Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Aug 8, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #931 of 1,201
Aren't these products developed by someone who were involved in development of planar-magnetic headphones with Kennerton? If yes, I'm not missing anything at all =)
No link to Kennerton to my knowledge. Kennerton is coming with their own planar IEM to the market.
Nevertheless, today I would prefer Evo to any of the above mentioned IEM but I stay with ER3SE in the end since this is sufficient for on the go and it does a good job for noise isolation on the street and in metro. I use full sized planars in the office and at home.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #933 of 1,201
Dave, what do you mean by "corner frequency is lowered"? Can you provide a sketch / hand-drawn FR graph to explain that?
Does not have to be accurate, but rather just explain the idea...

It means that the frequency where the bass elevation starts to climb is set even lower.

To make it clearer, here's an example: Let's say we have two pairs of multi-driver IEMs that are similar in everything (same drivers, tubing, acoustic filtering etc.) and have got the same mid- and high frequency response and same sub-bass quantity (let's say both are boosted by 7 dB in the area between 20 Hz and 40 Hz); the only area that they differ in is the crossover network for the lows. IEM As' bass boost starts to climb at 700 Hz, whereas IEM Bs' bass boost starts to climb at 250 Hz. Therefore A will sound warmer and radiate more into the fundamental range whereas B have a boost that focuses more on the "true" bass.

Or to give a visual example: Campfire Audio Andromeda (pink line) vs Earsonics ES3 (green line) (both compensated with my ER-4S' frequency response in case anyone's wondering; aligned at 1 kHz):

ES3 (green) vs Andromeda (pink).jpg

It's obvious that both have got a roughly comparable boost in the lows below 60 Hz but while the ES3 are basically flat at frequencies from 200 Hz to 1 kHz, the Andromeda are still prominently boosted in this area wherefore their lower mids and fundamental range sounds very warm and thick whereas the ES3 only place the boost in the area of the sub-bass to upper bass.

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #934 of 1,201
ES3 as well as ES5 produce sub-bass all the time. It does not matter what type of music or genre you listen to, this is "Earsonics House Sound".
The only exception was their neutral-reference S-EM6 v2 which is discontinued now..

Aug 8, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #935 of 1,201
A price defines literally NOTHING in terms of sound quality. Appreciate the input but one sentence statement " I like X iem" doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.
From A technical standpoint the Audeze is better than the EVO. From a tonal standpoint I prefer the EVO with the exception of the treble. Though a more thorough explanation of the Euclid can be seen in that specific thread.

Aug 8, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #936 of 1,201
I had some time to write up some comparisons between the EVO and Euclid. Both are fairly new IEMs so not much is said about either. To be frank, more has been said about the EVO due to the tour than has been said about the Euclid which has seen a somewhat slow launch.

Etymotic EVO vs Audeze Euclid

Sound

So when I first heard the EVO, I felt that the Audeze Euclid was more in line with how I felt a bass-boosted ER4SR would sound compared to what the EVO offered. Honestly though, I still feel this way. Overall, the EVO reminded me of a very smoothed out ER4SR which has many plus sides, but lost much of it's analytical side that I've grown to love from Etymotic. The Euclid to my ears offers that analytical edge that Etymotic is known for, bit a modest bass boost but lacks warmth.

Overall, the EVO provides more bass presence as a whole. The bass holds a thicker sound overall with a larger body making them a bit more thumpy and impactful as a whole. However, the Euclid do beat them out when it comes to bass texturing as they can portray subtle bass details better, but only slightly so. As a reference, though, both the EVO and Euclid are outclassed by the ER4SR when it comes to bass texturing.

As we head up to the midrange, the EVO shows off a different signature as a whole allowing it to show of it's warmer more intimate side of things. The hint of warmth is welcome, and completely devoid and missing in the Euclid. This becomes the fatal flaw in the Euclid's tonality. The EVO also provides a warmer and smoother midrange overall. However, in contrast to the EVO, the Euclid has detailing that is more in your face and stronger clarity and energy as whole. In the midrange, the Euclid simply out-Ety's the Ety.

This additional clarity and energy continues onto the treble. Compared to the EVO, the Euclid offers more in-your-face detailing and sparkle overall. Snares snap harder and offer more energy as whole. They kind of border going harsh, but never quite reach that level. The EVO on the other hand has a treble that still offers good detailing but is textured far softer than the Euclid; this does lead to a less fatiguing sound overall too.

When it comes to sound stage and instrument separation the EVO is no slouch. The staging is about average, not huge but also not small and the separation is more than adequate. However, it's outclassed by the Euclid in both regards; the sense of space and distance is better perceived in the Euclid.

One thing that I should note is that both IEMs are very source dependent. I am actually able to get the EVO to texture very beautifully (better than most IEMs in my entire collection) by pairing it with the NullAudio Nyx BT adapter. For whatever reason, this low-powered BT adapter brings out the bass in an unbelievable fashion even when compared to the likes of the Oppo HA-2 SE (300 mW), V-Moda Vamp Versa (130 mW), and various Lightning to 3.5 adapters (Apple and TC35i).

Despite this, I still feel the Euclid is more technically superior over the EVO. However, that lack of warmth (which in itself is an understatement) really does mess with the tonality. Thus, I do end up reaching for my EVO more often for it's warmer, smoother, and less fatiguing sound.

Comfort

Both of these IEMs have a quirk to them when it comes to comfort. The Euclid is a more shallow-inserting IEM, however it's large housing takes some getting used to. On the other hand, the EVO has a smaller housing that fits better in the ear overall, but requires that certain bit of deep insertion that some people may have trouble with or feel violated doing.

Build Quality

Both of these IEMs utilize a metal housing which adds heft and weight to them. From that perspective, I feel confident with the build quality of both. However, the Euclid does use MMCX connectors which can be problematic. I have more confidence in the T2 connectors Etymotic uses.

As for cabling, the cable offered by Audeze is thicker and firmer then the fishline that Etymotic gives the EVO. That said, I know many have gripped about the thinness of the cable on the EVO, I do feel they are robust and quite strong for what they are. As stated, they feel sort of like a thin fish line or nylon guitar string. Pretty strong and can take some abuse, but definitely not something that is indestructible, quite far from it most likely.

Value

The Euclid is more than 2x the cost of the EVO and that definitely stings. It is definitely the more technically sound of the two IEMs in my opinion... However, at less than half the price, I'd have to say the EVO is a better buy as a whole and a far better value.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #937 of 1,201
I had some time to write up some comparisons between the EVO and Euclid. Both are fairly new IEMs so not much is said about either. To be frank, more has been said about the EVO due to the tour than has been said about the Euclid which has seen a somewhat slow launch.

Etymotic EVO vs Audeze Euclid

Sound

So when I first heard the EVO, I felt that the Audeze Euclid was more in line with how I felt a bass-boosted ER4SR would sound compared to what the EVO offered. Honestly though, I still feel this way. Overall, the EVO reminded me of a very smoothed out ER4SR which has many plus sides, but lost much of it's analytical side that I've grown to love from Etymotic. The Euclid to my ears offers that analytical edge that Etymotic is known for, bit a modest bass boost but lacks warmth.

Overall, the EVO provides more bass presence as a whole. The bass holds a thicker sound overall with a larger body making them a bit more thumpy and impactful as a whole. However, the Euclid do beat them out when it comes to bass texturing as they can portray subtle bass details better, but only slightly so. As a reference, though, both the EVO and Euclid are outclassed by the ER4SR when it comes to bass texturing.

As we head up to the midrange, the EVO shows off a different signature as a whole allowing it to show of it's warmer more intimate side of things. The hint of warmth is welcome, and completely devoid and missing in the Euclid. This becomes the fatal flaw in the Euclid's tonality. The EVO also provides a warmer and smoother midrange overall. However, in contrast to the EVO, the Euclid has detailing that is more in your face and stronger clarity and energy as whole. In the midrange, the Euclid simply out-Ety's the Ety.

This additional clarity and energy continues onto the treble. Compared to the EVO, the Euclid offers more in-your-face detailing and sparkle overall. Snares snap harder and offer more energy as whole. They kind of border going harsh, but never quite reach that level. The EVO on the other hand has a treble that still offers good detailing but is textured far softer than the Euclid; this does lead to a less fatiguing sound overall too.

When it comes to sound stage and instrument separation the EVO is no slouch. The staging is about average, not huge but also not small and the separation is more than adequate. However, it's outclassed by the Euclid in both regards; the sense of space and distance is better perceived in the Euclid.

One thing that I should note is that both IEMs are very source dependent. I am actually able to get the EVO to texture very beautifully (better than most IEMs in my entire collection) by pairing it with the NullAudio Nyx BT adapter. For whatever reason, this low-powered BT adapter brings out the bass in an unbelievable fashion even when compared to the likes of the Oppo HA-2 SE (300 mW), V-Moda Vamp Versa (130 mW), and various Lightning to 3.5 adapters (Apple and TC35i).

Despite this, I still feel the Euclid is more technically superior over the EVO. However, that lack of warmth (which in itself is an understatement) really does mess with the tonality. Thus, I do end up reaching for my EVO more often for it's warmer, smoother, and less fatiguing sound.

Comfort

Both of these IEMs have a quirk to them when it comes to comfort. The Euclid is a more shallow-inserting IEM, however it's large housing takes some getting used to. On the other hand, the EVO has a smaller housing that fits better in the ear overall, but requires that certain bit of deep insertion that some people may have trouble with or feel violated doing.

Build Quality

Both of these IEMs utilize a metal housing which adds heft and weight to them. From that perspective, I feel confident with the build quality of both. However, the Euclid does use MMCX connectors which can be problematic. I have more confidence in the T2 connectors Etymotic uses.

As for cabling, the cable offered by Audeze is thicker and firmer then the fishline that Etymotic gives the EVO. That said, I know many have gripped about the thinness of the cable on the EVO, I do feel they are robust and quite strong for what they are. As stated, they feel sort of like a thin fish line or nylon guitar string. Pretty strong and can take some abuse, but definitely not something that is indestructible, quite far from it most likely.

Value

The Euclid is more than 2x the cost of the EVO and that definitely stings. It is definitely the more technically sound of the two IEMs in my opinion... However, at less than half the price, I'd have to say the EVO is a better buy as a whole and a far better value.

Do you feel like you have to EQ the Euclid?

Aug 8, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #938 of 1,201
Do you feel like you have to EQ the Euclid?
I do not currently EQ the Euclid. Some have, but I generally don't like to EQ a headphone unless it's absolutely necessary (borderlines unlistenable). I will admit, if you could EQ them to be warmer, they would benefit from that.

Edit: however, I will note that the Euclid is very bright. A lot of people may not like that.

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #939 of 1,201
Now the EVO has been available for some time, i wonder if anyone could post an in-depth comparison of the EVO against the EX3XR and/or EX2XR which are the two etymotic iems i currently use.

I would like to know what differences to expect.

d

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #940 of 1,201
My simple Evo review

Pros
+ Clarity
+ Imaging
+ Smooth and pure timbre
+ Rather Good value compare mainstream IEMs

Cons
- Not so easy to fit/seal properly
- In some case, transient not so vivid, lacks some excitement.*

*transient speed is good, but to my taste, somehow too well-controlled, maybe less dramatic.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #941 of 1,201
A few days ago I got the Evo.
Now rather than giving my quick first impression, let my ear (which has short canal) entertain you a bit
IMG_20210810_170904.jpg

Lol, I still have a seal due to the deep fit. But I didn't expect it sticks out like this.
Guess that says something about my canal length rofl

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #942 of 1,201
A few days ago I got the Evo.
Now rather than giving my quick first impression, let my ear (which has short canal) entertain you a bit IMG_20210810_170904.jpg

Lol, I still have a seal due to the deep fit. But I didn't expect it sticks out like this.
Guess that says something about my canal length rofl
Pull up from the helix of your ear while putting it in. Then twist as you insert. This helps straighten the ear canal as you put in the IEM.

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #943 of 1,201
Pull up from the helix of your ear while putting it in. Then twist as you insert. This helps straighten the ear canal as you put in the IEM.
That's what I basically did lol. It's just my ear is like that

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #944 of 1,201
That's what I basically did lol. It's just my ear is like that
Either you are a very tolerant person or the sound is THAT good if you decide to keep using them like that! :scream:

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #945 of 1,201
Either you are a very tolerant person or the sound is THAT good if you decide to keep using them like that! :scream:
It's normal for me. I don't really have any discomfort.

My ear canal since birth has been short as hell so almost everything is guaranteed a deep fit
Either a curse or a blessing or both lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back