Etymotic HF-5 Vs. Ultimate Ear UE-18 Pro
Mar 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

goodolcheez

100+ Head-Fier
After a month of my Etymotic HF5 ownership I'm pretty happy with the treble sound. Talk about treble extensions, it's immense. I experienced this after tinkering with the equalizer in my iPod Touch 4G. I have never used equalizer before so I'm newb in this.

I see some users raving about Ultimate Ear UE-18 Pro. I know nothing about these brands and models. I just recently checked it out and the asking price is $1350. I have never dreamed about spending that much on an IEM..

My question is, how does Etymotic HF5 fair against the UE-18 Pro?  Is it competitive?  Is it worth pay that much more on UE-18 Pro over the HF-5?

Btw, that UE-18 thing looks strange, like organic life form...or like jelly. It looks like something that aliens from outer planet would wear... the first time when I saw them in pics I was like wth is that??!!@#$

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 11
There's a law of diminishing returns that would apply here. The UE18 is equivalent to purchasing around 13 different pairs of HF5's. Does that mean the UE18 is 13 times better in SQ dept than the etys? Of course not; but I'm pretty sure there's a consensus that the UE18 IS better. 

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
There's a law of diminishing returns that would apply here. The UE18 is equivalent to purchasing around 13 different pairs of HF5's. Does that mean the UE18 is 13 times better in SQ dept than the etys? Of course not; but I'm pretty sure there's a consensus that the UE18 IS better. 

It's actually 9 times the price difference, not 13... HF-5 is priced at 150 USD although I paid $125 for it.

I had no intention of dissing the UE-18 Pro in any way. That bizzare looking device looks tempting. I would like one. I did read that it has much better soundstaging and wider range of sound. But I say, damn, that's a lot of dough for a set of IEM...

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:

I see some users raving about Ultimate Ear UE-18 Pro. I know nothing about these brands and models. I just recently checked it out and the asking price is $1350.

If there's one thing I've learned on head-fi, it's that if some users are raving about something, that means you have to buy it.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 11
HF5 is entry level, UE18 is top of the line, perhaps among top 5 in the world so there is really no comparison.  Like comparing a Honda Civic to a Ferrari.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 11

Thanks for the input guys. I guess the phrase "You get what you pay for..." applies here too.

I'm sure the UE18 costs $1350 for many reasons. I still like my HF5... Once I pay off my credit card bill I'll try to dish out for an UE18-Pro. That thing looks very tempting.

Bye

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 11
There's also another phrase that applies "be thankful for what you have..." Sometimes head-fiers can get too caught up in the hobby. Remember to cherish what you currently have, and not think too much about what you're not getting with what you currently have. This allows you to enjoy what you have much more.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
I'm sure the UE18 costs $1350 for many reasons. I still like my HF5... Once I pay off my credit card bill I'll try to dish out for an UE18-Pro. That thing looks very tempting.

1) UE18 probably costs $1350 for a large profit;
2) I have the HF5, and while it's not perfect, at 10x the price of the HF5 it is impossible that the UE18 sounds 10x better than the HF5;
3) Why shell out that much $$ for a little (or even good) bit of improvement?  Invest in a top of the line player (J3?) and portable amp (Arrow, RSA?).  HF5's will sound better than they do now.

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

2) I have the HF5, and while it's not perfect, at 10x the price of the HF5 it is impossible that the UE18 sounds 10x better than the HF5;
3) Why shell out that much $$ for a little (or even good) bit of improvement?  Invest in a top of the line player (J3?) and portable amp (Arrow, RSA?).  HF5's will sound better than they do now.

for a large profit... ha ha that was funny.:D

What does portable amp do?.. Depending on the song, I get a bit of distortion when I increase the volume from the player.. is it because my HF-5 is too weak to handle or does it have something to do with the amp??  I'm newb in this.

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

It IS 10X better.  And I disagree.  With portable audio the best place toput your money is in the IEM ...not the player or the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back