Etymotic ER-4 Questions
Jun 10, 2008 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Pantocrator

Head-Fier
I've tried searching, but not a lot of answers.
I would like to buy these soon, but I am confused about the differences between models. Right now I am looking to buy the S model.
I have heard you can modify the IEMs so that they could switch between the S and P variants, is this true?
I've heard the P does not require and amp, but the S does, is this true? I want the best sound quality possible, but I do not want to have to use an amp on these, only on the headphones I am looking at.

Jun 10, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 7
You didn't look hard enough.

The only difference is the higher impedance the cable on the S model provides. You can change a P to an S with an P->S adapter or cable, but there is no reversing an S to a P unless you swap the cable. They are not user-switchable. If you don't want to use an amp, use P. S requires an amp.

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks! So there is no difference between buying an S and buying a P then converting it? I'll buy the P then, so I can get basically two versions, one for ultraportable use and one for semiportable use but better sound quality.

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantocrator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! So there is no difference between buying an S and buying a P then converting it? I'll buy the P then, so I can get basically two versions, one for ultraportable use and one for semiportable use but better sound quality.

Exactly. The only downside is the small extra run of cable + weight of connector when using in S mode.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 7
The P is also good if you eventually get one of the amps with a p to s switch, then you still have the p for unamped and get a s without uding the converter cable/plug

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 7
Does either the Predator or the 2move have one of those switches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back