Etymotic ER-6i and Denon AH-C551: Very Brief Impressions
Dec 8, 2008 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently decided to buy a pair of ER-6is to go with my new interest in classical music. Now that I have both the ER-6is and my C551s I bought a few months back, I wish I could justify keeping them both. They just complement each other so well! Both are sub-$100 in-ear headphones, with the ER-6is often available for ~$75 (and sometimes $50) and the C551s often available for ~$80 (and sometimes $50). When they're $50, they're definitely steals.

Anyway, the C551s are darker than the famously neutral ER-6is, and pack a very satisfying bass punch. As such, they're great for hiphop, techno/trance, electronica, and certain kinds of rock. My 551s also surprised me with its soundstage, but this was probably due to my expectations of IEMs. I came from CX300, see. And gosh, these things are built tough. The nice thick cables, the metal housing, the glorious case! I'm sure gonna miss these features...and the little plastic thing that allows me to adjust where the cables split.

So, why am I keeping the ER-6is? They're less comfortable for long periods (not that the C551s were that comfy. Indeed, they're prolly comfier only cos I used the medium tips, which didn't fit so well. The large tips would be owie.), they've got a crappy cable, and I got them for a heckuva lot more than the C551s. It's mostly the classical music thing. Comparing the two, the ER-6is really do shine with classical; everything from piano solos to grand orchestral performances. They're more...dynamic, maybe? They're certainly clearer, cleaner than the slightly-veiled C551s. Another plus is the isolation. Boy, do these babies keep sound out.

Verdict: I wish I could keep both headphones, I really do. The C551s were the better buy for me, because I got them cheap and they did the little things right. The metal casing, the thick cable, the little plastic bit, the great case. In comparison, the ER-6is fit better, isolate better, and serve my musical purposes better...but at the cost of the C551's perks.

I'll probably get another pair of IEMs soon. C751s, perhaps, since I liked the C551s.

Edit: More extensive comparisons made for jazz and acoustic guitar, by request.

ER-6i v. C551: Jazz, Acoustic

Jazz
I started with John Coltrane's Love Supreme, Part 1: Acknowledgement. Hands down, the ER-6is win. Compared to the ER-6is, the C551s are veiled and...dare I say it, lifeless. The ER-6is make everything - especially the drums (read: hi-hat and cymbals) - crisper, more detailed, more alive. The C551s also distorted more at high notes of the brass.
On to Diana Krall's rendition of Frim Fram Sauce (from her Very Best Of album). Somewhat surprisingly (to me), given the significant differences playing Coltrane, there differences here were subtle. If the C551s has slightly more forward vocals (or slightly more recessed, or perhaps muffled everything else), it's certainly not by much.
Finally, Bessie's Blues from Chick Corea's Akoustic Band. The ER-6is are back on top, being crisper (the 551s muffled the softer instruments a bit more) and livelier.

Acoustic Guitar
I don't have much that's clearly acoustic, but I started with Jack Johnson's Holes to Heaven (from On and On). On this track, Johnson employs lower guitar notes a lot, and I really missed the 551s bass when I was listening with the ER-6is. So, 551s > ER-6is here.
Next, the obvious choice: The Eagles performing Hotel California from their Very Best Of album. Now, the ER-6is are back on top. The ER-6is kept up better with the faster guitar solos than did the C551s. Again, they were clearer and livelier. Hotel California is not devoid of low notes of course, but I didn't feel like the ER-6is lagged behind the C551s here. Somewhat oddly, vis-a-vis the ER-6i, the C551s sounded muddy when it came to distinguishing between the vocals and the instruments. <shrug>

So, overall: The ER-6i generally outperformed the C551s for both jazz and acoustic guitarish stuff. However, I did miss the C551s great bass response at times. Also, I wonder how much of the sonic improvement of the ER-6i (esp. clarity) just comes from better fit. Perhaps I should have tried smaller tips with the C551s to get deeper, or perhaps I should wait till I get Shure olives for both of these. Will probably have sold the C551s before I get the olives though.

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 13
Cool story Hansel!

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 13
I just bought the IM716 (ER4p) for $90NZD shipped from here iGeneration - Altec Lansing IM716 earphones Top Quality RRP $399 for sale!
biggrin.gif
Should be a good upgrade from my ER6i's.

BTW make sure you get Shure Black Olives for those ER6i's. They really improve the sound and comfort a lot. I recommend discountheadphones.com once the dollar comes back up or headphones.com.au if it doesn't.

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently decided to buy a pair of ER-6is to go with my new interest in classical music. Now that I have both the ER-6is and my C551s I bought a few months back, I wish I could justify keeping them both. They just complement each other so well! Both are sub-$100 in-ear headphones, with the ER-6is often available for ~$75 (and sometimes $50) and the C551s often available for ~$80 (and sometimes $50). When they're $50, they're definitely steals.

Anyway, the C551s are darker than the famously neutral ER-6is, and pack a very satisfying bass punch. As such, they're great for hiphop, techno/trance, electronica, and certain kinds of rock.

The Denon c751's are the trance IEM's IMO.
I got a IM716 as well hehe so I will definitely compare the two and see which one I like more. The Cowon D2 does have a powerful internal amp compared to most DAPs should I should be able to run them properly.
C551's = sweet good bass.
C751's = a definite jump from the c551's.

C751's are great all-rounders although HeadphoneAddict did compare the Nuforce NE-7M ($122 NZ shipped) to the C751's and said that the NE-7M are better than the c751's.

Sigh, another sub $100 earphone to the collection (see profile for more).

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 13
I own similiar pair of headphones - Denon C700 and Altecs IM616. And I must agree with jonathanjong - they both sound great, but they shine at diferent music kinds. Denon are the best for dynamic, punchy music (progressive rock, metal, etc.) while they lack a bit in jazz, classics, vocal <- for this music Altecs are my choice.
And I can't force myself to get rid of any of them
smily_headphones1.gif
...Although, I listen Denons more often.

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 13
Sums it up pretty well:

Quote:

The ER4P are clearer and more detailed than the modded iM716 I owned. The '4P are also more sterile sounding, all instruments are placed at the same point/volume. The iM716 are more musical and warmer than the ER4P, so out of a portable (like an iPod) they might be preferred. If one could count on a powerful equalizer/amp, though, the ER4P/S show all their power and best the Altec.

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 13
@Jonathanjong or anyone who else the etys or altecs and denons (C551/C751)

What about other (generally) acoustic genres like jazz, or ... accoustic (sth like guitar), which sound signature would you prefer to those kind of music?

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 13
Thanks. Nice review and thanks for entertaining my request. Totally exceeded my expectations, I was just expecting something along the lines of a remark.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back