Etymotics deal on ER-6, I'm excited!
Dec 30, 2004 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DobsOnly

100+ Head-Fier
A little background as I am new to this group. My daughter received an IPOD for Christmas and I got a Palm T3. While ripping CD's for the IPOD I loaded some MP3's on the T3 and grabbed the Sony earbuds I've had for several years. While lacking in many areas this took me back to a time when I used to set in the house and enjoy the music produced by my Linn LP12 turntable and Rogers LS3/5A's with LB1 Sub. There is a certain amount of imaging, clarity and separation that takes place in a headset that can only be produced IMHO in very nice speakers, with very nice equipment driving them. This drove me to begin searching out information on portable headphones and that lead me to this forum and a few others.

After researching for several days I was thinking I would try a set of Shure E2C's. The only reason was Price. While the Reviews/Comments of the Etymotics seemed to be much more in tune with my listening preferences I could not justify the cost.

Then I found what I think is a great deal and wanted to share with others that might be in the same boat when it comes to spending $100-$200 for a set of Earphones, not knowing if they might get left laying and rarely or never used. I was at The PalmOne Web site and they happened to have the Etymotics ER-6, ER-6i and ER-4 listed at the bottom of the Special offers page. After processing the prices are as follows:

ER-6 - $49.00
ER-6i - $119.00
ER-4 - $239.00 doesn't say if this is 4p or 4s

These final prices are displayed after adding to Cart.

I Ordered the ER-6 based on all of the comments I have seen and I am very excited about getting a chance to audition these earphones with the IPOD and the T3. I hope by posting this other people might take advantage of this offer which ends when stock runs out or December 31st.

Here's the Link Palm special offers

etysmile.gif

Thanks
DobsOnly

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 15
$49.99 for Etymotic ER-6?

Dec 30, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
What is the difference between ER-6 and ER-6i?

I'd also like to know this.

Dec 30, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 15
Main difference from what I have read is that er6i is easier to drive due to less impedance I believe. If you have a strong source or an amp the er6 are great, but on a weaker source (i.e. iPod is one that has issues sometimes from my readings) the er6 might sound lacking namely in the bass department which is where the er6/i is typically lacking. I have never used them, but I was deciding between e3c and er6/i and that was the conclussion came to in that thread. For that price though you can't go wrong. Had I seen that I might have went for the er6 cause my karma can drive them from what I've been told. Worst case is they don't sound right and you return them or you find an amp on this site and your problems will be solved aside from slightly lower portability, but some amps I hear fit into altoids cases!

Dec 30, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 15
I cant find it on Palm Store site?

Dec 30, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 15
What I am worried about is that resellersrating.com rating they have, all five reviews are negative!

Dec 30, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #13 of 15
IPodSF, you need help?

Dec 30, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 15
ER6's need an amp. Still a great price though.

Dec 30, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 15
Would a PX100 user such as myself be horribly let down by the er6? If they sound similar, or even if the er6 sound relatively better, please say so, because I will definately buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back