etys or shures for the gym?
Apr 25, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #31 of 49
Wow, lots of information, thanks everyone!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll sit down and read through everyones comments then get some Shures or Etys I think
etysmile.gif

Apr 25, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
--> I find it funny someone concluded one should alltogether forget about listening to music at the gym, because true high-fidelity is compromised by movement, sweaty ears, microphonics etc. Only at head-fi! :wink:

Hehe, I think you're misstating what I said a bit. What I meant was that the *thud* you hear when running with the e2s completely drowns out the music. As for earbuds, they aren't that good either if you're in a noisy setting because you need to turn them up really loud, which can lead to hearing damage.

That said, commando, I didn't talk about the e3 because you didn't mention them in your original post, but if you won't be running into the problem of having to remove and insert the earphones, I think e3s are good for you. Unlike the e2s, you won't hear the *thud* with the e3s as long as you use the foam plugs. This is because 1) the tube diameter is smaller than that of the e2 and 2) the foam is softer than that of the e2 foam plug. The combination of the softer foam and smaller size (= less density when compacted) leads to better absorption of impact.

If paying that much for gym phones is no problem for you, I say go for it!

Apr 25, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #34 of 49
I just find it funny that folks are recommending you a BMW or Porsche (ER4S?!) for a task that fits a Honda Civic. Sure, you could drive an M3 on a one hour commute everyday through some sketchy neighborhoods but a Civic will do the job just fine, especially if your stated intent is not to buy some $$$ fancy car. Then again, I drive one of those fancy cars to and from work everyday in horrible LA traffic so I guess I can relate.

A few final points in defense of the Sonys (which I agree, do suck in sound in comparison to the other options):

1) They are for all intents and purposes canalphones. They just don't get wedged in as far as the others.
2) If they were such universally uncomfortable phones, then why are some folks recommending the Sony sleeves as a Shure mod?

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #35 of 49
I own the Shure E3's and Sony 71's and agree with lifeinabox comments. The Sony's get a bad rap on this site but have a decent following at ipodlounge. Yes, the Shures sound better but not sure you'd appreciate them in a gym. I think the Sony's are so light and comfortable - easy to place in my ears. Unless using the foamies, I find the Shures problematic to keep in my ear if doing anything. The cable is heavier, wrapping around the ear can be a pain, etc. I know you are considering the E2's which are probably a great canalphone as well. For me, I find myself grabbing the Sony's if I have some work to do. I wouldn't trade my E3's for the Sony's but never regret purchasing them.

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #36 of 49
Do the Sony 71s have the nice behind the neck style cord, where the cord lenghts to the left and right earpieces are different lenghts? That's a very handy feature for me.

My current gym earbuds are $10 Sony earbuds, so i'm pretty sure the $40-$50 EX71s will sound better. So long as they're comfortable I might get some of these
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #37 of 49
Do the Sony 71s have the nice behind the neck style cord, where the cord lenghts to the left and right earpieces are different lenghts? That's a very handy feature for me.
=================

yes... I wish the Shures had the same style...

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #38 of 49
Yes they do. I purchased a pair of them, but I found them bright and edgy sounding. I have since returned them back to the store.

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey
Yes they do. I purchased a pair of them, but I found them bright and edgy sounding. I have since returned them back to the store.

My EX71's sounded better after a proper "Burn In."
smily_headphones1.gif

I have had my EX71's for over a year now, they are
solely my GYM phones now and I am statisfied with that.

They are also harder to drive on portable players IMO.
You have to turn up the volume a little bit more, But
solely for GYM usage they are fine.

I cannot understand using a ear-canal phones >$100 for the GYM.

If anything happens to my EX71's they are easily replaceable.
I don't want to have to worry about anything happening to my
Audiophile Earphones in the Gym (cause I am already worrying
about my portable audio player.)
smily_headphones1.gif

But if you are planning on using the Canal-Phones outside of the
Gym, save a little bit more and purchase the Etty's (or Shures.)
(But you might have to purchase a headphone AMP to get more
out of the Etty's and the Shures also.)

Good Luck.

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #40 of 49
With all the recommendations, I really don't know which one to buy, so here's a follow-on question: for the people that have owned more than one of these, which is more comfortable and practical for the gym? The sound quality is a distant second here, so long as it's not painfully bad - either way they'll probably be better than what I have now.

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #41 of 49
I have worn both (71's and E2's) for a number of 8 hour days now.

As I said previously, for absolute all around comfort,
the 71's rule. Lightweight cord, better behind the neck
design, lightweight, easy insertion.

But the lack of enough isolation just makes them
worthless. Have to crank the volume,
and I have enough hearing damage as is.

The E2's rule sonically. With the isolation and just cleaner
sound, they are just better. If you
really want some 71's, I'll sell you mine. I'll
not be using them again..

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #42 of 49
commando - listen up man....

honestly you sound confused.
biggrin.gif

you don't care too much about sound quality, don't wanna spend that much...just want something that's comfortable....

SONYS!!!!!!!!!!

that's what the sonys are for.

save your money. no more nitpicking over the two kings.

after having the e3's e5's and after my recent testing time (thanks to cmascatello) with the the etys, (did you read my review about the ety ergonomics!?...i tested the er-4's but the er-6's are not terribly different ergonomically from the er4's) i just can't see using any canalphone successfully at the gym, (especially the etys...ESPECIALLY THE ETYS.) Maybe the e5's. and those are clearly out of your buying desire at the moment.

about the e3's not having the "thud" sound when running...i'll just say that i found the e3's to very much have the "thud" sound when WALKING. the e5's are dead silent to "thudding" because of their harder wires, memory wire and more solid earphone casing, but they're ~ 400 dollars. and you'll sweat on them at the gym, drop weights on them, etc...

dude - you're gettin' some sony's. 'nuff said.

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #43 of 49
You make the decision so easy toaster22?
wink.gif
(sudden red dwarf flashback btw, talking to the toaster!)

The $40 Sonys in-ears will almost certianly be better audio quality than the $10-$15 Sony earbuds I have right now, and have MUCH more isolation. That and the unequal cord lengths would pretty much do it for me. People seem to think the the comfort is ok, so I think I might have made a decision... thanks everyone!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #44 of 49
easy as...toast?

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #45 of 49
I have now upgraded to the Etymotic ER-6's and I am also trying out the Ipod in-ear headphones, which I beleve are made by Sony for Apple. I have noticed that the ER-6's are now starting to develop some bass and midrange now after about 30 hrs of burn-in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back