Etymotic replacement cord options?
Sep 12, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #16 of 31
I would expect so as the only difference I'm aware of between Westone and UE plugs is that the prongs on the Westone cables are a bit longer. And as far as I know there are no resistors build into the UE or Westone cables.

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rTyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Check this out - New on AW Ebay site

FOR ETYMOTIC ER4 IN-EARPHONE CABLE ADAPTOR - S - eBay (item 300345590629 end time Oct-06-09 20:13:31 PDT)

This connector is designed to work with a Westone ES cable. AW has P and S versions posted. With shipping, this will run $34. Westone ES cable, ordered from Westone, $40.00 with shipping."

great!

can i use it with this? /it has resistors in the cable - capacity unknown/
Ultimate Ears Replacement Cable for Super.fi 3, Super.fi 5 Pro, Triple.fi 10 Pro HiFi Headphones

maybe we should invite the guy from ebay here and get some nice things made
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would expect so as the only difference I'm aware of between Westone and UE plugs is that the prongs on the Westone cables are a bit longer. And as far as I know there are no resistors build into the UE or Westone cables.

I know what I'm going to do in the future: I'm going to buy those adaptors (P version) and an aftermarket cable for UE/Westone IEM. I'm looking at those of Null Audio, atm
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #19 of 31
edited; incorrect information

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awwann is HF member 'lil'knight'

LOL, not me. The seller is in HK.
His username is the same here. I even bought the resistance adaptor from him.

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #21 of 31
really?? I thought I had read of several people mentioning this; sorry for the confusion
confused.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #22 of 31
The 4P adaptor arrived from Hong Kong today and I installed it and the Westone ES cable on my ER4. I can now turn my head in silence. Cable fits well over the ear. To use the words of NC8000, this is really cool.

It is great having an old friend back in my earphone stable.
happy_face1.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by otello66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 4P adaptor arrived from Hong Kong today and I installed it and the Westone ES cable on my ER4. I can now turn my head in silence. Cable fits well over the ear. To use the words of NC8000, this is really cool.

It is great having an old friend back in my earphone stable.
happy_face1.gif

Very cool. I love westone cables, thanks for the info.

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #24 of 31
How is the SQ with the Westone cable? Is there any improvement or is it just for convenience (less microphonics, lighter...) ?

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the SQ with the Westone cable? Is there any improvement or is it just for convenience (less microphonics, lighter...) ?

I didn't do a critical A/B comparison, so I can not comment on any "improvement". I will say that the ER4 sounds fine with the Westone cable and the AW connector.

As I stated in my posts, I found the microphonics of the stock Ety cable so distracting I stopped using the earphone. My primary goal was to get rid of the cable noise.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I put westone cables on my customs and ,at least, it didn't degrade the SQ

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #27 of 31
this thread was last active quite a while ago, but I'd like to bring it back. 

what are people doing these days for the ER4 cable replacements? obviously, I'm in the market :)

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #28 of 31
I went through this quest about a year ago. I contacted A Pure Sound at least 3 times to place an order and never heard anything. Perhaps he is no longer in business? Anyway, since that route didn't lead anywhere, and since my usual source for cables (Drew at Moon Audio) doesn't offer anything that is compatible with Etymotic 'phones, I ordered the Lune Series III replacement cable from Null Audio, in all black. It took a while to arrive, but when it did, I was very pleased.

First off, the cable is soft and very flexible. It almost feels like a shoelace. There is a harder piece around the ear (feels like shrink wrap) to hold it in place behind the ear. The Etymotic-specific connector is rather large compared to the plastic piece on the stock cable, but the connection is very solid. On the other end, I went with the standard Null Audio SC3 3.5mm (1/8") connector. It is also very solid and the gray finish looks nice next to the black nylon sheath. Overall, they are really nice cables to use - they are comfortable, don't tangle, and stay in place behind my ear. There are no microphonics to speak of.

How about the sound? In short, they sound fantastic! The best way to describe the subjective change in the sound through these cables compared to the stock cable is that they sound more organic. By that I mean the ER-4s are very detailed and revealing, and they lost none of that, but it feels as though the music breathes a bit better through these cables. There is a greater sense of ease. Perhaps something about the impedance of the cable or the connector tames a specific frequency spike to which my ears are particularly sensitive - who knows? It's like the sound just relaxed and settled in for the ride rather than being on alert.

The other thing I noticed is a coherence to the sound top to bottom. With the ER-4s, it's definitely not "all about that bass" and I don't mean to imply that the cables changed the extension in either direction, exactly - but with these in between my amp and my ears, I found just listened to the music rather than listening to the frequency characteristics of the 'phones. The difference is subtle but important - these cables bring out the music lover rather than the audiophile part of my brain.

For context, I mainly listen to classical (especially well-recorded chamber music) and jazz. When I travel, and sometimes at the office, I listen to ALAC files ripped from CDs and stored on a 160 gb iPod Classic played through a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable into a Fostex HP-P1 dac/amp. I have the ER-4P and the Etymotic-brand ER-4S converter cable, which I tend to use most of the time. (The HP-P1 has a volume imbalance between the L and R channels at the lower end of its volume pot, and it happens to be right where I like to listen without the converter cable in the mix. By inserting the additional resistor, I can up the volume and get past that.) I find the entire presentation of the ER-4 with the S converter to be more relaxed and organic (essentially what I was describing above) and generally prefer it. (In short, I think the Null Audio cables bring out the best characteristics of the ER-4S variant without adding any unwanted peakiness or coloration.)

My other set-up is a 13" MacBook Pro (retina) with high-res files (aiff) downloaded from HD Tracks and played through the Amarra 3.0.3 player. I have a Dragonfly 1.2 as well as a Meridian Explorer2 (fed by a Moon Audio Black Dragon UBS cable) and generally prefer the Explorer. High-res recordings through the Etys are incredibly detailed and engaging, and I found that the more organic, relaxed character of the Null Audio cables enhances that sense of spaciousness around the instruments.

I recently got a great deal on an RAL KEB02iB, which works with both the iPod Classic and the MacBook Pro. In that configuration, I have to use the S converter because the RAL has a ton of hiss throug the Etys without it. With the converter in place, it just seems kind of lifeless. It is not a synergistic combo. (However, the RAL is absolutely incredible through open-back headphones, like the Beyerdynamic DT-880, 250 ohm version! Talk about organic and musical! It is by far and away the best music listening experience I have had outside of a concert hall. Too bad it doesn't work with efficient iems.)

Null Audio has other cables that are more expensive than the Lune series cable I ordered. I suppose it is possible that they might sound different - even better - than the Lune version. Let's just say I am usually the kind who suffers from upgrade-itis and I don't feel the need to upgrade these. I am very happy with them and would definitely buy them again.

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #29 of 31
hi,

i'm in the same boat as my (now very) old etymotic cables are cracking.
can you post pictures of how the new cables connect to the ER4?

thanks

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #30 of 31
how have people got on with the Null Audio Lune cable replacement. Any further advice on the options there or other options??? I am on third pair of Etymotic ER4 phones, they all die because of the poor cables fitted. Sending back to US from UK getting expensive and a nuisance. Please share any further useful experiences on a replacement strategy. Also I am assuming it's just a matter of pulling the original cable away from ear piece. Any tips there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back