Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones: $50 off
Mar 31, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #46 of 58
Over the ears works out a lot better than the er4. The cables wont be Flush against your ears but they don't have those large loops that the er4's cables create when wearing them that way. HF5s go deeper in my ear as well.

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordBread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for what you want. I wanted to try something different and went with the blue. Compared to my er4ps:

(Bright Pics)

Thanks for the pics! Those do look pretty sharp. Are you happy with that choice? You don't feel like they stand out too much when you're wearing them?

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by bkrodgers
Thanks for the pics! Those do look pretty sharp. Are you happy with that choice? You don't feel like they stand out too much when you're wearing them?

Well, when I wear them over the ears they basically cant be seen, so no they don't stand out(hide better than er4). And yeah, I do like the blue(cobalt).

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #51 of 58
I can get a better-deeper seal with them over the ears. My left ear canal doesn't like it as deep as the right. Microphonics aren't as bad as er4s worn regularly and do improve when over the ears.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

I can get a better-deeper seal with them over the ears. My left ear canal doesn't like it as deep as the right. Microphonics aren't as bad as er4s worn regularly and do improve when over the ears.

Heya... interested in your impressions of SQ vs ER4. So far I love the HF5s but I'm semi 2nd guessing whether or not I should have spent the extra 76.00 for ER4 although the 5' cord would be a bit much for me......

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #53 of 58
Since I've had them for only a little while I really can't give any true review on them, but these things are pretty much the same as the er4p.

I doubt you'll miss the little boost in SQ for $76 more. Then again I do prefer the SQ of the er4p to the HF5, but mainly cause I like their tremble and overall sound better.

For $100
HF5 gives you
better cable
baby blue tips
Near Er4p performance

If you've never heard an er4, HF5 will be fine. IMO, the $76 price difference isn't worth it. However, when/if the price goes back up the er4p would probably be the best bet.
For more info, this thread has some good hf5 impressions.

Mar 31, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Since I've had them for only a little while I really can't give any true review on them, but these things are pretty much the same as the er4p.

I doubt you'll miss the little boost in SQ for $76 more. Then again I do prefer the SQ of the er4p to the HF5, but mainly cause I like their tremble and overall sound better.

For $100
HF5 gives you
better cable
baby blue tips
Near Er4p performance

If you've never heard an er4, HF5 will be fine. IMO, the $76 price difference isn't worth it. However, when/if the price goes back up the er4p would probably be the best bet.

Baby blue tips!

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

For $100
HF5 gives you
better cable
baby blue tips
Near Er4p performance

Thanks, makes me feel better about choosing HF5 over er4. I haven't heard ER4 so I guess I don't know what I'm missing
smily_headphones1.gif
I've read the other related threads also. I'd go with the ER4 in a heartbeat IF it had a shorter cable. 5' is just too long for my purposes so it would have to sound REALLY good to be worth it...

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #56 of 58
Hello,
On monday I get my HF5 IEM's, and looking at pictures, I didn't know they could be worn over the ear. Do you insert them upside down i guess to get the cable to wrap around the ear? Doesn't that affect the fit or something?

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #57 of 58
Yeah upside down so the cable exit is up and slightly angled forward and then run the cable over the top of the ear and then back and down behind the ear. This can't be done with the HF2 due to the mic but also is not nearly as necessasary as with the ER4 due to the much better and less microphonic cable.

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah upside down so the cable exit is up and slightly angled forward and then run the cable over the top of the ear and then back and down behind the ear. This can't be done with the HF2 due to the mic but also is not nearly as necessasary as with the ER4 due to the much better and less microphonic cable.

Cool thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back