Etymotic ER4p or ER4XR?
May 28, 2018 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Leeco

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have experience with both IEMs?
I tried Googling and looked here on Head-fi, but I can't seem to find if the new XR is a big improvement over the older 4p.
I can get Er4P new for $200 and Er4XR new for $300.
Is the $100 US worth the upgrade?
The 4P come with an adapter that turns them into 4S.
I am going to run them out of portable Fiio DAC.

I would love to hear your opinion if you have experience with both.
Or point me to a comparison I missed...

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 2
I can't tell you about the ER4P, but this is what I can tell you regarding ER4XR

I like quite neutral sound of my PM-3 but I wanted compact stuff even before purchasing it back in 2015.
I purchased 1+2 first, following advice, they hurt my ears, physically and sonocally, I sold them.
Then I got EM32, lots of bass, weird treble, but quite better than the 1+2, but nothing natural to me, worse, no way to make custom molds for my ears.
I saw the old ER4, but the solid cable and plastic structure made me feel bad, so I never tried, even I was very interested in etymotic concept.
So I got the PM-3, loved it, even quite bigger than IEM's.
Then, recently I saw a pair of ER4XR on our french forum.
The guy leaved near my home, I tried them, and purchased them.
I would say a bit more bass than my oppo PM-3, and requiring a very bit more current than the PM-3.
The stage is much narrower, more in head than PM-3, and not as well defined (both on 120II, standart jack, not balanced)
I didn't try to remove small filter for now, I would say there is a very bit of miss regarding trebles, compared to the PM-3, but I think actually no IEM goes to 20KHz properly.
Compared to other IEMS I tried, no ding sound, no weird tweety peak, no strange sound where medium and treble drivers meet, creating a weird sould.
So, even soundstage is not as good as PM-3, I will keep and use my ER4XR, probably upgrade source and cable later (silver balanced cable and WM1A source)
And of course, I will order custom earmold asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back