Etymotic ER-4P giveaway. Pick a cover song.
Mar 25, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #31 of 83
I listened to all of the songs and think she has a very good voice but would like to hear her try some different tempo songs or try to do put a different spin on another song, so how about something like:

Bat for lashes _ What's a girl to do? YouTube - Bat For Lashes - Whats a Girl To Do a slightly more leftfield song with a good narrative.

Ladyhawke - My delerium YouTube - Ladyhawke - My Delirium A much more upbeat song which could prove tricky but entertaining?

Rhianna - Umbrella YouTube - rhianna - umbrella How about a stripped back accoustic version could be a hit - a leftfield option.

or in keeping with her other songs how about:

Katheryn Williams - Jasmine hoop YouTube - Kathryn Williams - Jasmine Hoop A gorgeous song with real feeling that may work quite well

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #32 of 83
If only I could sing.
frown.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #33 of 83
I like Era's voice, it has a very nice bassy quality and depth to it. I agree, time to move away from the Kelly Clarkson covers, not that Kelly is bad, but too much of a good thing can be to much sometimes. She really does have a lovely voice.

My choice of cover would be "Life on Mars" by David Bowie, it is a little bit more uptempo than Era's usual ballad covers. Era will be able to show off her vocal range, plus it would be fantastic to see a good cover of this song by a singer with more bass to their voice than David.

also worth considering- "Deep Red Bells" by Neko Case, another great singer, and one of my favourite songs. Another tester for the vocal range, and again, it would be great to hear another great song covered by a very capable singer without Neko's country twang (i love Neko Case, but i would be very interested in hearing Era cover this song) Oh yeah, how could i forget this Neko Case gem- "Maybe Sparrow" - another beauty, plus she could have some guitar accompaniment.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #34 of 83
My vote for Era's next cover song is "Lucky" by Jason Mraz feat. Colbie Caillat

After viewing Era's youtube cover songs, it seems Era does very well with steady paced songs that concentrate on vocals (her strongpoint). Also, it seems that she likes present-day mainstream pop artists (kelly clarkson, katy perry, pink) So... I think the perfect song that has both these characteristics is "Lucky." Plus, I think the song will be easy enough to play for the guy playing the piano in the back (is that you Sleestack?
biggrin.gif
)

Here is a link to "Lucky" on youtube WITH lyrics!! I believe that deserves bonus points haha. YouTube - Jason Mraz feat Colbie Caillat Lucky lyrics

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #36 of 83
I like "Colorblind" by Counting Crows. It'd be good because I think she can translate a lot of emotion into her singing, and focus that into the more sparse lyrics.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #37 of 83
I watched/listened to all of her videos. Wow. She has an amazing voice!

After throwing around a few songs that I though she could perform extremely well ("Hands" and "Deep Water" by Jewel, "Last Day of My Life" by Phil Vassar, and "My Best Friend" by Tim McGraw) I settled on...

"I Would Do Anything For Love" by Meat Loaf

Her vocal range would work perfectly with this song. And she can do male vocals very well - low and smooth, though the softness of her voice makes it all that much better than male vocals. Besides that, I love the emotion that I hear in her voice - it got me very involved when I was listening to her singing.

When she sings "Make You Feel My Love" it makes you want to just stop everything and just enjoy listening to her. She can really suck you into a song. That would work perfectly with this song.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #38 of 83
After watching the two groups I think a Lacuna Coil song would be an amazing cover to do and if pulled off correctly would highlight just how talented she is.
Our Truth - Lacuna Coil

An Evanescence song would also bring out the power and smoothness in her voice, such an emotionally evocative genre such as those formed from female led 'metal' bands could really bring Era over into a new level of delivering her lyrics and performing to affect and position the audience.

Picks from Evanescence: Everybody's fool or Going Under

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #40 of 83
BLUE - Mai Yamane

Would suit those velvety tones very nicely. Though I don't feel its the kind of song that scales down well - that choir at the start makes it imo.

And for something more different-

The Eraser - Thom Yorke

Lovely chorus, nice and intimate. I can actually imagine it being sung in her style - give it a go.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #41 of 83
[size=xx-small]A different "I Still Believe"[/size]

After viewing/listening to the vids, I suggest a different "I Still Believe" by Mariah Carey or by Brenda K. Starr before her.

Era has the combination of range, power, & sweetness to pull it off.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #42 of 83
Era is AMAZING!

Man what a surprise I got when I clicked on the videos. I like the choices of covers that you guys did already too - not too too mainstreamish (at least not too many billboard singles).

I think Eva Cassidy's Songbird would fit very well with Era's combined sweetness in tone and power. There are few hobbyist singers I know that can pull off the balance - but Era does it nicely! In this song, there are long drawn out, smooth and sweet notes or crooning notes that Era is very good at - and these notes would really let her ability to carry tunes shine. Songbird also has some bursts of power, that will let her belt emotion and offer the listener opportunites to be moved by the song. This is a great song with great balance, sweetness, emotion, and very importantly - purity and simplicity. A song like this sung with meaning and and earnest can be truly moving, and fill your heart with warmth. If I had a nice voice I would sing it all day haha. It can be sung very raw to display her talents and sincerity =).

Enjoy the song, even if you don't pick it! Keep up the good works guys!

YouTube - Eva Cassidy-Songbird

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #43 of 83
I think she should cover "Ageless Beauty" by Stars.

It would suit her perfectly because the song requires a lot of rolled and extended vocals where each word is elongated and almost trails off, which she would be perfect for because as you said, her voice is smoooooooth. In the Kelly Clarkson songs like "Cry" she is singing concise and tight lyrics, which is obviously fine and shows her voice off well, but the elongated vocals in this song will allow her to show she can adjust to the melody and manipulate her voice to a new range and style. It doesn't require her to hit some super high notes, but I think she's already showed that with "If No One Will Listen" and others, and the song still allows her to show off a bit.
wink.gif

Also, the song/band is out of the main stream for the most part (I believe they are currently on the Arts and Crafts label) which could move her away from the American Idol pigeonhole and give more attention to her voice rather than the song itself. And yet, the song is catchy enough to keep listeners hooked even if they are not familiar with it.

Anyway, here's a youtube of the song- YouTube - Stars - Ageless Beauty (HIGH QUALITY)

Good luck to her, she's got a great voice.

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #44 of 83
Thanks for the thoughtful responses everyone. Contest is over and I'll announce the winner shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back