Etymotic ER4SR "Assembled in Vietnam"
May 21, 2020 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

member1982

1000+ Head-Fier
Just got the package, i was a bit shocked, as the amazon.com.au page said precision matched and assembled in the USA, the price was a bit cheaper than usual at 287 AUD, but since then has jumped to 397 AUD.
The seller is Amazon AU, so no doubt it should be legit.

i am returning it, as this is probably the same or not the same, i would not know, it has the double flange tips thou (which is improved i guess), and i can't see any reviews on the new versions. Especially for the pricing i am not sure.

a quick search on google, doesn't associate etymotic and vietnam...

Lucid audio has taking over. so that is probably why it appears to be outsourced.

Attachments

• IMG_8157.jpg
    IMG_8157.jpg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8158.jpg
    IMG_8158.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8159.jpg
    IMG_8159.jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8160.jpg
    IMG_8160.jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 47
Lucid audio has taking over. so that is probably why it appears to be outsourced.

Are you a bit over-reacting or perhaps just against Vietnam / out-souring?

In any case, The only IEM model that Etymotic are truly made in the U.S. is the ER4P/S/B series. Even the HF series a decade ago was made in China, plus a few OEM models that Etymotic made for other brands.... and the choice of making the original ER4 in the U.S. probably has more to do with the fact that back in 1991 when ER4 was released, it was much easier and cheaper to made things in the U.S. than it is now - then it is just a fact that all the tooling and equipment already in the US that makes more sense to keep it there since moving factory will be an huge investment. All of the later models were made in China - you knows, world factory and that sort of things. Even early ER4SR/XR that were so called 'made in the US' are more like 'assembled in the U.S. with foreign parts'.

...and yes, out-sourcing happened before Lucid took over, so it is not a Lucid's thing. It is a business thing.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 47
I really hope Etymotic doesn't turn into a historic case of a corporate race to the bottom after going defunct in a few years. They were for a long time the premier brand in portable earphones and have still been for decades one of the top. Really sad to no see, at the very least, a clear communication from them on their website saying they're switching assembly plants.

May 22, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 47
Since this can be considered a new model compared to the old "Assembled in the USA" model that was advertised on Amazon AU. I thought i was getting the USA version with all triple flanges, this isn't exactly the model I was looking for and even if they are the same i wouldn't know without any reviews.

Assembled also mean tested by experienced staff members is what I would mostly associate with. I just want an USA made and tested Balanced Armature IEM that was my aim, since i have a ER2i before, I just want to listen to the ER4SR or XR, since i am going to return this, i would let someone else do the comparison. Sonically is what the reviewers talking about is the Assembled in the USA version, so the version might also be different with the tuning etc, probably not, but like i said i wouldn't know until someone do a comparison.

Just letting the community know about this change, and ask question of the seller if you care about outsourcing. Im sure it would still be excellent.
After i returned this i'll ask around the local shops and pay more money (100-200 AUD more) to get an Assembled in USA version before they disappear.

Nothing against outsourcing really, just need to make sure the sound etc are similar.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 47
Did anyone noticed the misprint? IN THE BOX, it says "Foam, Daul and 3-flange eartips", now i have no idea if this is even genuine (im sure they are), but definitely sloppy. If this is like the first batch of these, i am not that confident if there will be any issues, I understand most supply chain is in Asia anyway.

ER004574-C, this is where the plant probably changed all the original parts comes here, I have seen one for -B in late 2018 in a quick search, and that one still maintains as USA. So they probably do change parts revisions there is no telling anyway.

Another difference seems to be to 30+ dB rather than the advertised 35+ dB noise isolation. Probably because of the inclusion of the Dual Flange tips so nothing out of the ordinary here.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 47
Every pair of ER4SR/XR is measured before packaging, in order to maintain quality control, and thus I don't think you will find any real world difference between US made vs. Vietnam made version of ER4SR/XR. Besides, there is no point of guessing around - I think it will be easier for you just to contact Etymotic and have them clarify the situation.

May 22, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 47
Every pair of ER4SR/XR is measured before packaging, in order to maintain quality control, and thus I don't think you will find any real world difference between US made vs. Vietnam made version of ER4SR/XR. Besides, there is no point of guessing around - I think it will be easier for you just to contact Etymotic and have them clarify the situation.

etymotic been weird lately with customer service :frowning2: we can't rely on generic quality assurance statements or corporate email replies to judge them, just need more recent honest reviews :)

May 22, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 47
Besides, there is no point of guessing around - I think it will be easier for you just to contact Etymotic and have them clarify the situation.
I have send them an email due to the misprint, i need to tell them anyway so they got on top of their QC for the box haha. it can cause confusion for others, or is it only me.
I also asked them for differences as well, but yeah, expecting default responses from the CS / PR team.

Even if i opened this which now i am leaning towards, because the return process for Amazon AU seems to be quiet annoying, it probably is an excellent price that I paid at 287 AUD (now at 390), all the other "possible" prices for the USA -B versions are 540, 599, 649. And if it is sonically exactly the same win-win.

But then i can't do any comparisons or know what i am listening or the differences to the -B version, which creates this doubt.

Also this creates another doubt about Audeze and outsourcing, i was looking for the iSine 10, but there are no stock available in Australia, not sure if they also moved to Asia for the iSine for the eventual arrival of a new shipment.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 47
You'll be fine with them as soon as you come to the realization the we don't make anything of sort in the US anymore. Hell, we cant even feed and cloth ourselves. You obviously haven't been in Walmart lately .If you do go, take a gander in the seafood section.

May 22, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 47
My ER4SR is made in USA. Bought a few years back. I heard they got bought out a couple years ago. Not surprised acquiring company already cutting costs smh.

May 23, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #12 of 47
Mine says assembled in Vietnam. It's perfectly fine. Left and right receivers are almost 100% perfectly matched according to the certificate and they sound great. Get a life! :wink:

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 47
Mine says assembled in Vietnam. It's perfectly fine. Left and right receivers are almost 100% perfectly matched according to the certificate and they sound great. Get a life! :wink:

If may I ask, when / country / shop did you buy it?
also does it have a typo on the box Daul, or did you get the triple flange B version that is Assembled in Vietnam but comes with the triple flange tips.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 47
I recently bought the ER4sr from hifiheadphones in the UK. They were an open box refurb so saved a bit of cash.

They are assembled in Vietnam and come with triple flange tips although only one set of the grey foams. I'm sure when I bought the Er4 a few years ago they came 2 or 3 sets of the grey foams but I may be imagining this.

No issues with build quality etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back