ETYMOTIC ER6 / ER6i naming chaos
Jul 21, 2007 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

d.phens

100+ Head-Fier
Etymotic naming convention for that model is full o' mess...
I can't tell myself in fact which name is correct, so I'm asking YOU for help!
Thank you very much, I hope that many head-fiers would like to shed some light on that white / transparent intraaural darkness...

Etymotic ER6 ? || Etymotic ER6i ? || Etymotic ER6i Isolator ? || Etymotic ER6 -Isolator ? || Etymotic 6i ? || Etymotic 6i Isolator ? || Etymotic ER6 Isolator ?

I call this type of MESS Purple Haze, even my own school notes are more coherent!

Please tell me which name is correct at least
biggrin.gif

Etymotic uses different conventions for model names stated on specs site and ones PRINTED on the drivers themselves...

As far as I know, there is just ONE difference:
Cable impedance...

"6i" 16 Ohms 108 dB @ 0.1V 50 Hz to 16 kHz
"ER•6" 48 Ohms 97 dB @ 0.1V 20 Hz to 16 kHz

But older 48 Ohm version stating better frequency response for the same tolerance level?

Whatever the names are, we must clarify two things now and for ever:

How many DIFFERENT DRIVERS did etymotic make for those *6* named line of IEMs having the same enclosure shape?

headphone.com's graph database lists only one such model: ER-6
which means that ER-6i was designed a bit later in ER-4P's flavour to make an easier-to-drive IEM version.

Did they use different transducers as well?
Do you think we should ask etymotic staff?

I bet ER-6** sales would improve significantly if they shed some light on the topic...

Well and maybe we should start selling 6i -> 6 adapters as well
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 8
The ER6s was stated to be more accurate. The ER6is is better suited for DAPs due to their higher bass response/lower imp/higher sensitivity rating.

click.

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 8
|| Etymotic ER6i ? || Etymotic ER6i Isolator ? || Etymotic ER6 -Isolator ? || Etymotic 6i ? || Etymotic 6i Isolator ? || Etymotic ER6 Isolator ?
[/QUOTE]
Those ones are all the same phone. The "i" actually stands for isolator. It's not always clear though since they sometimes say er6i isolator. Redundant indeed.

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 8
First there was only the ER6, designed to be the less expensive version of ER4 series but more than good enough to beat the common iBud type of 'phone. It is mainly a business decision for Ety to open up to the large DAP market, where people spend a lots of money on $$$ ipod but use cheap soundiing stock 'phone. However, the Ety designers forgot about one minor detail: First few generations of ipod have very weak output which are very inefficient on driving 'phone with over 32ohms (as in the case of ER6). So users start to complaint to Ety about their dim sounding ER6. In respond, Ety lowers the ER6 impedance to 16ohms (thus making it easier to drive) and equips it with a tri-flange (to improve isolation) - there came ER6i - stand for Isolator (and possibly 'ipod'). ER6i is also known as ER6i Isolator, 6i, ER6 Isolator, etc (with isolator). ER6i is easier to drive, but in exchange it is less natural (<90%) compare to ER6 (>90%). Ety claims that 6i has better bass boost, but there are few who believe it is simply an overall volume increase due to the lower impedance. In addition, most believe ER6 has better response to amping when compare to ER6i.

In conclusion, there are only ER6 (the better sounding but more difficult to drive IEM for headphone amp owner) and ER6i (the market demanded IEM with good sound from a direct source).

Jul 22, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...)
In respond, Ety lowers the ER6 impedance to 16ohms (thus making it easier to drive) and equips it with a tri-flange (to improve isolation) - there came ER6i - stand for Isolator (and possibly 'ipod'). ER6i is also known as ER6i Isolator, 6i, ER6 Isolator, etc (with isolator).
(...)

But that's the point: They started calling both versions as isolators!
"ER6 Isolator" now may mean either ER6 now nicknamed Isolator, too as even their homepage states; or it could be just the ER6i as one would expect...

So it's certain that they are identical except for the impedance.

Important question:
Do you know how those phones were lettered on earpieces?

Actually now it can be pretty difficult finding out what you're buying but I assume that 70% of all ER6* sold (even used) are the ER6i.

Selling the ER6i -> ER6 adaptor (not even for profit) could be a good idea!

Jul 22, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 8
The funniest thing is that their site lists different frequency response for ER6 resp. ER6i although they're identical for sure - they just forgot to say each model's response listed on site was for different volume level (I think +-4 vs. +-8 dB)

Jul 22, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that's the point: They started calling both versions as isolators!
"ER6 Isolator" now may mean either ER6 now nicknamed Isolator, too as even their homepage states; or it could be just the ER6i as one would expect...

So it's certain that they are identical except for the impedance.

I think the term 'Isolator' is their trademark for the noise canceling technology/effect on their phone. I won't be surprise if their nest ER4 series comes out with an 'Isolator' name.

Quote:

Important question:
Do you know how those phones were lettered on earpieces?

On the earpieces, ER6 is marked 'ER6' and ER6i is marked 'ER6i. There is nothing confusing there.

Quote:

The funniest thing is that their site lists different frequency response for ER6 resp. ER6i although they're identical for sure - they just forgot to say each model's response listed on site was for different volume level (I think +-4 vs. +-8 dB)

Actually, they didn't forgot anything. You are referring to their Frequency Response Accuracy, which doesn't contain info about how loud the 'phone should be (only how accurate). To find out how loud it will be, what you should look at is the Sensitivity (@1 kHz; SPL at 0.1V), where ER6 is 97dB and ER6i is 105dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back