Etymotic or Westone ?
Mar 11, 2008 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

philie

New Head-Fier
hey,

first of all hello! i am from germany and really like your forum!
so today i decided to register myself.

maybe you could help me.

i am coming to san francisco next week and i really want to use that chance to buy myself in ears. i read a lot about (quite) cheap but good in ears like the etymotic er6 i.

could you tell me wich is the better choice if you hear

pop rock ( morrissey, pink floy, beatles) and electro ( aphex twin, daft punkt etc. ) ?

and what ist the better choice the er6i or the er6?

there are also the ultimate ears super fi3 but i really dont like how they look out of your ear. i want small and "invisible" in ears with a great sound

would you recommend the westone um1 or the etymotic er6i?

thank you very much!

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 28
The UM1s are warmer with less treble extension than the ER6i's. The fit of the UM1s are good no matter what sort and shape of ear you have. Some people have trouble getting a good seal with the Etys.

When it comes to comfort and style I prefer the UM1s. Their flat design that does not stick out of ones ears is really nice. I think it is a compromise the UM1s win with regards to comfort and style, but for shear performance the ER6is have the edge, in my opinion.

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 28
Yes it is. Each person has their own "taste" in headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
Just a matter of finding out what you like and then go for it!

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 28
As others have said it is a matter of taste and sound is often an aquired taste much like food. For me, westone (both UM1 and 2) come across too muffled and also the soundstage feels like its setup behind the center of my head. I still keep UM2 as backup, but Etymotic is my choice. That said, Ety is known for articulated base than vibrational base (if that's the right word) so if you want to feel the base, I found that westone does it better. For mainstream pop and more classical type music I would prefer Ety's.

As for the issue of "fitting" them into your ear, I find it to be fairly random. UM1/2 don't work in some ears where the "fat body" of the earplug hits and rubs against the ear to disrupt the plug from fitting in ideally. Etymotic don't have that problem, but in turn you would likely have to try various different foams to see which one works the best for you. In my opinion the best fit is achieved with Ety + memory foam (even from Westone brand works too), simply because there is no physical obstruction with Ety, meaning the only factor is the state of the plug itself.

I gather your source is a portable like iPod sort...? Then I would go for ER6i, but I hope you will get to try both before you buy. I know enough people out there who find Ety too light for their taste and I must admit, for weighty genre Ety feels light weight. It does 'serenade' very well though for more sentimental music, which works for me because of the type of music I listen to.

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 28
hey,

yes my source is an ipod and i definitely hve no problem with ligh in ears^^

with the etys it is just that they look a bit out of the ear and you cant thke the wire around your ear...i dont like that.
but i will have a closer look and probably try both of them.

just another question converning these two in ears and the ipod. is it recommended to buy an amplifiert for the ipod if you hear with them or is it ok just to plug these is the ipod?

thanks a lot you guys.

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 28
Sounds like discrete fit is just as important to you as SQ. With that in mind, the Westones really do fit nicely in the recess of the ear and don't stick out as much as the UE or the Etys. That having been said, I am a big fan of the accurate sound of the Ety. Have fun in San Francisco

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by spark008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should try Um1

because ER6 is not for rock

it lack bass

but Um1 have bass

hey,
so do you think the 30$ are worth it?

and just another important question for me: the er6i isolator are available in black and white. the whites have a NOT curved 3,5mm plug.

is the plug of the black er6i isolators curved in a about raight angle or is the plug not curved?

this is really important for my descission beacuase i would prefer a not curved plug.

thanks

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #12 of 28
the current version of the 6i has the bent plug for both colors.

I'd say the 6i, it's almost as accurate as its $300 brother- the 4p, but much cheaper. Most people would agree with the UM1 you wound gain a bit of bass but lose accuracy.

I was at same path as you, I went with the 6is -a year ago.

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the current version of the 6i has the bent plug for both colors.

I'd say the 6i, it's almost as accurate as its $300 brother- the 4p, but much cheaper. Most people would agree with the UM1 you wound gain a bit of bass but lose accuracy.

I was at same path as you, I went with the 6is -a year ago.

still have yours?
biggrin.gif

well the thing about the bass...
i really not that bass fanatic. its grat when there is some bass but i normally hear with ipod headfones and there no bass exists.

the westone cost about 109$ + shipping and the etys about 70$ + shipping so i really think "why pay 40$ more for a bit of bass"

i think i will go for the er6i and i i dont like it the westone is mine.

thanks a lot you guys!

Mar 15, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 28
i just changed my mind and i am goint to buy the westones next week!

its not only because of the bass but also because of the fit. i just have real real in ear photos and the um1s look just great.

now i have 3 little questions
tongue.gif

would you recommend the shure black oliv foam tips also for the westones or is there anything better on the market?
woul you recommend an amp for my 20gig gen4 ipod/ iphone ? i have seen this cmoy amp on ebay and it looks great and is cheap. is there any better cheap alternative?

my last question is concerning buyin the um1. i want to buy them at earphonesolutions becuase i havent find them for a better price. is there any coupon to safe a bit of money or sth. like that?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back