Etymotics and again Etymotics..!ER4P or still ER4S????
Sep 28, 2003 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Guest5

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
In a short while, maby tomorrow I will buy the Etymotics for my portable.... don't get confused about that, I don't have any other audio systems beside my old pana and the new pana, They Suck in comparison with SONY, the music is living in my head when out of my d-e905, The HP out on my pseaker system really failes to deliver the same amount of detail and clarity, though it's louder.
I will not listen on/in the go, I will listen maby in library, or when I have some free time, I don't stay at home too much but I will not plug them in my ears listening on the streets. And I do not want to bring with me the Meta 42 amp, just the player and headphones, the smaler amps like Airhead can spoil my d-e905 quality(I ve read about that on audioreview.com) since the d-e905's line out is not as detailed to me through my reciever but it's more Loud, with Etys I need quality not Volume(it's not that d-e905 is not loud, just that it's not that loud).

The thing is I don't really know which ones will it be, I will not listen on the go... just that I have only my d-e905 and no Headphone amp, I will not use my reciever for amplification, don't want to spoil the headphones. In terms of quality not volume my d-e905's hp out is Great. Many said that it's still better ER4S than P, what means the sound is a bit thin when at the same time he sais it's more dynamical than the P version? (dgs said that)

and ofcourse I remember about the conversion cable but it costs not $20 but $60 here, so can you answer my question directly? I guess the er4s will be better than the er4p in terms of quality.... though it may be a bit thin...

If the er4p is good for 5x5 Mw MDs then why the er4s with its 100Ohm can't be driven good out of a double more powered source? D-e905 drives good the porta pros, I listen at no more than 5 of 10 volume, with some recordings on 4 is too loud(it depends on the recording).

Who here experimented/listened the er4s and er4p out of a 10x10 Mw CD player... which one delivered more Hi-Fi sound quality??? It's really important....

a head-fier guy called Dgs, tried this and he said the er4s is superior... to er4p, anyone else thinks the same way too?

Sep 28, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 5
Get the ER4P and the cable that allows you to turn the 4P into the 4S. Then you can decide for yourself which works better.

Check out www.toddthevinyljunkie.com for a great deal on both the 4P and the cable ($275 for both!).
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=45868

Sep 28, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Yeah, get the ER-4P. So you have all options left. Some prefer the P, some the S. The only difference lies in the sonic balance: the P sounds fuller, the S sounds clearer. You can buy a P-to-S conversion adapter or build one yourself... something like this:

attachment.php

You aren't bound to the standard resistor values, you may choose something in between (which is what I prefer and called X) -- which also may suit your portable source best.

peacesign.gif

Sep 29, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 5
yes, get the 4P now, and use it for where and when you do most your listening...you can't go wrong with the 4P because it can perform so well without an amp. then later on down the road, when you have a little more $ to spend, go and buy yourself the 4P>4S conversion cable. that way, you can have two headphones in one!!! that to me, to have two headphones in one, is reason enough to go for the conversion cable now. on the other side of the story, if you were to get the 4S, it just might sound kind of wierd on a portable setup, which then only leaves you with one option instead of two...to only use your portable at home with an amp when listeing to the 4S. in my experience with the 4S, i tried it with my portable setup on BART one day, and it simply sounded wrong, you just have to have an amp driving it that can handle 100ohms! so get the 4P for now, and when your comfortable with your finantial situation, go for the conversion cable. simple as that
etysmile.gif

good luck to you and happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back