Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #1,291 of 1,388
any suggestions on an OTC amp that would compete with H5 in performance?
i am thinking Icon HP8 but was hoping for something cheaper

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #1,292 of 1,388
any suggestions on an OTC amp that would compete with H5 in performance?
i am thinking Icon HP8 but was hoping for something cheaper
Mcchanson-great bloke ( like Wieslaw is) in Sydney Australia. Eric Chan is his name.!I have both snd lovevthem equally!! Look up Mcchanson in n eBay!!

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #1,293 of 1,388
Those of you who follow this thread, or the Reference 6SN7 or Schiit Happened threads, among others, have probably seen posts by Globalwarming. He has been offering up wry comments and sage advice about cap and tube rolling for some time, and I consider him a friend and mentor. Well, not long ago he mentioned a DIY “traffo house” here that he uses to listen to his Hifiman Arya planars with his H5. I built one for about $50 so I could listen to my Aryas, and let me tell you it sounds great. If you have planars or other low impedance ‘phones you’d like to use wth your OTL amp, I highly recommend you encourage Global to share his schematic. It’s an easy build - believe me, if I could build it, you can. Here's a shot of mine:
Your post has received nearly 4 likes. That's all the encouragement I need to bare my humble soldering, construction and cheapskatedness to all.

Here's how to wire up a 70V traffo for H5 use. The OSD 20W 70V traffo sounds surprisingly better than the meagre cost would suggest.

A traffo upgrade is also possible, like the Hammond 119A or Toroidy TTG-6C33CSE. Uncertain if the sonics would increase 8 times by the 8X cost increase. And would certainly violate the cheapskate code -if cheapskates weren't too cheap to publish a code.

12269770.jpg

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #1,295 of 1,388
I continue to be delighted that I can use my Hifiman Arya with the H5 using LobalWarming's traffo-house(r). I also have a ZMF Atrium, but I find myself using the Arya more - that's how good it sounds.

If you decide to build a traffo-house, here's a few notes that LobalWarming sent me:
• Make sure your box is large enough that you can place the transformers at least 2 inches apart.
• 1K tap to 4ohm output will be lowest volume and lowest detail. The 250ohm tap and 8ohm output will give the most volume and detail.
There's a spot in the middle where Lobal spliced wires together that might be a little confusing, so I've added lines showing how the brown and red wires go.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #1,296 of 1,388
I continue to be delighted that I can use my Hifiman Arya with the H5 using Globalwarming's traffo-house(r). I also have a ZMF Atrium, but I find myself using the Arya more - that's how good it sounds.

If you decide to build a traffo-house, here's a few notes that LobalWarming sent me:
• Make sure your box is large enough that you can place the transformers at least 2 inches apart.
• 1K tap to 4ohm output will be lowest volume and lowest detail. The 250ohm tap and 8ohm output will give the most volume and detail.
There's a spot in the middle where Global spliced wires together that might be a little confusing, so I've added lines showing how the brown and red wires go.
Must be an internet rendering glitch. Weren't any splices when I measured once and cut twice. :ksc75smile:

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #1,298 of 1,388
Mcchanson-great bloke ( like Wieslaw is) in Sydney Australia. Eric Chan is his name.!I have both snd lovevthem equally!! Look up Mcchanson in n eBay!!
i will take a look cheers

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #1,299 of 1,388

Attachments

• IMG_7301.jpeg
    IMG_7301.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #1,300 of 1,388
See above post. Make your own traffo-house for your H5 on the cheap. Good, cheap way to decide to invest in a heavy iron amp later.
this is interesting.
is there nothing like this on the market without diying?
i failed to find anything

tbh i do wish i had gone OTC in the first place, i wish to find planars to add to my headphone arsenal

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #1,301 of 1,388
this is interesting.
is there nothing like this on the market without diying?
i failed to find anything

tbh i do wish i had gone OTC in the first place, i wish to find planars to add to my headphone arsenal
Yes my eufonika otc is fantastic with my planars and Zmf 300 ohm but my otl absolutely blows with my planars.

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #1,303 of 1,388
And you still haven't made us a comparison. :p
Oh sorry mate-I will. I have a mate on this thread and Mcchanson thread who really knows his tubes. I’ve been tube rolling with his advice and I will do a comparison today when I get my lazy ass out of bed haha. I completely forgot. I’ll throw in a quick reference to the crackatwoa too (but OTL obviously). I’ll be back …….😁

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #1,305 of 1,388
Since it states that the Eufonika is a prototype, do you mind describing it as well?
Yes -happy to. I don’t have the best hearing and I’ll be a crap reviewer and most likely too general but I’ll give it a go……I had Lachlan from passion for sound listen to them too and he was very impressed!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back