Etymotic Ear Tip Options
Nov 21, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #16 of 46
Does someone know a nozzle adapter that is available on Aliexpress? I know the Final Audio Type E pack you get an adapter but I already have these tips from E3000 so I'd like just the adapter. Thanks!
It‘s not nearly as clean a solution, but you can cut narrow strips of tape (micropore paper tape (best), masking tape, electrical tape (messy residue); but not common cellophane Scotch tape) and wrap it around the nozzle tightly, then put the ear tips on.

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #17 of 46
It‘s not nearly as clean a solution, but you can cut narrow strips of tape (micropore paper tape (best), masking tape, electrical tape (messy residue); but not common cellophane Scotch tape) and wrap it around the nozzle tightly, then put the ear tips on.

Thank you for the suggestion! I've tried that and unfortunately, the tape gets very messy after I take the IEM off 2-3x, it's not the ideal solution for the long run. Well, in any case, I'll try the CP800, Westone Star tips, and some from Shure. :)

Nov 21, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 46
Thank you for the suggestion! I've tried that and unfortunately, the tape gets very messy after I take the IEM off 2-3x, it's not the ideal solution for the long run. Well, in any case, I'll try the CP800, Westone Star tips, and some from Shure. :)
My recommendation would be to try the Shure and Westone tips first. I don’t really like the CP800 on the Etymotic IEMs specifically, because of the SpinFit “hinge”. It makes the tip longer and wobbly, and the Etymotic uses a straight insertion. Just my opinion though.

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #19 of 46
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #20 of 46
If not using the Etymotic tips, these Shure tips are my favorite for single flange tips. I use a much smaller size than usual, and still insert it somewhat deep. I just wish they came in a multi-size pack instead of a bunch of the same size.

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-EASFX1-10M-Sleeves-Included-Earphones/dp/B0024N8GAW

Much appreciated! Out of curiosity, would you say the M size is equivalent to the Final type E size? Usually, I wear M sizes without any issue but for deep insertion, I end up using the S size depending on the tip (e.g. AZLA Sedna and Sony Hybrids) so dunno if I should go with M or S.

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #21 of 46
Much appreciated! Out of curiosity, would you say the M size is equivalent to the Final type E size? Usually, I wear M sizes without any issue but for deep insertion, I end up using the S size depending on the tip (e.g. AZLA Sedna and Sony Hybrids) so dunno if I should go with M or S.
I think the Shure ear tips should fit very similar to the Final E tips. So if you want a deep insertion, get the small size.

May 18, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #23 of 46
For almost 10 years, with my old (RIP) ER4P, I used the gray 3-flange tips with the deep insertion. Then about a year ago, just before my ER4P died, I switched to the Shure EABKF1 small foam tips with the wax guard. They are so much more comfortable, and no long nozzle to get pinched down in my ear canal. My ear canals are small and I get the best isolation with them.

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #24 of 46
For almost 10 years, with my old (RIP) ER4P, I used the gray 3-flange tips with the deep insertion. Then about a year ago, just before my ER4P died, I switched to the Shure EABKF1 small foam tips with the wax guard. They are so much more comfortable, and no long nozzle to get pinched down in my ear canal. My ear canals are small and I get the best isolation with them.

Isn’t the core of those made out of hard plastic? Aren’t you damaging the thin nozzle of the etys?

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #25 of 46
Isn’t the core of those made out of hard plastic? Aren’t you damaging the thin nozzle of the etys?
Yes, there is a plastic core, and yes it is fairly firm, and they fit tight on the Ety nozzle (ER4XR). When I pull them off or put them on, I have to be sure to pinch the foamy part and carefully rotate them back and forth off / on. If you are patient, it's not a problem, and the ER4XR nozzle is metal anyway so it won't snap off.

Feb 22, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #27 of 46
Commenting on tip options for the ER2 series, I'm getting the best seal from the Spinfit CP100 (Extra Small size) with nozzle adapters from Azla eartips. I happened to have these adapters that came with SednaEarFit tips, so I put them on backwards (on purpose) on my ER2SE. That thick part is a little too large for the CP100 tips, but the thin part fits like a glove. Bass goes all the way down to 20 Hz with this setup, lower treble around 6kHz is a bit much but using EQ it is perfect. Bigger soundstage than stock eartips too. I kind of want to experiment with those Final Audio red adapters, as they look thinner.

IMG_1300.jpg

May 19, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #28 of 46
This is essentially off the 'review' I posted on my favorite web-store posted today 2022-05-19...

Cleverly . . . I bought a package of the ‘blue’ shortly after the purchase of my first Etymotic IEMs. Then that package got got lost in the shuffle and two moves.
( in 2012 these are a HF5 purchase )
I love Etymotic IEMs
I have upgraded 4 times over the last — 12 years?
Yesterday I found the Radians ( this is a DIY fitted kit for hearing protection ) package while digging for something else. Naturally this was an ‘Aha!’ moment.
Almost immediately — a decade later — I mixed two blobs and shoved them into my ears.
About 40 minutes later I was carving out a chamber or passage for my ER4SRs.
This was done with a barrel, rather than hex-shaped, Bic pen that had a nail-file tapered bevel around the leading edge -- after the initial hardening -- pushed in about 3/4 of the thickness for my particular ears -- and cleared out with tiny pliers. I poked a mini phillips-head into the last 1/4 of the passage to fit the Etymotics.

- I MUST CAUTION... Thoroughly clean your ears & then wipe the exterior pars with rubbing alcohol. NOW - clean the cheez-whiz out of your hands and fingers! From other comments I infer that this was not done, and so the debris and oils on the user's hands ruined the mix.

Brilliant, and changes the vestibular response of my hearing to a more flat subjective perception in-so-far as the EQ I use with various source devices for playback. By which I mean that the subjective EQ is brighter, less 'boomy', and a bit less loud. Adjustments made to the EQ now reveal much improved acoustic soundstage, depth, and presence with improved definition at the very high and very low ends of the spectrum.
As anyone might expect, this completely eliminates any pressure felt within the ear canal — so common with foam or silicone sealing devices such as the many I have happily lived with for years.

--end of posted review--

What I liked best about the Etymotic effect was the injection of sound into my skull. For an intimate boom-effect there is little that can compare provided that your flanges seal right.
I like the neutral tone and moving-mass bass effect of my NAD Viso for casual listening or watching movies.
I like the delicacy and soundstage of several Sennheiser models...
...but I always come home to Etymotic.
Retired, I have extended hours by immerse myself in my audio library. Having tried others, I find that one might equal -- but you will not beat Etymotic.
Frequent arguments with other, younger, audiophiles revolve around in-room/in-theater/in-ear equalization.
The exceptions being rare, almost all music is engineered by fans and supporters, or musicians with banged up ears. Others producers are tight-focused on specific markets/media/venues or other short range considerations.
I take as a good benchmark a very few artists/recordings/performances as rising to the "I don't have to tweek this" adjustment standard; All of Steely Dan after 1976, Joni Mitchell after 1976, Return to Forever after 1976, various Chick Corea 'Trio' performance captures, & in particular the Kansas City Orchestra HD recording of
Saint-Saens: Symphony No. 3 "Organ" | Kansas City Symphony, Jan Kraybill, Kansas City Symphony, Michael Stern captured by Keith O. Johnson (engineer).

Knowing all these works very well ( I have worn out two 33rpm disks of DSOTM ) and extensive A-B reviewing various configurations, what I have discovered is that HD past 24/96_32 shows much that is right and wrong with many recordings -- via Etymotic IEMs, which are ruthlessly precise.

Yesterdays re-discovery of DIY-fitting my hardware to my ears was a revelation. I conjecture that the silicone flange material was providing a compromise fit and modifying the frequency response.
Even the foam-tips had an effect on the music.
My isolation is still quite good with the DIY form-fitting mounts for the ER4SR but the availability of improved vestibular resonance has revealed a stunning sound stage with spooky clarity. Sitting on the porch indulging in nicotine while listening to live jazz had me turning my head to see what I was hearing just to find nothing there.

I took pains to ensure an extensive, good fit to the auricle of my ears that did not extend deeply into the ear-canal. I had previously observed that I show sensitivity spikes around 120hz, 4.2k, and at 7.7k to 8.5K.
Working with various fit alternatives of standard tips showed my that the workings of the canal play an important part in the apparent soundstage of cans vs plugs.

It seems clear to me that any of you interested might well find improved performance for a pittance with such an effort.

I am a very long-time lurker and reader of head-fi pages. My audiophool history begins with my father making HeathKit mono valve-state "Hi-Fi" components on the dinner table around 1959.
By 1975 I am making custom enclosures for speakers and saving up for Macintosh components.
By 1978 I had purchased my first set of STAX Earspeakers.
At one point the system weight not including any speakers, tapes, or stamped disks was several hundred pounds and could heat a moderate living room on a cool evening -- even though it was all solid state apart from the actual tape-media and the 33-rpm disk media.
I dabbled in sound production and performance capture. Directed the construction of a closed-circuit-radio studio in 1981 -- there's a story...
Got thrashed in the crunch of '07-'08. Re-made myself in 2010 and started all over in 2011 buying stuff.
I converted to the Digital church at that time.
My personal listening system now fits in a small satchel and weighs less than 30 pounds -- about 7500 individual musical works -- 3 sets of cans -- 4 sets of Etys in almost daily use -- my forth level-up DAC. My preferred software for playback is Fidelia via laptop and EQu via iPhone, VLC as a check on the system, and Amadeus Pro with and collection of plug-ins for re-mastering. iTunes/Music is just so deplorable in so many ways...

Jun 2, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #29 of 46
Anyone have suggestions for noise blocking tips that work as well or better as the as the standard Ety foams? I picked up some ER2XRs, mostly for the noise blocking qualities and sadly find the foam tips a bit uncomfortable due to their rough texture.

I'd be interested in any recommendations for highly noise blocking tips in general for standard IEMS. I Have symbios and complys but i'd probably prefer something that works more like a normal foam ear plugs and gets up to 30+DB attenuation.

On another note mine suffer from bad mmcx connections and will be going back for an exchange set.

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #30 of 46
Anyone have suggestions for noise blocking tips that work as well or better as the as the standard Ety foams? I picked up some ER2XRs, mostly for the noise blocking qualities and sadly find the foam tips a bit uncomfortable due to their rough texture.

I'd be interested in any recommendations for highly noise blocking tips in general for standard IEMS. I Have symbios and complys but i'd probably prefer something that works more like a normal foam ear plugs and gets up to 30+DB attenuation.

On another note mine suffer from bad mmcx connections and will be going back for an exchange set.
There are the yellow Shure foams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back