Etymotic replacement cord options?
Sep 7, 2009 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

klaberte

New Head-Fier
Hi. I have enjoyed my Ety ER 4P for a while, but have never been happy with the cable, especially the wide-angle, pigtail issue. It seems that Xin used to make a replacement cable, but that seems no longer available.

Are there other options that are currently available? From Etymotic? Some used Xin cables?

Note that I am happy with the lower resistance value, as these will mostly be used with portable players.

Many thanks!

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 31
What's "the wide-angle pigtail issue"?

I don't know how old your Etys are, but mine are about 8 years old and have a non-braided cable. At one point, Etymotic changed to a braided cable that supposedly is less microphonic. A few years ago, I wrote Etymotic about recabling with the braided cable, and they offered to do it for $50. So if you have the non-braided cable, that might be an option for you.

BTW, even if you use it directly out of portable players, I recommend that you get a P-to-S adapter for $18 off ebay and try it. You may find that you much prefer it even directly out of portables.

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 31
Apart from getting a replacement cable from Etymotics (which requires you to send your phones to Etymotics as they will not sell it as a spare) your only real other option is the APureSound cable at about $190. I think there are some head-fi'ers who have made their own and there is somewhere in Asia or Russia that makes an even more expensive cable.

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 31
Sorry, "the wide-angle pigtail issue", see ER4P, Best Earphone! and read point 2. Basically, the angle of the wires from the drivers is quite large, so the cables stick out quite a bit and look like pigtails (unless you tuck behind your ears).

Does anyone know if this cable is swappable with the ety hf5? Does it have the same two-pin interface?

K

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 31
The HF5/HF2 do not have replaceable cables. The APureSound cable does not stick out but goes straight 90 degrees from the base of the barrel of the driver so a much better. Also you loose the resistor pod in the middle of the cable as the resistor is in the plug instead. The APS cable álso has less microphonics than the stock cable and generally sounds better but at a rather hefty cost.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #6 of 31
Have you seen this?

ETYMOTIC ER4 IN-EARPHONE UPGRADE TEFLON CABLE - P - eBay (item 290344237788 end time Sep-27-09 02:20:53 PDT)

the guy also sells a version with a switch to P, S or B so you don't have to carry the adapter if you use them as both S and P. it is a little more expensive, but can be quite convenient.
I've done business with the guy before and he is reliable and helpful.
I don't know if this cable offers any improvement in SQ, but it is possible and if you could buy it and let us know.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 31
Looks decent enough and the price is certainly more manageable that the APS cable but impossible to say how it compares in real life

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen this?

ETYMOTIC ER4 IN-EARPHONE UPGRADE TEFLON CABLE - P - eBay (item 290344237788 end time Sep-27-09 02:20:53 PDT)

the guy also sells a version with a switch to P, S or B so you don't have to carry the adapter if you use them as both S and P. it is a little more expensive, but can be quite convenient.
I've done business with the guy before and he is reliable and helpful.
I don't know if this cable offers any improvement in SQ, but it is possible and if you could buy it and let us know.....
smily_headphones1.gif

I've also purchased items from this source and he has been reliable. I've long had a love/hate relationship with my ER4, mainly around the cable. Given the great clarity, I can put up with somewhat less bass, but the cable noise drives me crazy. I really don't understand what the marketing folks at Etymotic are thinking by not addressing this on the ER4. Why should I have to consider spending more on a cable from APureSound than I spent on the ER4 to address the cable issue?

So the ER4 sits in a drawer, while I listen happily to a Westone UM3x. Now if only Etymotic could source the ER4 cable from the same vendor that Westone uses for theirs.

Maybe I will break down and get a cable from AW. Probably not the switchable one, though. Although being able to switch between the P, S, and B is an intriguing thought.
regular_smile .gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 31
The APS cable does considerably more than just address the ergonomics problems of the stock cable but I will admit that it is expensive

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 31
Any who's got the replacement cable from AW and has impressions to share?

This looks like an interesting alternative to the APS cable, even if it did nothing more than removed the pigtail issue and reduced microphonics (to me, the two major downsides of the ER4).

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 31
Now that's cool. I loved the Westone ES cable I had for my Tripple.fi's, most comfortable and flexible cable I have ever tried and no microphonics at all.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by otello66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check this out - New on AW Ebay site

FOR ETYMOTIC ER4 IN-EARPHONE CABLE ADAPTOR - S - eBay (item 300345590629 end time Oct-06-09 20:13:31 PDT)

This connector is designed to work with a Westone ES cable. AW has P and S versions posted. With shipping, this will run $34. Westone ES cable, ordered from Westone, $40.00 with shipping.

I've orderd mine (P Version) and will post my impressions.

Otello, thanks for the tip! I'm really looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Does anyone know if Westone ship internationally (their online store seems to be US only)?

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #14 of 31
I got my Westone ES cable from Jaben (head-fi sponsor).

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Otello, thanks for the tip! I'm really looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Does anyone know if Westone ship internationally (their online store seems to be US only)?

You could email Westone customer service with your question: westone@westone.com

Also, I see that Westone has a European distributor: Welkom op de website van Variphone | Variphone Benelux

Users who are viewing this thread

Back