etys foamies or silacon
Jul 16, 2002 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI: I was woundering how many ety users use the foamies or the silacon tips and why use one instead of the other?

Jul 16, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 20
I use the foamies because I find them more comfortable. But I'm sure it wil get expensive, because I need to change them every couple weeks. I'm looking for foam alternatives...(different brands, I'm sticking with foam)

Jul 16, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 20
Both! The foamies and the silicone have their uses (for me anyway).

Primary foamy use: when I know in advance that I'll need to take them out fairly frequenly during a listening session (e.g., whenever my wife or child are awake/around). taking out the foamies is much easier and less stressful on the ears than the silicone. Or, when I'm letting someone listen to them for the first time... the silicone tips are painful for some people and also take some getting used to to get a good seal. Much easier for the conversion to take place if the cans sound good and don't feel bad.
biggrin.gif

Primary silicone use: when I have the belief that I'll be relatively undisturbed for a while; and when flying! No better way to block out airplane noise and listen to your favorite tunes with excellent sonic fidelity.

Both the foamies and silicone come in two different size tips. Just to save a bit on shipping, makes sense to order a set of the smaller silicone tips and the larger foamie tips from Etymotic at the same time. Try them all and find out what works best for you.

One caveat about foamies: some people have no trouble getting a decent fit right away. I had trouble, but mostly because I wasn't thinking. Squish the foamies, and roll. Then rapidly insert. KEEP them in place until the foam has a chance to re-expand. Waiting ~10 seconds helps make sure you get a decent seal.

Good luck!
Bruce

Jul 16, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 20
I once tried the foamies, but I did not like them. Seal and sound were okay (did not do that much comparison) but I felt the plastic stem to be too hard on my earcanals. It scratched a bit.
I am just fine with the silicone tips, it is hard to imagine to hurt myself with them at my given earsize. I also need maximum isolation when commuting. Even the latest subway trains and busses in Hamburg are awfully loud...
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 20
I am going to try washing them soon, because what do I have to lose? Someone in another thread said to tie them in sock and throw them in the washer.

Quote:

Originally posted by dlow
I heard that the foamies can be washed. Anybody ever try that? Water? Soap + water? Alcohol?

Jul 16, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 20
HI ety folk: I have been switching back and forth from fommies to silacone tips and have found that the fommies are way more contible, seem to have a better sound stage and put no pressure in my earcannel. I would like to know if the er-4p needs a breakin like reg. cans do. I cant even inmangen what the drivers are like in them and they sound great right out of the box. Do you think that they really need a brakein or just use them and grove?

Jul 16, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
I am going to try washing them soon, because what do I have to lose? Someone in another thread said to tie them in sock and throw them in the washer.

When you do please report back how it works. The silicone ear pieces are easy to clean and sanitize.

Jul 16, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
... I would like to know if the er-4p needs a breakin like reg. cans do....

I feel that my ER4S's sounded worlds better broken in, especially on the mids and lows. They also became easier to drive. I had to floor the volume on my PCDP (unamped) to get a borderline washed out sound from them. Then one day, my Porta CORDA's battery died and suddenly I only had to set my PCDP at 75% volume to get comfortable sound.

Since the ER4P's use the same drivers but already has more bass and are easier to drive, you might notice less of a difference, or the emphasized bass might get more emphasis. YMMV.

Jul 17, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 20
I am going crazy with the foam and silacon tips. For hours I been useing the foam and I switched over to the silacon tips and ahhh I now hear with the silacon tips more clarity more upfront sound louder at same level just a lot more detail than with the foammy tips. It sounds like karen carpender is singing right next to me in my ears or better yet in my brain. Boy can she sing so beatifull. I get pressure but after a while it goes away with the silacon tips. Maby it is that they go in depper and get a better seal. This back and forth stuff is driving my nuts. I have decided for my sanity to just use the silacon tips and be happy. Tyle help. what is up with these two tips.

Jul 17, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #11 of 20
This is all very variable depending on the shape of your ear. I use the foamies because my ear canal makes a sharp turn after the opening. The silicones push up against this wall and get blocked.

Just gotta try them and find what's best for you.

Jul 17, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 20
I use the foamies because the silicon tips sound "thinner" to me. That and they create pressure in my ears on insertion. Hate that.

Jul 19, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #13 of 20
My first two attempts at cleaning the foamies have failed -- alcohol, and then I tried soaking in soap and water.

What about vinegar? I seem to recall it being used to treat waxy ears.

Jul 21, 2002 at 10:30 AM Post #14 of 20
The silicon tips provide clearly better isolation than the foamies, but the foamies provide much better sound to my ears. It is to say that I have shortened both the silicon and the foam tips so that the filter tip lies only 1-2 mm below the edge of the plug. And the best sound results from pierced yellow noise protection foam plugs in which the filter tip is even with the foam edge or protrudes by 1-2 mm (therefore it is protected by some nylon gauze).

The sound with the silicon plug is less accurate, a bit «glossy» and coolish – it doesn't emotionally involve me at all. Quite the opposite with the foamies: very accurate, warmer, emotionally touching, wider soundstage, better balance, more natural...

Besides, I hate the pressure after insertion of the silicon tips...

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back