Etymotic Ear Tip Options
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #33 of 46
I just got the SpinFit CP240 for my ER2XR and quite like them. The sound has remained unaltered (as far as I can judge) but the fit is much more comfortable and the seal is just as good for me as the stock tips. I think the improved comfort is due to the softer silicone that the SpinFits have.

IMG_20230128_200013.jpg

Aug 4, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #35 of 46
If not using the Etymotic tips, these Shure tips are my favorite for single flange tips. I use a much smaller size than usual, and still insert it somewhat deep. I just wish they came in a multi-size pack instead of a bunch of the same size.

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-EASFX1-10M-Sleeves-Included-Earphones/dp/B0024N8GAW
I realize this thread is old, but I ordered the Shure EASFX1's in a medium (the same size as my Olives), and seemed to get a "pressure seal" when I tried them just now. Did you experience anything like this? Is there a fix? The tips are extremely comfortable (much more so than the olives), but if I can't hear anything, it's obviously a dealbreaker for me.

Aug 4, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #36 of 46
I just got the SpinFit CP240 for my ER2XR and quite like them. The sound has remained unaltered (as far as I can judge) but the fit is much more comfortable and the seal is just as good for me as the stock tips. I think the improved comfort is due to the softer silicone that the SpinFits have.

IMG_20230128_200013.jpg
Do you need an nozzle size adapter to make use of the CP240?

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #38 of 46

Which size of spinfit cp240 is equal to etymotic triple flange small?
Do they change sound signature?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #39 of 46
I’m a fan of Etymotic IEMs, and actually like the deep insertion and great isolation for certain occasions, but the deep insertion is by far the biggest issue most people have with them. Plus, sometimes you just don’t want so much isolation. I’ve been exploring different ear tip options that don’t require you to stick the IEM into your brain. I have a few to share, and anyone else with ideas, please share them with us as well. In general, ear tips for IEMs with narrow nozzles will likely fit the Etymotics. Brands such as Shure and Westone are probably the most widely available. I know Comply makes foam tips specifically for these IEMs as well.

This is a comparison between the Klipsch single BA IEM X10i vs the Etymotic ER2XR. The Klipsch ear tips do fit the Etymotic, but the stem is much longer on the Etymotic, and the Klipsch tips just cover the end of the nozzle, so it’s not as secure, but it works, and the Klipsch ear tips seal really well. The Etymotics will stick out of your ear canal quite a bit with this combo though.

687F9019-1459-463D-8164-0AF1E06E932E.jpeg

This is what the Klipsch ear tip looks like on the Etymotic. The Shure Olives (foam tips) also fit the Etymotic, and cover most of the nozzle. With the Shure tips, the IEM doesn’t stick out of your ear as much. The fit and seal with the foamies are really good.

FE2497CD-91DA-4B1E-83D1-463EF9B132F2.jpeg

This is the Klipsch ear tip and the rubber (I think) Shure tip. These Shure tips fit the IEM better than than the foamies, in that they fully cover the nozzle. They also seal well. It may be beneficial to use a smaller size tip and insert the IEM a little bit deeper for a really good seal.

392109B0-6D4F-4569-8137-5B727B0471CB.jpeg1F1D4D6B-4EA7-4DDA-996D-E71534FC781A.jpeg

This is the Final Audio Type E tip with an adapter for Shure/Westone IEMs. It also works with Etymotic IEMs.

216F4F7D-F8B3-48D1-A28F-0EC78E6D857F.jpegCA89EA53-CF12-4158-B5E0-97D22AE947CC.jpeg

When using the Final Type E tips, the end of the Etymotic’s nozzle is right up to the opening of the ear tip.

687E5284-0635-4944-8AD6-B47EA977FAA8.jpeg

Of course, as with all IEMs, changing the ear tip changes the sound, and experimentation is necessary. In general, I find using the single flange tips make the overall sound a little bit brighter, likely due to the tip of the IEM nozzle being closer to the opening of the ear tip. Also, many ear tips have wider bores than the really narrow bores of the Etymotic tips. Because the insertion is much more shallow with these other tips, I find the sound stage to be a bit wider, and the music doesn’t sound like it’s in the middle of your head as much. For really critical listening, such as using the ER4SR for mastering recordings, I’d recommend using the Etymotic tips, for accuracy.

What other ideas do you have?
Which ones sound close to etymotic triple flange eartips?

Sep 21, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #40 of 46
Sep 22, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #41 of 46
The Shure "Olive" foam tips are the best for me, giving a superior seal and therefore best sound. They do NOT require the subcutaneous depth in the ear canal to get a seal, which is the only way to get any decent bass response from the Etys.

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-EABKF1-10M-Sleeves-Included-Earphones/dp/B0015PN3W6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=shure+olive&qid=1695321816&sr=8-1&th=1
Does these change the sound? If so, how?
I find the sound with the grey foam tips that comes with the Etymotic ER4 brighter.
I also heard that the comply P-Series foam tips sounds brighter.

Sep 22, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #42 of 46
I think you could say the foam tips "change" the sound both in the bass and treble, but NOT because of material of the tips themselves, but because they give a superior seal, so your perception of the music is cleaner. That has been my experience with foam tips on many IEMs, and foam tips is pretty much all I use on all my IEMs.

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #44 of 46

IMG_20230128_200013.jpg
Hi! I know this is an old one, but I'm interested in the adapter you're using between the dongle and the phone. Is it a USB-C to USB-Micro B type adapter?
If so, can you point me to where I could buy one?
Thanks!

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #45 of 46
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back