Etymotic or Westone ?
Mar 15, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #16 of 28
if you go in the usa, considering the change us $ - euro, you can buy several things (ipods, etc.) but my advice is : buy westone um2, in old europe they cost much more euros more!
ah, welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet!
cool.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by zomas65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you go in the usa, considering the change us $ - euro, you can buy several things (ipods, etc.) but my advice is : buy westone um2, in old europe they cost much more euros more!
ah, welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet!
cool.gif

my wallet already screams! um2 are not an option for an student like me^^
but i really think um1 will be great for my expectations.
so can anybody help me concerning my questions?

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #18 of 28
Mar 15, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #19 of 28
I auditioned Ety ER6 at a local audio store a few days ago and was shocked - I thought that they actually had almost as much bass as my UE super.fi 5 Pros, but it was definitely of higher quality! And when using the bass boost feature on my MiniBox E+, I actually thought the bass became overpowering! Now I really wonder whether there's something wrong with my ears, seeing how so many people think that Etys have no bass...

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I auditioned Ety ER6 at a local audio store a few days ago and was shocked - I thought that they actually had almost as much bass as my UE super.fi 5 Pros, but it was definitely of higher quality! And when using the bass boost feature on my MiniBox E+, I actually thought the bass became overpowering! Now I really wonder whether there's something wrong with my ears, seeing how so many people think that Etys have no bass...

I use my ER6 & ER4P/S with my iAudio 7 mostly. I EQ them and there's a lot of bass potential. I've also experimented with these ety's at home with my Aphex 204 and tube amp...WOW! Big bass and delicious detail all at once.

Mar 15, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #21 of 28
I agree, Ety's have more bass than people give them credit for and it responds very well to EQ.

Mar 15, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 28
To clarify my post above, I have never heard the ER6/6i only the ER4P/S, and my statewment was based off of that.

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To clarify my post above, I have never heard the ER6/6i only the ER4P/S, and my statewment was based off of that.

thanks, thas underlines my decision. also the er6i have to have a wire "problem" so i am looking for the um1.
where can i buy it the cheapest price?

Mar 16, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #28 of 28
I heard the Westone UM1s a while back and didn't like them at all - the highs just didn't cut it for me. I though that my UE super.fi 3s had no highs, but the UM1s actually had even less. Also, the bass was kinda weak and the overall sound was pretty boring. I think Ety ER6 easily blow them away in SQ. As for build quality, the wires do look very thin and fragile on the ER6, but as long as the phones are under warranty, Etymotic will surely replace them for you in case they break, so don't worry.

BTW, I heard that the Etys can be recabled easily with better quality cables, although I am not sure whether that's true or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back