Etys 4 /walking?
Jan 27, 2003 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mariowar

500+ Head-Fier
I know that these earphones are not recommended for sports due to the microphonics. Anyway I'd like to know your opinions to use them just for walking.....Does the shirt clip help?

Jan 27, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 21
I personally found that even after running the cables round the back of my ears the sound of footsteps was just too intrusive to the music. It is for this reason alone why I have decided to get a pair of Portapro's (to go with my KSC-35's and MX-500's) for portable listening rather than a pair of ER6's.

I absolutely adore the sound of the Ety 4P's but they are definitely not for walking around in my opinion. I hope this helps.

Jan 27, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 21
Although the occlusion effect is ever-present, I use my ER-4P's for walking, although it may not be the safest thing to do. I've suffered with the noise far too much with my 888's, MX400's, and the D22 Eggos, and won't go back......Actually, I use the Etys about 90% of the time for EVERYTHING.

However, for serious sports endeavours they would not be appropriate.

Jan 27, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by shaun3000
What do they do when you walk? I don't have a pair, nor have I ever tried one.

What happens when you walk with the ER-4's in your ear is this *THUD* *THUD* *THUD* sound every time your heel hits the ground. If you walk on the tips of your feet all the time, this shouldn't be a problem. Believe me.. I tested this by walking for a few feet on my toes.... not very comfortable, but the noise went away!

So in a nutshell, if you can live with loud *THUD* noises while you walk, these would work... but they might get annoying after a while.

Jan 27, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
What happens when you walk with the ER-4's in your ear is this *THUD* *THUD* *THUD* sound every time your heel hits the ground. If you walk on the tips of your feet all the time, this shouldn't be a problem. Believe me.. I tested this by walking for a few feet on my toes.... not very comfortable, but the noise went away!

So in a nutshell, if you can live with loud *THUD* noises while you walk, these would work... but they might get annoying after a while.

Alternatively, what you can try is to put a pair of earplugs in and walk around. It's a similar effect.

Jan 27, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 21
It is occlusion effect which is different from microphonics. Mostly unavoidable but varies with person (someone who is light on their feet as opposed to stomper). Also depends on shoes...they probably don't thud as much with etymotic approved bunny slippers.

Jan 27, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 21
Actually, with good walking shoes, the occlusion effect is not that noticeable - certainly the traffic noise is more of a nuisance without the Etys. Having hi-fidelity as you walk is quite pleasant......Having hi-fi as you surf the Web is celestial......

Jan 27, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 21
I don't have any problems walking with er-4p:s. I also love to have these phones when I drive a car or bicycle. You have to be very careful when driving a bicycle, because you won't hear anything.

Jan 27, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 21
What? Isn't that illegal? It would not be very wise to bike with the Etys.......Unless you live where there is no traffic!
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
What? Isn't that illegal? It would not be very wise to bike with the Etys.......Unless you live where there is no traffic!
biggrin.gif

I usually use bikeways. And of course I have got eyes too. How do you think deaf people can live their lives without dying?

Jan 28, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 21
I despise etys in any type of active situation. Their added fidelity is lost to heavy breathing, foot steps, etc. and they just are NOT comfortable after a while. Not to mention trying to manage the relatively stiff cord. MX500's are my reccomendation for walking.

Jan 28, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #14 of 21
Well, I'm sorry to say this, but I've found my MX500's unusable even for walking. You see, the place where I'm walking along is full of loud ambient noises to begin with - and that noise completely overpowers anything that comes out of those MX500's in such a condition. (Well, I need my music to be about 30 to 40 dB higher than the ambient noise just to even remotely enjoy the music - and the MX500's just can't muster enough volume from any of my portable gear.) The only way that I can even tolerate using open earbuds when walking is to go out walking in the dead of night (e.g. between 2am to 3am) - which I really hate doing. Second, I've found the MX500's to be horribly and painfully uncomfortable - so horrific that I couldn't bear to keep them on for even 30 seconds without wincing. Worst of all, the MX500's just don't fit my ears at all properly, even without foamies (and they don't fit my ears at all whatsoever with foamies on).

But none of the cheap plug-type 'phones (e.g. Koss The Plugh, Sony EX70) block anywhere near enough of that ambient noise to my liking.

Maybe that's what I've gotten for living in a suburban area full of steadily moving car and truck traffic!
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2003 at 7:24 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by helento1
I usually use bikeways. And of course I have got eyes too. How do you think deaf people can live their lives without dying?

I'm not sure where you live, but biking with headphones of any kind here in Washington state, and I'm sure most of the rest of the States, is illegal. This is with headphones in general, open or not... which would make it all the worse with Ety's in, since you can't hear jack.

It's the same with driving with headphones on... it's not legal. Why? You're a traffic safety hazard when you can't hear what's going on around you... which would be even more pertinent on a bicycle, bikeways or not. I do quite a bit of bike commuting, and I'd never think of wearing my Ety's while biking. The risk of getting hit by an invisible car that you'd otherwise hear without earphones is too great for me to consider it. The risk of not hearing someone behind you telling you s/he's going to pass and hitting them is also a consideration. I've almost hit enough cyclists as pedestrians that don't pay attention to what they're doing, when I'm yelling at them, that I'd probably be even more mad had they been wearing earphones when I hit them. Usually it's those pedestrians wearing headphones/earbuds that can't walk in a straight line that cause the most problems, but as a cyclist, if you can't hear what's going on around you, you're also a hazard.

So you can tell pretty clearly where I stand...
smily_headphones1.gif
Please, don't wear headphones/earphones while you're cycling. I'll have to hunt you down if you're in the Seattle area
wink.gif

Just my two cents, anyway..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back