Etymotic isolation vs SuperFi 4 with Comply tips
Jun 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jbi130

New Head-Fier
Just curious if Etymotic IEMs will have better isolation than my current superfi 4s with the comply tips.  Currently after the best isolation I can get for a bunch of upcoming travel.

I really appreciate the isolation I already get with the superfi's - sure beats noise cancelling sets.  But I'm wondering if I can still get better.

Thanks.

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 5
The Ety isolation is really something else; what I think it is is that the foam tips aren't the same as the Comply tips; they're stiffer and actual standard foam. I get a very shallow fit with them (shallower than the Comply tips) and as soon as I do, every sound outside of my IEMs is blocked out.

I love it.  Of course you have to like the Ety sound or you might be disappointed. 

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, sound isn't as important as isolation - I pretty much just watch the movies then try to sleep (with the earphones in).

Can different IEMs with comply tips have different isolation levels?  Or is more the tip that provides isolation instead of the IEM.. Perhaps some other aftermarket tips that fit my super fi 4's is all that I need.

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 5
It's mostly the tips, but Etys are renowned for their incredible isolation.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 5
Mostly the tip. The housing might have a slight "say so" because of the limitations you might get on insertion.

For example, I couldn't use the Klipsch tips on my UM3X  because the tips were too short and required a deep insertion. The X5/X10s are very small and allow for such an insertion. On the other hand, the 3Xs are made for shallow and sit inside the ear. The result? I couldn't get any seals with the Klipsch tips even though they were the right size for my ears. I just couldn't insert them far enough.

Of course that's kind of in left field because I was using tips made for other IEMs but you get my point. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back