Etymotic HF5's broke, now what?
Dec 17, 2012 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Domo0826

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, just recently my HF5s broke :frowning2:  I really enjoyed the sound quality of these, but through my own fault I kinda broke them.  My question is if I should just buy another pair of these or try something new.  I enjoyed how accurate they sounded with the highs and mids, but found the bass to be lacking. (which of course is to be expected coming from Etymotic :p)  Is there anything that sounds like these with more bass?  I don't want to spend more than $150 either way.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 5
First, I'd consider contacting Etymotic. I've heard their customer service is great and if you are within the warranty range, they may work something out for you. Second, I'd consider the Re 262 in that price range. Reviews seem stellar from both ClieOS and Joker and they are within that price range. Not sure if the highs extend quite like the HF5, but you will get a better soundstage and bass.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
First, I'd consider contacting Etymotic. I've heard their customer service is great and if you are within the warranty range, they may work something out for you. Second, I'd consider the Re 262 in that price range. Reviews seem stellar from both ClieOS and Joker and they are within that price range. Not sure if the highs extend quite like the HF5, but you will get a better soundstage and bass.

Thanks I did contact them, I am considering buying a new IEM anyway, figured it was Christmas, would be a good time to try something new anyway :p  Also do you know if the RE 262 need an amp? I used the HF5s on-the-go for travel, I am not too sure if I want to bring a amp with me everywhere I go.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 5
I believe the RE 262's do need an amp to get them to reach their soundstage potential. Another option, since it sounds like you may get your HF5's back, would be to check out the RE0 for $50. That IEM has amazing detail, and is my favorite earphone currently by a wide margin... though take that opinion with a large handful of salt since I only own 6 pairs of sub-$60 IEMs... though I have heard $300+ Beyer Dynamic cans and I still think the RE0's are better. The RE0's sound great without amping though and the reviews are stellar as well. My only beef with the RE0's is that the soundstage isn't very large, but the detail and signature is really quite nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back