Etymotic er4 question(s)
Jul 23, 2007 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

elbrickodaviso

100+ Head-Fier
There are many threads about this IEM, including one I made many moons ago, so I apologize for making another one. However, I couldn't really find a definite answer to these questions.

I have weird ear canals, in the sense that my left one is significantly bigger than the other. With my Shure E2C, I used the large orange foam for my left ear and the medium for the right. I see that there are many options for tips for the ER4P/S. The black foam looks like they will be the best, but I'm nervous about not finding a way to fit these things well. Do the IEMs come with multiple sizes for the foam tips?

Also, is it possible to lay with an ear pressed against a pillow while wearing the ER4?

Thanks for reading

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many threads about this IEM, including one I made many moons ago, so I apologize for making another one. However, I couldn't really find a definite answer to these questions.

I have weird ear canals, in the sense that my left one is significantly bigger than the other. With my Shure E2C, I used the large orange foam for my left ear and the medium for the right. I see that there are many options for tips for the ER4P/S. The black foam looks like they will be the best, but I'm nervous about not finding a way to fit these things well. Do the IEMs come with multiple sizes for the foam tips?

Also, is it possible to lay with an ear pressed against a pillow while wearing the ER4?

Thanks for reading

The ER4S I purchased came with 5 pairs of black coloured foam (medium size) and 3 or 4 sets of triflange tips.
Small/large size foams exist also, but you have to order them separately.
When I wear the ER4's the phones protude slightly (a few mm), so I wouldn't lay on a side with them.
But then again, I wouldn't do that with any headphones above the disposable earbuds level, regardless of fit, since I don't want to risk damaging them during my sleep.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 11
I've never fallen asleep while listening to music, weird as that is. It would be all about the comfort of laying on my side with the headphone in place. I used to do that with the Shure E2C that I sold. I sold them due to disliking their sound signature but had I thought about them being a bedside can I may have kept them.

Thanks for your reply. I don't suppose anyone else could compare the size of the foamies that come iwth the ER4 to the orange shures that I'm accustomed to?

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks, I just might get some used later on down the road. Anyone who could compare the tips would be doing me quite a service.
I think the ER4 could teach me a bit about my own hearing, like I would be able to tell the difference in different amps and cables with such a detailed phone so close to the eardrum. My HD650s are certainly wonderful, but they have quite a distinguished and 'full' sound signature that makes it a bit more challenging to isolate how an amp or type of cable is effecting the sound of my rig.
I really want to make the ER4 work for me...they seem to epitomize detail and versatility...it'd be a shame to miss out on something like that especially at their pricepoint!

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 11
Lament NOT! for ER-4 can accept a vast selection of tips - from Shures. Westone etc.

Westone complys has been a popular choice because they are quite comfy and easy to wear, they are smaller too.

The stock Ety foamies are not that big but wearing them could be a hassle for untrained hands.

etysmile.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 11
That is very comforting! I will get them when I can afford them and find a way to make them work
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm even more set if the orange Shure foamies fit on the ER4. I have lots extra of them and they already fit. Do they by chance?

Jul 23, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 11
Stick with Urathane tips - not those black or yellow tips...........my earcanals are the opposite of yours - wanna trade
smily_headphones1.gif
So, I use std Ety foam tip in one and std Comply in the other (std Comply is smaller than Ety). For lying on ones' side or falling asleep - yeah, er-6i because they are soo small and don't stick out..............otherwise, stick with your er4.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 11
I had the same issue. One of my ear canals is shaped differently. I tried the Shure E500 hoping it would work since it doesn't need to go in as far, but I am back with ER4s. The Shure e500 has no treble
tongue.gif

I am still struggling to find the solution but can agree with others here that there are many ways to get a good fit. And each one changes the sound a bit.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #10 of 11
The Shure olives are much more comfortable than the standard grey Ety foamies IMHO. I find both comfortable when inserted properly but the Ety foamies are a bit "sandy" to the feel which sometimes hurts a bit on insertion and they also need to be compressed before insertion whereas the olives just slide right in with no discomfort without compressing them at all.

After having used the olives for a while I went back and tried the Ety foams again but discovered they sounded a bit thin compared to the Shure olives (saying it the other way around would probably mean that the olives are a tad darker than the original Ety fomaies). For everyday use and abuse (which the olives can take a beating and many washes before crumbling to dust in a unforseeable future) I'd take the olives over the original grey ER4 foamies.

I wouldn't try sleeping with them, though, as I'd probably end up popping my ear drum.
blink.gif
They simply protrude too much out of the ear for "sleep use", IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back