Etymotic & Westone - Discussion & Impressions (index in 1st post)
Mar 16, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #16 of 408
For DAC amp combo, I recommend Cayin N3 Pro as it offers Triode Tube options alongside dual DAC performance of AK4493EQ in balanced mode which I highly recommend - they synergize darned well with ER4SR...
+1 on the Cayin N3 Pro. Will post my impressions tomorrow, and can say the N3Pro is great source, providing 3 sound signatures: Solid State, Triode Tube, and Ultra Linear Tube. Love it :L3000:

Never had any source or amp. I listen from my macbook, and android phone. Not been to this rabbit hole for long! 😅😅 It would be good if I can get some entry level suggestion, wouldn't want to spend too much. Around $50 would be the sweet spot, can stretch to $100.
That is like driving a sporty car with the cheapest tires made for a Chevy Neon... You are just missing out!

PS: If you haven't done so, listen to Etys in full balanced mode. I refuse to listen in single ended mode anymore unless forced to....haha
Getting a balanced cable is on my todo list... Will not be part of my impressions, but will update in the future when I do get one!
BTW, balanced means no tubes on the N3Pro. That's unfortunate - I think Triode Tube mode is the best for the SR3SE.

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #17 of 408
Getting a balanced cable is on my todo list... Will not be part of my impressions, but will update in the future when I do get one!
BTW, balanced means no tubes on the N3Pro. That's unfortunate - I think Triode Tube mode is the best for the SR3SE.

Use it as how you enjoy it best, I am saying that for myself I will not likely switch to single ended after getting wholesome sound indulgence from Cayin's implementation of Balanced output. Not even for the lush tube sound. In balanced mode the first thing that my ER4SR picked up was the expanded space of what little the soundstage there is commonly found in single BAs, and also the better nuanced separation of layers. Balanced also means you running on much higher power output of which makes my ER4SR sound equal to what I get from full fledged desktop rig, I totally love it

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 408
Etymotic ER3SE & ER3XR - impressions and comparison:

I've spent several days listening to both, and switching between the ER3SE and ER3XR. I feel that I am now ready to share my thoughts...

1615934916138.png

Sources used:
  • Samsung S10e phone running UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) and Tidal (Hi-Fi plan for lossless streaming)
  • Cayin N3Pro DAP playing local music (90% CD quality 44.1/16 FLACs, the rest: 24-bit and/or higher sampling rate)
I used various tracks by the following artists: (listed alphabetically):
  • Adele
  • Coldplay
  • Dire Straits
  • Foo Fighters
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Lorde
  • Metallica
  • Muse
  • Nightwish
  • Norah Jones
  • Yosi Horikawa

Both ER3SE and ER3XR were super easy to drive! My phone had more than enough power, and I cannot imagine a single source that would not. Not requiring a headphone amplifier makes the ER3 IEMs ideal companions for simple and compact on-the-go setups. In fact, I walked down the street with the ER3XR in my ears, plugged to my phone (in my pants pocket).

The ER3SE sounds very clear and airy, with excellent instrument separation. Switching to the ER3SE from the ER3XR immediately emphasizes the lighter bass. The difference (2db in mid-bass to 4dB in sub-bass) is not huge but I could very easily tell them apart in blind test. Going from the ER3XR to the ER3SE made the music sound less congested with better separation and clarity.

The ER3XR sounds a little thicker. The added bass fills some of the air between instruments, and thus gives the impression of less space between instruments. The bass also changes the sound signature to be a little smoother and warmer. This creates the perception of being less detailed. The details are definitely there, but the underlining bass smooths them a little bit. Mind you, the ER3XR is still not bass heavy. Bassheads would still want more!

"So, which ER3 should I choose?" The answer is subjective, but here are some tips and guidelines:
  • If you prefer vocals over everything else - get the ER3SE.
  • For classical music - get the ER3SE for its better clarity and instrument separation.
  • If you listen mostly to Pop, Rock and/or EDM - get the ER3XR. The added bass would make your music more "fun" and exciting to listen to.
  • For acoustic and instrumental music - if you prefer thicker sound, get the ER3XR. But, if you prefer airy presentation with better instrument separation - get the ER3SE.
  • Metal heads - this one is tricky! On one hand, I liked the clarity and congestion-free presentation of the ER3SE (especially with some Nightwish tracks). On the other hand, I loved the way drums sounded on the ER3XR. They seemed too anemic to my taste out of the ER3SE.
Important note: I am not saying the ER3XR sound is congested. That is not the case! But, compared to the ER3SE - it sounds more congested relatively to the more open sound and better separation of the ER3SE.

Foam tips vs. triple flange tips:

Isolation: Foam tips offer much better isolation. Both have far better isolation than most IEMs that I have ever auditioned, but the foam tips definitely take it to a whole new level.
Important side note: I do not recommend using the foam tips when some level of your surroundings' awareness is required (walking down the street, for example). You should be aware if you're chased by a huge dog or going to get run over by a bus... :wink: Foam tips are ideal, though, for use at home when the kids are running around and screaming, and on flights (remember those?).
Comfort: Insertion is easier (at least for me) with the triple flange tips. No need to fiddle with and squeeze them, quickly inserting them before they expand. I am sure that with more practice - inserting the foam tips will be faster and easier, but with little to no practice - the triple flange is definitely easier! Once in your ear - they DO feel different. That part will be very subjective but for me - I like the feel of the silicone triple flange better. The foam requires getting used to (again, at least to me). People that use and love Comply foam tips might have the opposite opinion about this one.
Sound: switching from silicone triple flange to foam tips, the treble becomes a little attenuated and less airy. Also, the bass feels like it is slightly boosted and boomier. Those changes are small but noticeable.

Tip rolling summary: my personal suggestion is to choose the tip based on your comfort and desired isolation. Only if both tips feel equally comfortable - then choose by the small sound signature differences.

Source and synergy comparisons:

The N3Pro has 3 amplification circuits:
Solid State, Tube Triode, and Tube UltraLinear. The Solid State amp can be used with 3.5mm single-ended (unbalanced) or 4.4mm balanced connections, while both Tube amp options only support the 3.5mm single-ended connection. I have not tested the balanced connection (I do not have 4.4mm cable). I will update my impressions if/when I test the 4.4mm balanced option.

Samsung S10e phone: This one is a good example of what should be expected from a non-audiophile source. The S10e can easily drive the ER3SE and ER3XR to very high volume levels. Sound quality is just fine for watching YouTube videos, and even for music on-the-go when quality is not the top priority but rather convenience of “traveling light” with just the phone and the Etymotic IEMs.

N3Pro Solid State: Switching from the Samsung S10e to the N3Pro DAP makes it immediately clear why people buy dedicated devices despite being able to "just use their phone" for playing music… The sound is smooth and energetic, with added micro details and a much better dynamic range. A good analogy would be listening to a song from FM radio, and then switching to the same song played from a CD player. Solid State mode is a good fit for both SR3SE and SR3XR.

Tube Triode: Compared to the Solid State mode, Tube Triode is warmer and smoother with a more relaxed sound. The warmer sound signature of Tube Triode fits the very neutral ER3SE better than the slightly warmer ER3XR. Having said that, I found the ER3XR & Tube Triode combination very enjoyable with some tracks (e.g. Norah Jones), but not an ideal match for others (e.g. Lorde).

Tube UltraLinear: This is the goldilocks mode… Sitting in between the Solid State and Tube Triode modes. Smoother and warmer than Solid State, but not as warm or laid back as the Tube Triode. This mode worked very well for both ER3SE and ER3XR, very much like the Solid State mode.

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #19 of 408
Great review!.

It's worthwhile to keep in mind that Etys are typically very source dependent (ie. transparent). The reasons that you getting blissful listening experience is apparent when switching to Cayin N3 Pro, of which are running high spec AK4493EQ DAC and operates at around 450mW of output for 22 Ohm, and AKM DACs as I discovered synergize well with Ety signature

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #20 of 408
Etymotic ER3SE & ER4SR - impressions and comparison:

After I was done with my ER3SE vs. ER3XR impressions - I moved on to compare the ER3 vs. ER4 IEMs. Since I only got the ER4SR from the ER4 brethren – that have set it to be an ER3SE vs. ER4SR comparison! So, what does spending the extra money for the ER4 get you? Let’s find out…

Sources used:
  • Samsung S10e phone running UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) and Tidal (Hi-Fi plan for lossless streaming)
  • Cayin N3Pro DAP with local music (90% CD quality 44.1/16 FLACs, the rest: 24-bit and/or higher sampling rate)

For test and comparison, I used various tracks by the following artists: (listed alphabetically)
  • Adele
  • Coldplay
  • Dire Straits
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Lorde
  • Metallica
  • Nightwish
  • Norah Jones
  • Yosi Horikawa
Same sources and test tracks that were used for the ER3SE vs. ER3XR impressions that I posted a few days ago (post #18 in this thread).

1616890392271.png

Package and accessories:

The ER4 box is almost twice as big, and includes several extras compared to the ER3 model:
  • Ear tips: ER3 includes 3 pairs (2 x triple-flange silicone + 1 x foam) while ER4 includes 10 pairs (4 x triple-flange silicone + 2 x foam + 4 x double-flange silicone)
  • ¼” adapter: only included with the ER4
  • Cable: the cable that comes with the ER4 is longer (5ft vs. 4ft), twisted wires construction from the splitter to the MMCX connectors, and is more tangle resistant compared to the ER3 shorter cable.
  • Deluxe zippered pouch: included with the ER4 only (in addition to the standard zippered pouch). ER3 comes only with the standard zippered pouch.
  • Performance certificate: included only with ER4 IEMs, providing the test measurements for the actual BA drivers that are in your specific IEMs.

Build Quality, Fit and Comfort:

From what I can tell – the ER3 and ER4 share the same high build quality. There are very small differences (for example the splitter in the cable and the twisted wire pair from the splitter to the MMCX connectors), but none of the minor differences affect the fit or comfort.

Important comments on the cables:
  • Neither cable is bad nor awesome IMHO, but the ER4SR cable is a step up in its look and feel.
  • I do not believe the ER4SR cable sounds better – it just looks and feels better. It is also less prone to getting tangled.
  • Most after-market 3rd party IEM cables are designed for IEMs that have the MMCX connectors on the side, and meant to loop around the ears. That poses somewhat of a challenge for the Etymotic ER3 and ER4 series IEMs that are meant to wear with the cable going straight down, from the back of the IEMs. I have not tested any 3rd party cable yet, and will update my impressions if / when I do so.

Sound comparison:

The first thing you will notice, switching from the ER3 to the ER4 – more power is required to drive the less sensitive (higher impedance) ER4. On my N3Pro DAP for example – I had to increase the volume by 6 or 7 “clicks” to achieve the same output sound levels. My Samsung phone and N3Pro DAP could still drive the ER4 properly, but I imagine that some low-power sources (such as some smartphones) might be better suited for use with the easier-to-drive ER3.

When the volume level is matched – the ER3SE has a very similar performance to the ER4SR. During my comparison, I have switched back and forth multiple times. Sometimes after several songs, and sometimes after listening to a specific song and wanting to replay the same song with the other IEM… Truth to be told, more than once (after losing track of which IEM is plugged in) – I could not correctly “guess” which IEM is in my ears. I do not have golden ears, and some people might do a better job than I did, but the moral of the story is the ER3SE and ER4SR are very close in term of their sound clarity, detail and tonality!

Conclusion:

The ER4SR is a great comfortable-for-hours reference sound IEM. The included cable is good (but not great), and the included assortment of ear tips is great.

So… ER3SE or ER4SR?

Etymotic’s own ER3SE is an awesome budget alternative – very similar reference sound with great comfort, even for people like me that can never get a good fit from universal IEMs. You will be “sacrificing” a good cable for an OK cable, IMHO, and some ear tips selection, but save some money in the process!

Here is my personal take on the ER3SE vs. ER4SR question:
  • If you have golden ears, and can discern the smallest differences – go for the ER4SR.
  • If you’re a sound engineer (or professional musician) - you could benefit from the more accurate channel matching of the ER4SR.
  • Would your day get ruined by IEM cable getting all tangled, and you do not want to look for good after-market cable? Get the ER4SR!
  • Are you an audiophile that would want a great sound, and always buy after-market cables and/or tips? Get the ER3SE.
  • Are you on a budget? Buy the ER3SE.

Apr 16, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #21 of 408
Added "Deals & Promotions" section to the 1st post.
Currently, ER2SE for $49. Killer price!!
I will add more as I discover or hear of more...

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #22 of 408
Great deals on Adorama for ER3SE and ER3XR as well... added to my 1st post, too :)

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #23 of 408
Apr 17, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #25 of 408
On the left is a brand new ER2SE and on the right the ER2XR, my daily driver for almost 1.5 yrs. You can see how much the paint has worn off on the ER2XR 😅.
20210417_165714.jpg

I'd be interested in seeing emerald green metallic painted Etymotic IEMs. Otherwise I have to admit that the dark blue metallic colour with white text on their ER2 series IEMs is by far my favourite Etymotic design.

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #26 of 408
On the left is a brand new ER2SE and on the right the ER2XR, my daily driver for almost 1.5 yrs. You can see how much the paint has worn off on the ER2XR 😅.
20210417_165714.jpg
I am curious: did you buy the ER2SE to replace the aging ER2XR? or did you decide (after 1.5 years) that the ER2XR has too much bass for your taste? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I am busy with the MK5 right now. Hope to organize my notes and post impressions here in the next couple days.

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #27 of 408
Adorama has deals on the whole ER series. ER4 is $129 there now (with the special link). Here is the ER4SR link:

https://www.adorama.com/etyer4sr.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pricedrop&emailprice=t

Just replace the "4sr" in the link to the relevant product to check prices for the rest.

Here is the ER4XR link with the "4sr" in the link replaced with "4xr":

https://www.adorama.com/etyer4xr.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pricedrop&emailprice=t
Thanks - added those too :)

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #29 of 408
I've had the ER4XR for a little over a week now. My plan was to try them for awhile (use case: strictly laptop Youtube & tv shows consumption) then move them on either to a friend or Classifieds. However......man, I really like these. I've never been able to stand Ety ear tips, and I despise foams with a passion (except for a recent trial of Tennmaks), but Final Audio type E's (using their included nozzle adapters) are working great. I have zero interest in parting with these now.

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #30 of 408
I've had the ER4XR for a little over a week now. My plan was to try them for awhile (use case: strictly laptop Youtube & tv shows consumption) then move them on either to a friend or Classifieds. However......man, I really like these. I've never been able to stand Ety ear tips, and I despise foams with a passion (except for a recent trial of Tennmaks), but Final Audio type E's (using their included nozzle adapters) are working great. I have zero interest in parting with these now.
And also you may find SpinFit CP800 (sized S) to your liking as well. My ear canals are so OCD with what tips I use and the SpinFit was very forgiving and easy to use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back