Etymotic ER6i vs. Westone UM1
Aug 1, 2008 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

songa

New Head-Fier
sorry guys i know this gets discussed alot as I have done a search and found many reviews and comments on both models. however i am still a little confused. to my understanding it seems that the ER6i's are clearer and more flat and balanced, thus lacking a little in the low end. the UM1's sound like they are still very clear but not as flat, with some minor attention in the low end. these are also the most comfortable. is this pretty much true?

I am looking for a revealing headphone, one that is very clear and crisp. however, i listen to alot of hip hop so bass is still important to me, but i dont like overpowering bass that I have heard on the new V Moda Vibes (I generally liked the sound of the sennheiser cx300's however). are the ER6i's bass really that bad?

ultimately, which of the 2 would you choose if you were me and whY? I listen to mostly hip hop, but have priorities in clarity and flat response in my headphones.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 6
The UM1 is dark sounding, somewhat warm. The ER6 can be bright. If it were up to me, I'd go for the ER6 and EQ up the bass a bit (I can afford to since I've ReplayGained all my tracks down to 83db). But from stock, the UM1 is a much more enjoyable IEM for hip-hop IMHO, though the response isn't that flat.

Are you sure you want flat, neutral response for hip-hop? It's not as fun. The CX300s definitely are not neutral, and if you're looking for the one that sounds similar the UM1 still wins (even though the bass on the UM1 isn't nearly as farty or bloated).

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 6
If hip hop's your love, then you'll likely want not just an "accurate" bass presentation, but that booming (enveloping vibration) as well? If so, then I'm afraid neither of these choices will give you the amount of bass you want. So, I'd also consider getting an in-ear or canal-ear that uses dynamic or hybrid sets of drivers.

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 6
thanks for the response guys. ive actually only heard the cx 300's and the V-Moda Vibes so i dont have much to compare to. both of these models are supposed to have boomy, emphasized bass, but i find the cx300's to be a much better balance in sound than the vmoda vibes. the vibes i feel put wayyy too much emphasis on the low end, muffling everything else so it sounded like the highs were struggling to shine through.

although i am looking for decent bass response since i listen to mostly hip hop, at the same time i love clarity in my music and definitely am not looking for a pair of phones like the v-moda vibes. i am hoping that the defined, clear, and punchiness of the er6i's bass response will be sufficient fo rmy tastes. i also hear that the er6i's, with a good seal, provides much better bass than people are claiming all over the reviews. hopefully that is the case with me. also a big reaosn why i am looking for a clear, revealing sound that is relatively flat is because i also do a little bit of audio engineering and mixing that requires the clarity for more accurate mixes. hope that clears some things up! with that said, should i put my money on the er6i's still?

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 6
The bass from the ER6i are sufficient IMO, but since you're coming from a pair of bass-heavy headphones, you might find it lackluster at best. You'll get use to it though.

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 6
mmmmm.... Maybe the Denon c551's (better than cx300 and Vibes for SQ) might be good for your needs. It has good bass (more with the small buds on at the cost of comfort and isolation) and accurate bass and not boomy crap like the cx300 and the Vibes.

If you're not after bass, the best in the price range IEM wise is the Head-Direct RE2's @ $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back