Etymotics: How often do you change ear tips?
Dec 25, 2006 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Poetic dreamer

New Head-Fier
This is my first time with canal earphones. I listen mainly to jazz and classical, and both are best enjoyed in long listening sessions...2 to 4 hours at a time.

I've already done a search. Most of the threads say you should change/clean them "regularly." Well, how often is "regularly" for

a) the flange tips and

b) the foam tips

do you count by days? or by number of listening sessions (e.g after every 7 sessions)?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the flanges (dont like foamies) I wash em with soap and then put them in alcohol about once a week depending on use.

Same here for the flanges.

The Comply tips I change at least once a week. I did wash them every couple of days, but I find they lose some of their flexibility when I do that, so I just don't bother anymore.

Number of days and listening sessions is kinda equal in my case. I use them every day.

Most of the time, I just see how they look and feel. If they're dirty or don't contract/expand like they used to, I clean them (flanges) or throw them away (foamies).

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most of the time, I just see how they look and feel. If they're dirty or don't contract/expand like they used to, I clean them (flanges) or throw them away (foamies).

Thanks for the reply. How do you keep dust/lint from getting on the flanges in between uses if you only wash them once a week?

My flanges always become sticky and attracts some dust and clothes lint. Even though I clean my ears, there is still enough wax to make the flanges sticky with each use. Or maybe it's not a big deal.

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetic dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. How do you keep dust/lint from getting on the flanges in between uses if you only wash them once a week?

When not in use, I keep them in the pouch that came with my ER-6i. But like I said, the "once a week" is an indication only. Let your eyes be the judge. If I see them get dirty I clean them and use another pair.

Dec 25, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 18
Custom foamies are the way to go for me. Since they don't cost $5 a set like the ety ones, I've been replacing them whenever they get dirty. Keeps my ears clean and infection-free

edit:when compressing foamies, I never use my dirty fingers - always a clean tissue, handkerchief or at worst my shirt

Dec 25, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 18
For me, i clean the flanges once every 2 weeks. But when i do use the foamies, i make sure to wash my hands with soap every single time before i compress the foams. I also try to clean my ears thoroughly everytime i shower to reduce the earwax accumalation.

Dec 25, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 18
Tri Flanges - Wipe with alcohol injection swab after each session. Don't risk an ear infection whatever you do !

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #9 of 18
My foamies maintenance starts with regular (daily in fact) cleaning of my ear canal passages with cotton earbuds. With careful swabbing I will always make sure my earcanals are free from earwax flakes
plainface.gif
blink.gif

With very clean ear passages, I never had problem with my etymotic black foamies getting dirty (and black foamies will reveal dirt more apparent than any other bright clolored foamies). What need to be done is to "rotate" the foamies regularly on the stems so that they will have equal pressure everytime used.

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 18
Assumming you keep your ears and hands clean when using, I'd say about every 25 hours for all of them. After 2 washings with the complys or foamies I usually replace them (before a third washing).

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My foamies maintenance starts with regular (daily in fact) cleaning of my ear canal passages with cotton earbuds. With careful swabbing I will always make sure my earcanals are free from earwax flakes
plainface.gif
blink.gif

With very clean ear passages, I never had problem with my etymotic black foamies getting dirty (and black foamies will reveal dirt more apparent than any other bright clolored foamies). What need to be done is to "rotate" the foamies regularly on the stems so that they will have equal pressure everytime used.

"Me too!" Although I use Shure grey softips on both my Etys and UM2s, the procedure is similar: for best results I carefully swab my ear canals clean, then use a soft rag & windex or some mild cleaner to clean the eartips to ensure good cantact/adherence and a good trouble-free seal for however long the session is. The softips can go a few times with a simple cleaning (for me, anyway) before I have to swap them out and actually immerse them in soapy water for a good wash. Part of their appeal for me is easy maintainence, and having a half dozen pair to rotate out is cheap enough. But basically what everyone says - when they're noticeably dirty and stop giving a proper seal -time to change 'em out and clean or discard, and that will vary with amount of use and how much/often debris build-up is a factor.

Dec 25, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 18
For flanges, I wash them in mild detergent and water every once in a while, whenever I see that they're dirty. About 3-4 times a month I'd say

Dec 25, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 18
Clean my ears twice a day...haven't really found the need to change the Ety foamies after a few months use
etysmile.gif
. I like how they become more compact and easier to insert once they start to accumulate more and more nastiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back