Etymotics - OUCH! Painless alternatives?
Jun 18, 2009 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

willw

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to replace my old earbuds - Sony EX70 with the filters taken out - I bought the Etymotic HF5, after much research. But oh dear, they hurt! It's like having a stick stuck in each ear they have to go in so far! The foam alternative tips are just plain horrible, not an option here.
They sound fine, with the usual reservations about the bass easily overcome with a bit of adjustment (Cowon iAudio7). But honestly, for £80 they're not THAT much of an upgrade from these ancient Sonys (which lose all that muddiness when you take out the filters).
Is there anything out there which fits similarly to the sonys - that is, rubber tips which seal but which don't have to be shoved right into the ear canal? But with seriously good sound. I can spend around £80 (assuming Amazon will take the Etys back).
Having now compared them, I don't mind the sound of the (modded) EX70s, but a bit more detail always welcome. I listen to a lot of choral and classical, some acoustic, a lot of Dylan, bit of Springsteen, some jazz. FLAC only.
Arcam & Dynaudios at home. Clarity & spaciousness is the goal.
Advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 18
Did you get the small blue tri-flanges with your HF5's? I find these to be pretty damn comfortable with a good seal. I just tried the smaller of the two sizes of Comply tips that came with my UM3X's on ER4's -- not only more comfortable, but a more open presentation as well. Hope this helps.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 18
Yes I tried the small blue ones. They were much too loose - I had to shove the things even further in!! Perhaps I have shallow ear canals, but I find these VERY uncomfortable, as I said, like having sticks stuck in my ears. They're too long for my ears, and actually mildly painful to wear.

These Sennheiser IE6's sound interesting........

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 18
>> I'm hoping to get q-jays, pfe's or x10s and see how they feel <<

What are those? Are they alternative tips for the Etys? Readily available?

Edit: OK just googled, they're alternative earphones. DOH....! (can you tell I'm an old geezer?)

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by willw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I tried the small blue ones. They were much too loose - I had to shove the things even further in!! Perhaps I have shallow ear canals, but I find these VERY uncomfortable, as I said, like having sticks stuck in my ears. They're too long for my ears, and actually mildly painful to wear.

These Sennheiser IE6's sound interesting........

IMO HF5's really have to be fit deeply inside the canal for a proper seal -- more so than ER4's.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 18
Just read the review of the Sennheiser IE7s over at techpowerup.com. They do sound VERY tempting. Funny shape. It's a shame you can't try before you buy with this stuff.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 18
It's the tube inside the rubber flanges which is the problem I think.
I'm pretty much decided to send these back and find something more in the wearing style of the Sonys, which wedge just inside the ear. The Senn IE6/7s are looking most tempting so far.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 18
I found them painful at first... eventually I think I just got used to the added pressure in the ear canal. Now I can go hours without discomfort (I use the gliders or black foamies).

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 18
I'd go with the PFE. I just bought a pair for $139, directly from the Swiss manufacturer, and got free shipping (which arrived in two days). These are no match for the SE530 or the UM3X or the Triple Fi 10, but for $139, I can't think of a single IEM that sounds this good. Like the Ety's, they're a little light on the bass. But unlike the Ety's, that bass came out when I drove them through my M^3. I'm convinced that the bass issue really boils down to impedence. These guys need more current than you typically get off an unamped iPod. Amp 'em up and you've got quite a pair for $139. And even unamped, their clarity is surprising for that price point.

Best of all, they're small (single armature) and easy to plug in. They don't go deep at all. In fact, their little sound pipe is a tad shorter than other IEMs. If you can pop an eartip just far enough into your ear to make a seal, you're in like Flynn. These compete with my Westones for "true comfort." They live up to their moniker, "perfect fit everytime."

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 18
IF you don't have them, you should get the gliders (mushroom shaped) ear tips. Mine didn't come with the gliders and I contacted Etymotic and they sent me them! They are much more comfortable and I get a better seal then the tri-flanged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back