Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Apr 20, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #211 of 1,201
Then you're also experiencing quite a bit of imbalance in the low frequencies on those IEMs, with the side the vent is blocked on outputting (sometimes much) more (sub-) bass than the other. In your case, I'd recommend blocking the vents (with tape or modelling clay) altogether.

On a personal note, I really don't like it when IEM manufacturers place the dynamic drivers' front cavity vents on the shells' inner halves as this will obviously lead to different people experiencing way different bass quantity due to whether the vents are naturally blocked when the IEMs are placed in their ears or not. Some manufacturers deal with that by relocating the front cavity vents either towards the sides or the faceplates (which is definitely not that trivial, but some have done it (e.g. Sennheiser on the IE 8/80/80S)) where one would usually expect the dynamic drivers' rear cavity vent.
Awesome! You get the frustration. Yep, it usually manifests in a channel imbalance issue, most noticeably in the upper midrange and low frequency extension.

I'll keep driver blocking in mind as a corrective technique. Worked fairly well for the budget Tin stuff I've got in the stable. Thanks!

Apr 20, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #213 of 1,201
Did hell freeze over? Ety doing multidriver? Any frequency response out there? what bass driver used?
Hey buddy. Nice to see you here.

Yep, they're doing a hybrid. Not much we know about it yet.

Edited for being wildly inaccurate.Sorry folks.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #216 of 1,201
Apr 20, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #217 of 1,201
With such bulk in the body, I got a feeling it won't insert as deep as the classic housing. I am however curious how a triple or multi-driver sounds with a deep insertion. I seem to have better luck with sound of deeper insertions with multiBA or dynamic driver iems.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #218 of 1,201
So, this is two-way configuration like triple fi, but with better ergonomics of today's standards. Although Tiple-fi was early in adopting multi-driver, their fit design was terrible.

Quick question guys, two-way means two separate acoustic outlets from sets of drivers for their respective frequency ranges, correct? I always thought it was a number of ranges separated by cross-overs. I guess both would refer to each other.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #219 of 1,201
Awesome! You get the frustration. Yep, it usually manifests in a channel imbalance issue, most noticeably in the upper midrange and low frequency extension.

True, some IEMs with dynamic drivers are also affected in their (usually upper) midrange (and lower treble) response depending whether the rear cavity vent is blocked or not. Definitely not something I like ("how did the manufacturer want us the IEMs to hear?") and much worse than if only the sub-bass is affected.

Quick question guys, two-way means two separate acoustic outlets from sets of drivers for their respective frequency ranges, correct? I always thought it was a number of ranges separated by cross-overs. I guess both would refer to each other.

Not necessarily - there are two-way driver implementations where both drivers share the same outlet spout (think Knowles TWFK or GQ series).

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #220 of 1,201
So, this is two-way configuration like triple fi, but with better ergonomics of today's standards. Although Tiple-fi was early in adopting multi-driver, their fit design was terrible.

The EVO is a two-way, triple driver configuration. It has a mid/high driver and a dual bass driver.

In general, balanced armature drivers all have individual outputs, but (as CK mentions above) they often share a single output spout. It can be done multiple ways. For example, an 8 driver earphone might use 4 dual packages, resulting in 4 spouts and corresponding sound channels. From there, some or all of the sound channels are combined as 4 exit tubes would make the stem of the earphone rather unwieldy.

One of the design goals for the EVO was that we wanted it all to terminate in a single output tube because dual (or more) sound channel solutions tend to be a bit large in the canal for our particular tastes.

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #222 of 1,201
One of the design goals for the EVO was that we wanted it all to terminate in a single output tube because dual (or more) sound channel solutions tend to be a bit large in the canal for our particular tastes.
The single output tube to keep the nozzle thin makes sense given deep insertion. Curious why you said "tastes" and not "requirements".

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #223 of 1,201
The single output tube to keep the nozzle thin makes sense given deep insertion. Curious why you said "tastes" and not "requirements".

I think saying "our requirements" or "our tastes" would both work here. There are a lot of different approaches to earphone design form factor (particularly as it applies to insertion depth). There is an element of opinion on what is the best mechanical approach to design so I phrased it in a way that implies that it is our preference rather than being *correct* in an absolute sense.

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #224 of 1,201
I think saying "our requirements" or "our tastes" would both work here. There are a lot of different approaches to earphone design form factor (particularly as it applies to insertion depth). There is an element of opinion on what is the best mechanical approach to design so I phrased it in a way that implies that it is our preference rather than being *correct* in an absolute sense.
Well said Dave. And that's why there's never ever gonna be one fits all solution. Myself I am just upset that I will never ever be adjusted to Grado styling due to issues with actual pain waring them, despite loving their exciting sound. And on the other hand find absolute comfort in the most unlikely of candidates, my AKG K52 with velour pads being able to stay on my head literally all day long.

.....an now I just need to find the perfect tips to allow me wear my ER4SR for 8 hours straight. SpinFit CP800 so far doing decent job on it for up to 5 hours.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #225 of 1,201
image_2021-04-21_185308.png

https://www.instagram.com/etymoticofficial/

+26 followers to hit 1K!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back