Etymotic ER-4P giveaway. Pick a cover song.
Mar 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

Sleestack

Headphoneus Supremus
Mar 15, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 83
Oh man I need to think of something...

Forsaken by Dream Theater
The song is very melodramatic and really has a great set-up to show off a nice set of pipes. It's a nice chance to belt out. Plus, while this isn't exactly "hardcore", it will immediately distinguish her from the Kelly Clarkson/American Idol crowd. It'd also be interesting to see what she sounds like with a bit more of an edge in her voice... or on the other hand what this song sounds like without the edge. I was considering Ministry of Lost Souls as well, but decided that this gets pretty much the same vocal performance in 1/3 of the time.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 83
I watched the first two from Group A (like you said), and then "I Don't Believe You" and "Make You Feel My Love" from Group B.

Here's the thing: she's got talent, and a lot of it, but if she wants to make a career out of this, then she needs to start distancing herself from inevitable comparisons. If she covers another Kelly Clarkson song, or a song from another American Idol star, then I think it will be hard for people to see her as anything more than American Idol material. If she covers Kelly Clarkson, people will compare her to Kelly Clarkson. This shouldn't happen, in my opinion, because it will be hard for her to stand out on her own.

On the way to writing her own songs, it will be good to continue doing covers, but I think that at this point she should start branching out from the typical "great young female voice genre", so that she doesn't become type-casted and pigeon-holed into that genre before it's too late. This is why I was particularly interested in listening to the Dylan cover, to see what she could do with it. It was good.

...so...

I was going to say "Your Song", by Elton John, but I decided against it, since there might be too many people who might look down on her singing it, since it's sort of been unofficially retired since he performed it at Diana's funeral. Instead, I'll say "Landslide", by Fleetwood Mac. Given that Stevie Nick's voice is sort of raspy, while Era's is very smooth, there is enough difference that immediate comparisons wouldn't be drawn, but people would appreciate Era's voice more for what it is, and how she might be able to transform the well-known song. Also, the vocal range is very similar to what it seems Era has fun performing with, which would further allow her to "make it her own", and stand out in that way, without even knowing she's doing it.

So, I guess that would be my suggestion. At this point, she should probably think about starting to distance herself from the American Idol stars, and find a song that will allow her unique voice to be heard and appreciated, and I think "Landslide" will give her that opportunity.

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who is she? She sounds pretty good but the low quality sound makes it a bit difficult to really judge critically. I'm not playing but good luck to all.

I would expect that from a head-fi'er.
o2smile.gif
As far as YouTube goes, SQ is pretty good, but recording straight into the Clavinova does have its limitations. Listen to the HD version. Higher bitrate.

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 83
I like the new videos - I saw some of your prior posts about Era's videos and the new recordings are a step up in both performance and in the video quality.

TopPop has some good thoughts there.

I would go classic as well, but I think Carole King's Tapestry ablum music would be a good fit. It definitely fits your format of solo vocals with piano well since King played the piano while singing. You have a few good options on that album. I'd lean towards "You've got a Friend", but if you want more energy, you can got for "I feel the Earth Move". There's also "Natural Woman", but it's a risk to draw comparisons between yourself and Aretha (who most people think of singing the song).

The other classic that came to mind was Joni Mitchell's Jericho, but more along the lines of KD Lang's cover for Hymns of the 49th Parallel (great album BTW). You might check out the other tracks on Hymns of the 49th Parallel for more ideas on songs like Leonard Cohen's "Bird on a Wire"

Of course, the tracks above don't exactly fit into your prior selections of songs with power vocal moments. A genre-crossing option with power moments would be Martina McBride either "Broken Wing" or "Concrete Angel". They provide some opportunities to belt out a bit. While it's a steep comparison for country fans (McBride has a great power voice), most people don't know the originals well.

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 83
All of the ones you've posted have similar tempos and moods, and it seems to fit her voice very well.

My suggestion: Adia by Sarah McLachlan.

It's slightly more upbeat than the ones that you posted, and has a less traditional melody with interesting falsetto switches. It's got plenty of opportunities for really wailing, which it seems Era is really talented at.

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 83
I don't think i'll be entering, but just a quick word to say I've chatted a little with sleestack and he is a great guy (with nice cars too!)

He also sent out the Tomahawk fast, and even paid for the (faster) international shipping out of his own pocket, which I didn't expect! Thanks alot
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 83
I listened to Make You Feel My Love and Lost from Group B.

I've always wanted to hear her sing Unforgettable by Nat King Cole. It just seems right for her to sing it because she has a smooth and inviting voice. I don't really want to add more, but if you think this is too short a reason I'll add more.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just seems right for her to sing it because she has a smooth and inviting voice. I don't really want to add more, but if you think this is too short a reason I'll add more.

There is no required length or level of detail for the explanation. Thanks.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 83
She's got a very good voice. Not to knock the piano accompaniment, but adding some more instruments might make the entire presentation more exciting and show off her dynamism.

In the meantime, I suggest Imagine by John Lennon. It's simple, sweet, has space for vocal acrobatics if desired, and it's a bloody important song.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
She's got a very good voice. Not to knock the piano accompaniment, but adding some more instruments might make the entire presentation more exciting and show off her dynamism.

You can knock my piano.... I would take no offense. I stopped playing for 15 years and really started again just to help her with her practice and make home videos. I'm playing everything off chords or by ear so the arrangements aren't always so exciting. She refuses to do covers Karaoke style like most YouTubers, so I'm just trying to not get in the way. I have heard her sing Think by Aretha with a full funk band and it was amazing.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 83
i have just spent an hour trawling though my 80s music collection to try to find a song that would really work. i have decided on ''She's in parties" by Bauhaus.
the vocals are dynamic, slightly on the slow side which would work well for Era's style and the music could be translated in an interesting way for the instrumental side. The song itself is a departure from the vocal music Era has already covered and would present a new challenge.

Plus i would love to hear a a vocal cover version.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 83
Quiet a voice even though it is a bit hard to judge over youtube.

Group A: I liked Already Gone a bit more, to be honest I don't really know why I prefer it to the other maybe it is because it is more slow and you get to hear how she controls the low end better.

Group B: Definitely the Bob Dylan cover, really shows how airy her vocals can be.

I think she should wrestle Clocks by Coldplay, because it has a lot of different interesting parts in it where she can show us all how much width her voice has in just one song. It is quite a bit away from what she has already covered, how knows it might be fun and rewarding.

Best wishes,
Frederik

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have just spent an hour trawling though my 80s music collection to try to find a song that would really work. i have decided on ''She's in parties" by Bauhaus.

One of my favorite bands as a teen. Nice. Era wasn't even on this planet back then, but she is open to exploring all sorts of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back