage should be pretty great... if you'd consider a solid-state output stage.
bought a used SE model, so not quite as in the pic inside.
sounds pretty darn good to me. to my ears the only downside compared to my H5 is a slight hiss when no music playing.
the plus, however, the HP8 beats the H5 with the few low imp cans i have.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #1,379 of 1,388
The amp sounded great right out of the box but I'm not sure if it's just the tubes burning in, or the amp itself. The sound is getting better by time. It's only been a couple of weeks but the sound just seems more organic and open.

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #1,380 of 1,388
The amp sounded great right out of the box but I'm not sure if it's just the tubes burning in, or the amp itself. The sound is getting better by time. It's only been a couple of weeks but the sound just seems more organic and open.
Great observation. The Miflex caps take some time to best display their sonic juice. I found it took about 100 hours for them to open up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back