Etymotic vs RE0?
May 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

bba1973

500+ Head-Fier
Since September, I've been using RE0s. Recently, I got a mini3, and although I really like my setup, I'd like some IEMs with more speed for heavy metal. I really don't need an upgrade, but more speed would be nice, and I've been scared since my RE0s broke 6 months after buying them (right side driver went out; I didn't abuse them, but I used them alot).

I'm really tempted to get the ER4S or ER4P, but I remembered the HF5 is out too. I haven't seen as many reviews for the HF5, but I read somewhere they have the same drivers as the ER4S/P (but not hand-selected). So far, I haven't been able to find out much about their SQ besides slightly less treble and slightly more bass than the ER4P. Can anyone tell me how fast the HF5s are compared to the RE0s and ER4P/S? Also, the HF5s are 16 ohms. Would an 82 ohm impedance adapter put them close to the ER4S performance-wise? Also, are the microphonics bad on the HF5?

I would just buy the ER4S, but I'm poor white trash and can save money by buying the HF5.

Thanks for reading.

May 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 26
Here's my story, I owned the ER-4P (with the P/S cable), but I still own my RE0s
wink_face.gif
. I preferred the RE0s.

May 19, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 26

Quote:
Here's my story, I owned the ER-4P (with the P/S cable), but I still own my RE0s
wink_face.gif
. I preferred the RE0s.

I really like mine too, but my first pair only lasted 6 months. Hopefully my replacement pair will last longer. Their customer service was great, but if they break again, I'll just have to buy something else.

Would you mind sharing what you liked better about the RE0s compared to the ER4? Did you use them with an amp?

May 19, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 26
Pretty much everything. They are both "mid to treble" centric IEMs, but the RE0s still have slightly more bass impact (which I prefer). The mids are also slightly more forward and warmer than the ER-4P/S. I found the latter too bright and treble focused and ultimately that's why I sold them.

I've had my RE0s since December. I listen to them exclusively at my desk at work (pretty much every day) and I've had zero quality issues.

A very similar IEM to the RE0 is the Nuforce NE-8 and I do prefer the Nuforce as it has even more bass impact and is slightly warmer than the RE0s (and all for $70 new)!

May 19, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 26
Thanks for the explanation. The Etys still sound appealing to me though, that is, aside from the possible excessive brightness. Maybe I'm just a cold person.

Oh yeah, you're the guy that loves the NE-8s. How's their speed?

May 19, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 26

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. The Etys still sound appealing to me though, that is, aside from the possible excessive brightness. Maybe I'm just a cold person.

Oh yeah, you're the guy that loves the NE-8s. How's their speed?

I think if you liked RE0 and want more bass speed then CK10, PFE112 willbe better IEMs. 

May 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 26
i have RE0 and HF5.  I have been using RE0 since I got them in december and haven't been using the etys much until this week. I like the highs on the RE0 more: they extend higher and sparkle more.  While the RE0s have decent bass impact, they lack bass detail and texture.  This improves using an amp, even with my inexpensive cmoyBB.  I always preferred the bass on HF5, but given the choice, I usually pick treble.

This past weekend I was listening to some guitar-centric classic rock (Rush, for example) on the RE0 and just didn't like the guitar. I kept clicking through different tracks and just wasn't satisfied. So I pulled out the etys and voila!  Just what I was missing.  IMO think what makes the HF5 tick is that a lot of its vaunted detail comes in the low treble, which is part of what make the guitars sound good. (Grado lovers will know what I mean).  Don't get me wrong, the etys are still weak on guitar growl, but I definitely discovered a reason to keep using my HF5.  I also prefer the bass on the HF5.  Quantity is definitely low, but I prefer the bass detail/texture/extension on the HF5 over the the RE0.

One user's opinion...hope it helps.

May 19, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 26
Thanks for your input. I listen to Rush, so that is helpful.

So the bass detail extends more with the HF5s? Lower quantity but better quality, right?

Has anyone tried the HF5s with a mini3?

EDIT: How bad are the HF5's microphonics?

May 19, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 26
What's your source jaw2ek?, what makes the HF5s more tempting is that they're easier to drive (16 ohms) making them ideal for a sansa fuze or clip(+) (which also seem to do better on BAs). While on the other hand the re0s would be more suitable for something like the sflo2.

May 20, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #14 of 26
A friend of mine bought some re0's a few weeks ago and i was impressed when I compared them to my hf5.
Quote:
I like the highs on the RE0 more: they extend higher and sparkle more.  While the RE0s have decent bass impact, they lack bass detail and texture. I always preferred the bass on HF5, 

IMO think what makes the HF5 tick is that a lot of its vaunted detail comes in the low treble. I also prefer the bass on the HF5.  Quantity is definitely low, but I prefer the bass on the HF5 over the the RE0.

I agree with most of this, micro-phonics aren't bad either. I've not listened to the hf5 or re0 with any amp so can't help on that front. I expect the re0 would benefit more.

May 20, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
search first, create unnecessary thread later

if you want more speed, you won't find it in a dynamic driver, BA is the way to go. But I listen to metal too and have no problem with the speed of the RE0. So I can't really say I understand you. Could you elaborate?

This thread isn't unnecessary. The thread you linked, which I've read over several times, doesn't mention the HF5 in its reviews. The HF5 and ER4P/S are different IEMs, and I hadn't seen much information on the HF5, so I made this thread.

When I say I want more speed, I want heavy metal (like Megadeth) to sound more "effortless." Most of my heavy metal sounds good with my current setup (Clip+ w/Rockbox; OGG q-0.8 vbr files; mini3 HP edition, RE0s), but faster guitar would be better.

Maybe I should just go ahead and get the HF5 and an impedance adapter. Seems like no one else has tried it, so I might as well be first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back