Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Aug 10, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #947 of 1,204
Aug 10, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #949 of 1,204
Aug 12, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #951 of 1,204
Aug 12, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #952 of 1,204
So he did get his hands on it. I was expecting him to like it, it meets his preferences almost dead on.
His writeup isn't that favorable.

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #953 of 1,204
His writeup isn't that favorable.
From a price perspective, no; he's been putting a lot of that into his reviews lately. But it is more or less fair. The Evo has its tradeoffs but overall sounds better. Compared to the other Ety IEMs, it's not the best value, but still worth it in his eyes. This kind of is expected knowing all the R&D that went into this particular model vs the rest of their lineup.

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #954 of 1,204
From a price perspective, no; he's been putting a lot of that into his reviews lately. But it is more or less fair. The Evo has its tradeoffs but overall sounds better. Compared to the other Ety IEMs, it's not the best value, but still worth it in his eyes. This kind of is expected knowing all the R&D that went into this particular model vs the rest of their lineup.
Wholeheartedly agree. People have their specific criteria, but it's good to identify what about it he didn't like (as you just did). Too many people just instantly go to "Crin didn't give it a S, so it's not worth it." Really not looking forward to that sort of damage control.

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #955 of 1,204

In his view though it doesn't sound like he thinks it sounds better. He says its better in some ways and worse in other ways than the ER4, and ends by saying that it performs at about the same level as the $300 (actually much less) ER4 and asking why it exists at all, and the answer is "canned bread".

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #956 of 1,204
I wouldnt say he's saying its worth it in his view,

In his view though it doesn't sound like he thinks it sounds better. He says its better in some ways and worse in other ways than the ER4, and ends by saying that it performs at about the same level as the $300 (actually much less) ER4 and asking why it exists at all, and the answer is "canned bread".
He literally says the words "worth it" in the review under his own metrics. The issue is that the ER4 has been an absolute stellar price to performance IEM so this would, by comparison, look so much worse from that perspective.

Now, the ER4 had been a masterclass in price-to-performance around $300 so naturally an IEM that performs about the same at $500 would still get the one-star “Worth it” approval under IEF metrics.
Edit: to be honest, his review sounds like he's griping about the price more than anything else. For the price, the EVO isn't a steal like how a lot of people feel the ER4, ER3, and ER2 are. But it is a fair price for the SQ you get from it.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #957 of 1,204
Wholeheartedly agree. People have their specific criteria, but it's good to identify what about it he didn't like (as you just did). Too many people just instantly go to "Crin didn't give it a S, so it's not worth it." Really not looking forward to that sort of damage control.
To be honest, I don't think it deserves the "S" tier, whatever that ends up meaning. But compared to the other headphones he's rated S-tier, it's not quite there. That said, one thing to note about Crin's reviews is that if he rates something highly, it tends to actually be good. However, if he rates something poorly, that doesn't automatically mean it's bad.

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #958 of 1,204
To be honest, I don't think it deserves the "S" tier, whatever that ends up meaning. But compared to the other headphones he's rated S-tier, it's not quite there. That said, one thing to note about Crin's reviews is that if he rates something highly, it tends to actually be good. However, if he rates something poorly, that doesn't automatically mean it's bad.
I've accepted he and I have different preferences a while ago, so no harm no foul. It'll be tougher for others who are newer to the hobby to parse that sort of information, though. Figured I'd mention it for their sake. Agree 100% with your statement about what his rankings correlate to, by the way.

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #960 of 1,204
Does the EVO have the same microphonic cable issues that normal Etymotic ER series have?
It was much tougher to get microphonic noise to transmit through the cable in my experience. Granted, there's only one wear option available with the EVO (around the ear), which helps with that tremendously. They're dead quiet in that configuration as long as you can get the proper insertion depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back