Etymotic ER-4P's, NEW LOOK??
Jan 25, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #121 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by thevelho
Are all the confirmation emails and Ebay data some proofs of purchase?
I did not recieve an invoice in the package.

Thank you for your answers.

PS: This smiley (
etysmile.gif
) has inverted his er4's.

Yes i realised that, someone needs to re-draw that!

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #122 of 186
Ok, just got my retro ER-4P's as a replacement for my all black modern ones (I don't do modern) after these being held in UK customs for a week. I can say the only difference is cosmetic. There is absolutely no difference. Microphonics are identical and sound is identical. Sorry to dissapoint.

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #123 of 186
I like the new look. It mokes them more low profile which appeals to me. An d as long as the sound is the same, I have no problem.

Feb 2, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #124 of 186
er4b sounds the most dynamic,detailed & transparent in er4 family IMO,very lively sound.
Unlike er4s,the bass of 4b is very deep & punchy,vocals are MUCH better,
the sound is very expressive,powerful and musical.

Besides UE10,4b is the only IEM that has the flattest frequecy response curve.
The 5khz-10khz dropping is only a BAD thing to the music expression,HARMONIC IS LESSER,SOUNDS DULL.
look at Grado,they even increase it,not drop it.
(Come on,not only theory,use your ear please.)
& binaural recording is designed for ALL headphones,not "ER4B is designed for B' recording",
the instruction at ety's site is somewhat miss leading here.

With a good solid-state amp,the performance of 4b will surpass many hi-end headphones.
(Brand-new er4b sounds very bright,you will need least 2 weeks to let it break-in.

graphCompare.php

Feb 2, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #125 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by pkshan
er4b sounds the most dynamic,detailed & transparent in er4 family IMO,very lively sound.
Unlike er4s,the bass of 4b is very deep & punchy,vocals are MUCH better,
the sound is very expressive,powerful and muscial.

Besides UE10,4b is the only IEM that has the flattest frequecy response curve.
The 5khz-10khz dropping is only a BAD thing to the music expression,
look at Grado,they even incresse it,not drop it.
(Come on,not only theory,use your ear please.)
& binaural recording is designed for ALL headphones,not "ER4B is designed for B' recording",
the instruction at ety's site is somewhat miss leading here.

With a good solid-state amp,the performance of 4b will surpass many hi-end headphones.

graphCompare.php

You guys don't understand what the curves on Headrooms site mean. They are merely a way to compare diffferent devices and have nothing in common with the response that you hear. There are two standard occluded ear simulators available for measuring insert earphones and similiar devices (hearing aids,etc). Tyll spent a good deal of money, but did not want to spend the ($10-15K or more) extra money for the most accurate coupler device. Something is very wrong with the ER-4S curve shown. My guess is that the filter was missing.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #126 of 186
I just got my ER-4P's back from Etymotic. EXCELLENT customer service by the way. I had a cracked stem right where the filter goes. Since I was sending them in, I inquired about upgrading the cable
very_evil_smiley.gif
They basically sent me a new pair of ER-4P's as they replaced both stems, and the cable. Mine look exactly like the picture at the start of the thread (all black). I like the look
etysmile.gif
But REALLY appreciated the customer service. Don has a top notch staff!!!

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #127 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900
I just got my ER-4P's back from Etymotic. EXCELLENT customer service by the way. I had a cracked stem right where the filter goes. Since I was sending them in, I inquired about upgrading the cable
very_evil_smiley.gif
They basically sent me a new pair of ER-4P's as they replaced both stems, and the cable. Mine look exactly like the picture at the start of the thread (all black). I like the look
etysmile.gif
But REALLY appreciated the customer service. Don has a top notch staff!!!

I agree, their customer service is top notch. I just got my ER-4P's back from them today. I had a muffled right monitor and they ended up replacing both transducers. Still the same cable though, I should have asked them for one of the newer ones
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
Oh well, I'm just happy they work!

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #128 of 186
Yeah... i loves etymotic...
etysmile.gif

May 25, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #129 of 186
Here's a photo of the old and new cable designs side by side (new on the right).

Click for larger version.

Things you might not be able to tell from the photo:
  1. The plug on the new cabling is much less bulky than the old.
  2. It is a bit easier to tell left from right by feel on the new cabling than on the old. (The new cabling has embossed L and R, while the old cabling just had a circle on one side, flat on the other.)
  3. The module plus strain relief is a bit longer on the new cabling. (This is of no concern to most people but bugs me a little since it no longer fits easily into a spooled Shure case.)
  4. The new version has a subtle white stripe on the module-to-transducer cables. (I don't find it to be either a plus or a minus.)
  5. The new module-to-transducer cable feels a bit less flexible than the old. (This may very well just reflect the age of my old unit and how much use it's gotten.)

Overall I like the new look quite a lot. Dignified. Serious. Professional. Goes with a suit.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #131 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by d_wilson
You guys don't understand what the curves on Headrooms site mean. They are merely a way to compare diffferent devices and have nothing in common with the response that you hear. There are two standard occluded ear simulators available for measuring insert earphones and similiar devices (hearing aids,etc). Tyll spent a good deal of money, but did not want to spend the ($10-15K or more) extra money for the most accurate coupler device. Something is very wrong with the ER-4S curve shown. My guess is that the filter was missing.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Thanks for chiming in here. What should the 4S look like? Do you have a more detailed response curve than the one published on your website for us to see? Do the response curves for the 4B and 4P look correct?

May 29, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #132 of 186
Meh. I like the old design better simply because the earpeices are coloured. Blue = left, red = right. No need to look for little markings.

May 29, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #133 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Thanks for chiming in here. What should the 4S look like? Do you have a more detailed response curve than the one published on your website for us to see? Do the response curves for the 4B and 4P look correct?

I remember that someone once posted a graph with the effect of the 75 ohm resistor. He didn't have the equipment required to measure the 4P or the 4S properly, but by comparing the two incorrect graphs he was able to more or less show the FR change.

I'm guessing the ER-4S should be in between the ER-4P and the ER-4B. Since the 4B is supposed to be the brightest it makes no sense why the 4S looks prominently brighter.

May 29, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #134 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by AusTex
A bit off the subject, but does it really matter which earphone goes into your right or left ear and why?

There's no "handedness" to the physical design like there is with Shures or UEs (at least, none that I can discern). So there'd be no problem with putting them in the wrong way except that the music would be reversed left to right.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Meh. I like the old design better simply because the earpeices are coloured. Blue = left, red = right. No need to look for little markings.

But (for what it's worth) the new design does make it easier to tell the sides apart by feel. I actually like that better even though it comes at the expense of visual differentiation, but I can see why not everyone would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back