Etymotic ER4-PT, Musical Fidelity EB50 comparison?
May 12, 2014 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tovaris

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!
I'm still about to buy my first IEMs ever. I was going to get the ER4-PT, however I've just recently discovered the EB50.
I've read through a lot of threads regarding these two, but couldn't find a comparison. The reason I'm asking this, is because the EB50 got some nice reviews ( whilst the ER4 is obviously a very good one) and been said that is very worth the £150 ( I'm UK based).
But at the moment EB50 is available for £90, while the ER4 is £180. Both are supposed to be flat, neutral sound and BAs which are a
MUST for me.
So to cut it short, is it worth the double price of the ER4 or as my first IEMs will I be happy with the EB50?
Is the ER4 much better? I'd love to see something like if we gave 100% to the ER4 what percentage would the EB50 get?
I'm aware, that this is a U.S. site and the etys U.S. made, whilst the EB50 is UK made, so no patriotism here, please :):):)

May 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 5
I was leaning towards recommending the ER4-PT until I saw the prices - I'm told the EB50 has excellent bass and sounds very nice, but the ER4-PT is the better for detail. Watch that you get a good seal with the Etymotics, though. They're a bit bass light unless you're airtight.

I say go for the EB50s at half the price - however some people have reported fitting problems with them due to their bulky design.

May 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for your answer! My main genre is classical, so I'm not a sub bass fun at all.
Details and accuracy much more important for me. I'm leaning towards Er4 as well, but
the price difference...

May 13, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 5
I'll throw another in..

From what you say, the Earsonics SM1 might be worth investigating (review here) -

http://www.head-fi.org/t/594329/review-earsonics-sm1-viva-la-france

By the way, what are you playing music on? Do you have a dedicated player or are you using your phone for instance?

May 13, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm using my Z1. I've ordered a gr07 mk2. Bigbargainonline selling them on ebay for £59 free delivery at the moment.
That's 99$. I'm starting with these and then probably will move towards the etys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back