Ety's - How far in to insert tips?
Apr 30, 2010 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

pearlgirl

New Head-Fier
So I received my hf2's. How far in are you supposed to insert the tips? I feel like to get a "good seal", you need to stick them in pretty far. And if that's the case, do people find them comfortable? It seems weird to me, and not very comfortable. I feel like I'm about to stab my brain when I put them in.

Apr 30, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 25
Ety's need to be inserted as close to brain implants as possible. Comfort is individual and depends a lot on the tips used

Apr 30, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 25
As far as they go.

They wont cause any damage, because the ear is hooked before the eardrum etc.

Furthermore, I believe the length of the tip is much shorter than the ear canal.

Apr 30, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 25
iphonegadgetsmimiswitch.jpg

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 25
i'm not sure about the sound because i'm in too much pain to focus on it. i did notice that you really have to insert them all the way to get any low end (no surprise there). i am afraid to put them back in. i hope i can get past the fear so i can hear how they sound.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 25
Have you tried some different tips?
If you're using the triple-flanges and feel it's too deep, cut off the last flange near the top of the second one and see if that helps. It helped for me in the past.

also, lol MrGreen

May 1, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 25
Aren't the Shure Olives supposed to work with these also? Or maybe you can try the regular foams? You need to find a balance of comfort and isolation, and it's possible your triple-flanges (I'm just assuming you're using the stock tips) just won't work for you...

FWIW, Shure Olives are supposed to be really comfortable. As far as feeling pain when you put in the IEM, that's definitely not supposed to happen, you are probably pushing them to far...the ear canal is about 25mm/1 inch long, and an IEM will never reach farther than 1/2" or so...you won't hit the eardrum

May 1, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel like I'm about to stab my brain when I put them in.

Stab is such an ugly word.
evil_smiley.gif

May 3, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 25
They don't hurt to the point where I can't take it, but they also weren't the most comfortable thing in the world.

When I am able to get the right fit/isolation, the sound is excellent. So clear. I was able to hear things I never heard before. And once I had the right fit, the bass was fine, very clear. I could hear the instruments, not just "sound". I think I get it now. I am using the triple flanges (smaller ones) that were included. I hope I will get used to how they feel, because the sound is really good.

I guess I should have realized I had them in too deep when blood started dripping out of my ears. Just kidding.

May 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 25
I would try getting some Shure olives - I found these to be the most comfortable tips I tried with the Etys. Their seal is most effective when reversed. Enjoy the headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back