Etymotic & Westone - Discussion & Impressions (index in 1st post)
Jun 7, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #107 of 408
has the space at the EVO improved? The sound stage (especially the depth) has always been a weak point of Etymotic.

In my (and other people's) experience, the by far most important contributor to perceived soundstage size when it comes to in-ears is the frequency response, and a flat tuning as most of Etymotic's in-ears have will simply result in a perceived "intimate"/"small"/"circular" soundstage whereas elevations and/or recessions in specific areas result in a different perception such as "wider"/"deeper"/"less intimate". That's also why among all of Etymotic's single-driver in-ears, the ER2XR have the "largest" perceived soundstage size since they deviate more from a flat neutral tuning (especially in the sub-bass) than the other models. Therefore, I would assume the EVO to be heading into an about similar-ish direction as the other Etymotic models, perhaps being a bit closer to the ER2XRs' soundstage presentation.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #108 of 408
Hi @Zachik. Just curious when you said you work with Etymotic did you mean you actually work for the company or is it like a volunteer partnership thing? 🙂
I am not an Etymotic employee, but I am not volunteering either.
I was trying to be very honest and upfront about it. In fact, I added a comment about it at the beginning of my EVO impressions letting the readers know and make their informed decision of whether or not to continue reading.
My reputation in general, and in this wonderful community in particular, is very important to me. I will not "sell out" my integrity for Etymotic or any other company!

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #109 of 408
I am not an Etymotic employee, but I am not volunteering either.
I was trying to be very honest and upfront about it. In fact, I added a comment about it at the beginning of my EVO impressions letting the readers know and make their informed decision of whether or not to continue reading.
My reputation in general, and in this wonderful community in particular, is very important to me. I will not "sell out" my integrity for Etymotic or any other company!
Nice. How about I give you a million bucks and you give me your soul? :p

Thanks for sharing your impressions, I am curious how it stacks up to my ER4XR.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #110 of 408
Etymotion BT – impressions:

Let me start with a caveat that I am now working with Etymotic, and the Etymotion BT was provided to me by Etymotic. That said, my personal integrity and reputation are very important to me, and I am sharing my honest opinions! Those who might think that my impressions are biased and only serve as “infomercial” for Etymotic are welcome to stop reading...

OK, let’s get started! :)

Etymotion BT is not as well known as the Etymotic ER2/3/4 IEMs. It is Etymotic’s Bluetooth “cable” which includes a BT receiver, DAC and amp. The MMCX connectors will be used to attach your favorite ER2/3/4 IEMs. Here is the Etymotion with my ER3SE attached:

1623623593432.png

As can be seen in the photo above, the main “box” includes the battery, circuit board (with the BT receiver, DAC and amp) and the micro USB charging port. A remote or controller with microphone is located close to the right IEM, and includes 3 buttons to control volume and playback.

Let’s start with some specs first:
  • Bluetooth chipset: Qualcomm Bluetooth 5.0 chip
  • Codecs supported: AptX and AptX HD up to 24 bit/48khz
  • DAC & Amp: AKM AK4331 chip with Velvet Sound Technology
  • DAC: 32-bit (limited by AptX HD to 24bit/48Khz)
  • Amp output power: 70mW @ 8 Ohm
  • AK4331 datasheet (for the curious souls): https://velvetsound.akm.com/content...udio-dac/ak4331ecb/ak4331ecb-en-datasheet.pdf
  • Battery life: Etymotic claims 8 hours. I did not perform battery life tests, so cannot confirm or dispute that number.

Package & Accessories:
The Etymotion comes in a package not unlike ER2/3/4 IEMs. Simple, nothing fancy, and includes the following accessories:

1623623855653.png

The zippered case is the same used for the ER2/3/4 IEMs. The 2 included shirt clips are used to prevent the main module from flapping and bouncing around (see the 2 diagrams in the next section). Included are also a micro-USB cable for charging, and the printed user’s manual. You will not get a Funko Pop hockey player... :wink:

Build Quality, Look & Feel, Fit and Comfort:
Unlike the ER2/3/4 (and EVO) IEMs – the Etymotion body or main module (as well as the remote/controller) is made of plastic. That helps reducing the weight, but it does feel less premium. The recommended way to wear it is with the main module on your upper back / behind your neck, as seen in these diagrams:

1623624042465.png

The 2 options refer to the way you should use the included shirt clips. I think option 1 might require a buddy’s help (unless you’re quite flexible and use mirrors… :thinking:)

The plastic body and its very light weight made me forget I have anything on the back of my neck very quickly!

The last comment I will add on the fit and comfort: due to the short wires and to the remote on the right side – it is impossible to wear the cable looped around the ears. The Etymotion BT cable is meant to be worn straight down, and that is your only option. Since I have been wearing my ER2/3/4 that way anyhow – I did not find it to be a real limitation but thought it is important to mention.

Test setup:
One of the downfalls of BT cables/receivers is hiss, due to the amp’s noise floor. For that reason, I decided to use the ER3SE since it is the most sensitive IEM in the ER2/3/4 lineup. Let's challenge the Etymotion and its noise floor!

As for source, I used my Samsung S6 tablet running Android 11. The connection between the S6 and the Etymotion has been utilizing AptX codec, which promises high bandwidth (and therefore audio quality) as well as low latency.

For music – I used the S6 to stream lossless music from Tidal.
I also tested with YouTube videos, mostly focused on testing lag/latency/lip-sync, which is the 2nd downfall of BT (from my past experience).

Bluetooth connection stability & latency:
Pairing Etymotion to my S6 tablet was quick and seamless. After pairing this once, I had no Bluetooth connection issues. I have not tested the range, but placing the tablet on a table and walking around the room (up to 15 feet / 5 meters away from the tablet) – I experienced no disconnects, no hiccups, no dropouts – everything worked flawlessly.

As for latency / lag - I watched several YouTube videos, looking for lag manifested in lip-sync issues. At first, it seemed there is no lag at all. Looking more closely, I could detect a VERY slight delay (manifested in very minor lip-sync issue). The latency was so minor, that it was only detectable when I looked for it, and did not prevent me from enjoying watching a movie. YMMV depending on BT codec support and implementation of your source. At least for me - Etymotion passed this test.

Built-in microphone and phone calls usage:
During my audition – my focus has been on using Etymotion for listening to music and for watching videos on YouTube. The microphone was neglected by me for the most part.

To check the microphone, I did make a couple phone calls (paired to my Samsung S10e phone). According to the people I tested the microphone on - my voice sounded normal although "different" compared to the phone's mic. I was told they heard me fine. There is no background noise filtering, as far as I know, so the other side got my voice along with whatever ambient noise was present.

The 3-button remote / controller:
Personally, I prefer to control the volume and playback from the source (phone, tablet, etc.). For that reason, most of the time I just ignored the 3-button inline remote on the cable.

You can use the 3 buttons to answer and decline calls, change the volume or skip to the next or the previous track, as well as play and pause tracks. I briefly tested it, and moved back to my preferred way of doing all that on the source… Nothing to report other than it is working as advertised.

Sound impressions:
Before I get to the actual sound impressions… as mentioned before, I chose the ER3SE since they’re the most sensitive of the bunch. Not because the Etymotion lacks on power, but because I wanted to make it harder for the Etymotion to pass on the hiss test :smiling_imp:

The good news: unlike some other BT cables / receivers I tested in the past – I could detect no hiss (others call it waterfall noise). The hiss (if it’s present) can be heard during very quiet passages or between tracks. No hiss - very good starting point!

As for the sound itself - having a dedicated DAC/Amp chip by AKM means that (as expected) the sound is better than connecting the ER3SE directly to my phone (which still has 3.5mm jack). Instrument separation is a little better, dynamic range feels wider thanks to better bass and treble.
Now, is it better than connecting the ER3SE wired to a dedicated mid-range DAP (like my Cayin N3Pro or FiiO M11)? No. But I did not expect it to be! Mid-range (or better) music sources have better DACs and Amps. However, if your smartphone or tablet have no headphone jack, or even if they do - Etymotion would provide better sound quality that ER2/3/4 connected directly. Counter intuitive? Maybe. Keep in mind today's Bluetooth (BT 5.0 with AptX and/or AptX HD) is not nearly as bad as BT used to be only 3-4 years ago. I strongly recommend giving BT a fair chance if you have not done so with BT 5.0 and AptX.

So, who is Etymotion made for?
I kind of already answered that in the paragraph above. Etymotion is made for the person who would like to enjoy his or her ER2/3/4 IEMs, but prefers or is forced to use wireless connection. Most new phones and tablets do not have a 3.5mm headphone jack any longer, and so Etymotion is the perfect solution to watch YouTube / Netflix / Hulu / Amazon videos or to stream your favorite music from Tidal, Qubuz, etc. Even if your phone / tablet / PC still have 3.5mm jack, the built-in DAC and Amp are very likely inferior to the AKM DAC/Amp chip used inside the Etymotion!

My personal wish-list for the next Etymotion:
I do not have insiders knowledge of future Etymotion products. At least not as of writing these impressions.
So, if I were the product manager defining the next Etymotion - here is what I would improve on:
  • LDAC codec support: that would allow for 24-bit/96kHz playback (compared to 24-bit/48kHz)
  • T2 connectors: to accommodate for the new EVO
  • USB-C charging connector

Conclusion and final words:
I was truly impressed by Etymotion. No, it is not quite a replacement for high-end or even mid-range dedicated DAP (and wired connection to it). However, if you mostly stream your music using a phone (or tablet) with AptX (or AptX HD) support – pair Etymotion to your phone (or tablet) and stream away. Same goes for watching movies / TV shows / videos, be it from YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc. - you'll get better sound than your phone / tablet / PC built-in 3.5mm headphone jack (if it even exists).

At the time of writing these impressions – Etymotion is available for purchase on amazon for significantly lower price than the official MSRP. Quite a steal at this price, IMHO.

Jun 13, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #111 of 408
Yes, LDAC support would surely get me scrambling into buying this one. Tell them Zachik, it's really worth it to go LDAC. My own extensive tests with N3 Pro and Android with 990kbps LDAC running 44.1/16bit FLAC, I honestly cannot discern any worrying degradation in SQ

Jun 13, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #112 of 408
Yes, LDAC support would surely get me scrambling into buying this one. Tell them Zachik, it's really worth it to go LDAC. My own extensive tests with N3 Pro and Android with 990kbps LDAC running 44.1/16bit FLAC, I honestly cannot discern any worrying degradation in SQ
I will tell @EtyDave next time I chat with him, but for all I know (and again, I do NOT have any insiders info on that one) - this future product design / features might already be a done deal...

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #113 of 408
Etymotic ER2SE - impressions and comparison:

I start with the caveat that I am working with Etymotic, and the ER2SE was provided to me. That said, my personal integrity and reputation are very important to me, and I am sharing my honest opinions! Those who still think that my impressions are biased and only serve as “infomercial” for Etymotic are welcome to stop reading.

OK, let’s get started!

After covering most of the single BA (Balanced Armature) Etymotic lineup (ER4SR, ER3SE and ER3XR) – it is time to check out the single Dynamic Driver ER2SE.

1624506419782.png

Package and accessories:
The ER2SE box includes:
  • ER2SE IEMs
  • Ear tips: 3 pairs (2 x triple-flange silicone + 1 x foam)
  • Cable: the cable that comes with the ER2SE is identical to the ER3SE and ER3XR 4ft cable. It feels rubbery and a little microphonic, but the shirt clip and chin slider help mitigate that.
  • Zippered case
  • Filter removal tool and 2 spare filters
  • Shirt clip
  • Printed user’s manual
The ER2SE aluminum shells and cable splitter are finished in metallic blue, as opposed to the black finish of the ER3 series IEMs. Otherwise, they look and feel pretty much the same!

Sources used:
  • Samsung S10e phone running UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) and Tidal (Hi-Fi plan for lossless streaming)
  • Cayin N3Pro DAP with local lossless music (mostly CD quality 44.1k / 16bit FLACs)

Build Quality, Fit and Comfort:
The ER2SE look and feel share the same exact high build quality as the ER3 and ER4 more expensive siblings. Same goes for the fit and comfort – if you ever tried the ER3 or ER4 models and liked the deep insertion, the ER2SE would feel exactly the same.
Personally, I have no issues at all with the Etymotic “signature” deep insertion, and the default triple flange tips fit me perfectly and provide a very good seal.

Note on BA vs. DD:
I feel here is the place to make a very important (and potentially controversial) note on Balanced Armature vs. Dynamic Driver transducers, before getting into the sound.
Here goes: in my personal experience, most dynamic driver headphones and IEMs benefit from burn-in. In some cases, burn-in led to huge improvements, in other cases – I could not tell any difference. In some cases, 10-20 hours were sufficient for big improvements. In other cases, up to 150 or 200 hours. From my experience, IF burn-in changed the sound – it was always an improvement compared to the first listen out of the box.
I never encountered IEMs using BA transducers benefiting from burn-in. Again, my personal experience.
I know this topic is loaded, some agree with me while others think it is totally BS. I am not trying to convince anyone or start a heated burn-in discussion.
So why do I mention burn-in here? I have used the ER2SE for less than 30 hours. I mention that in case someone asks or if I am told by ER2SE owners than the IEM improved after 100 hours of burn-in... :wink:

Sound impressions and comparison to ER3SE:
Being the SE (Studio Edition) variant, ER2SE is (as expected) not bassy at all. Compared to the ER3SE and ER4SR – the bass does sound a little different. I am trying to convince myself it is not just placebo effect, since I know the ER2SE uses a dynamic driver as opposed to a Balanced Armature. Either way, going back and forth between the ER2SE and ER3SE – I feel both are really good, just different flavors. Is chocolate better than vanilla? (actually, it is, but I am sure some would disagree on that… :wink:)
Some more differences between the ER2SE and ER3SE:
  • ER2SE have a little more bass slam than ER3SE.
  • ER3SE is a little faster. Notes have shorter attack and decay, which makes complex passages sound more detailed with better instrument separation.
  • ER3SE treble sounds more detailed and extended. That is not to say the ER2SE treble is bad. Quite the opposite!
  • Mids are very good with both. Just like the bass - it is a matter of personal taste and preference... More details and resolution with ER3SE, more weight and smoothness to the notes with ER2SE.

Conclusion:
Etymotic ER2SE in my mind is the perfect entry level IEM into this hobby, for people who are looking for reference sound signature (read: no bass boost).
In fact, for entry level IEM – ER2SE is very impressive. Bass is not boomy, mids are very clear and the treble is well extended.

Should I get ER2SE or ER3SE?
I will try to answer this one with a few rules of thumb:
  • If your budget is tight – ER2SE is cheaper.
  • If your music have complex passages and you’re looking for better instrument separation and details – ER3SE is your choice.
  • If you want to have a bit more weight and body – ER2SE will be to your liking.

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #115 of 408
Thanks for the insight Zachi. So it does makes more sense for my preference now to get ER3SE over the ER2SE. I agree with you that BA remains superior when it comes to speed - but having said that Etymotic tuning of the DD is still the fastest I have heard so far.
I feel the strong suite of ER2SE is being smoother and having more weight to the notes. So, depending on your source and music - ER2SE is more forgiving to bad quality recordings, like 80s pop for example. If you're into classical music - probably you'd like ER3SE better.
I agree that Etymotic's DD is fast, compared to DD based IEMs, but still a bit slower attack and decay compared to the BA based ER3SE and ER4SR.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #116 of 408
Etymotion BT – impressions:

Let me start with a caveat that I am now working with Etymotic, and the Etymotion BT was provided to me by Etymotic. That said, my personal integrity and reputation are very important to me, and I am sharing my honest opinions! Those who might think that my impressions are biased and only serve as “infomercial” for Etymotic are welcome to stop reading...

OK, let’s get started! :)

Etymotion BT is not as well known as the Etymotic ER2/3/4 IEMs. It is Etymotic’s Bluetooth “cable” which includes a BT receiver, DAC and amp. The MMCX connectors will be used to attach your favorite ER2/3/4 IEMs. Here is the Etymotion with my ER3SE attached:

As can be seen in the photo above, the main “box” includes the battery, circuit board (with the BT receiver, DAC and amp) and the micro USB charging port. A remote or controller with microphone is located close to the right IEM, and includes 3 buttons to control volume and playback.

Let’s start with some specs first:
  • Bluetooth chipset: Qualcomm Bluetooth 5.0 chip
  • Codecs supported: AptX and AptX HD up to 24 bit/48khz
  • DAC & Amp: AKM AK4331 chip with Velvet Sound Technology
  • DAC: 32-bit (limited by AptX HD to 24bit/48Khz)
  • Amp output power: 70mW @ 8 Ohm
  • AK4331 datasheet (for the curious souls): https://velvetsound.akm.com/content...udio-dac/ak4331ecb/ak4331ecb-en-datasheet.pdf
  • Battery life: Etymotic claims 8 hours. I did not perform battery life tests, so cannot confirm or dispute that number.

Package & Accessories:
The Etymotion comes in a package not unlike ER2/3/4 IEMs. Simple, nothing fancy, and includes the following accessories:

The zippered case is the same used for the ER2/3/4 IEMs. The 2 included shirt clips are used to prevent the main module from flapping and bouncing around (see the 2 diagrams in the next section). Included are also a micro-USB cable for charging, and the printed user’s manual. You will not get a Funko Pop hockey player... :wink:

Build Quality, Look & Feel, Fit and Comfort:
Unlike the ER2/3/4 (and EVO) IEMs – the Etymotion body or main module (as well as the remote/controller) is made of plastic. That helps reducing the weight, but it does feel less premium. The recommended way to wear it is with the main module on your upper back / behind your neck, as seen in these diagrams:

1623624042465.png

The 2 options refer to the way you should use the included shirt clips. I think option 1 might require a buddy’s help (unless you’re quite flexible and use mirrors… :thinking:)

The plastic body and its very light weight made me forget I have anything on the back of my neck very quickly!

The last comment I will add on the fit and comfort: due to the short wires and to the remote on the right side – it is impossible to wear the cable looped around the ears. The Etymotion BT cable is meant to be worn straight down, and that is your only option. Since I have been wearing my ER2/3/4 that way anyhow – I did not find it to be a real limitation but thought it is important to mention.

Test setup:
One of the downfalls of BT cables/receivers is hiss, due to the amp’s noise floor. For that reason, I decided to use the ER3SE since it is the most sensitive IEM in the ER2/3/4 lineup. Let's challenge the Etymotion and its noise floor!

As for source, I used my Samsung S6 tablet running Android 11. The connection between the S6 and the Etymotion has been utilizing AptX codec, which promises high bandwidth (and therefore audio quality) as well as low latency.

For music – I used the S6 to stream lossless music from Tidal.
I also tested with YouTube videos, mostly focused on testing lag/latency/lip-sync, which is the 2nd downfall of BT (from my past experience).

Bluetooth connection stability & latency:
Pairing Etymotion to my S6 tablet was quick and seamless. After pairing this once, I had no Bluetooth connection issues. I have not tested the range, but placing the tablet on a table and walking around the room (up to 15 feet / 5 meters away from the tablet) – I experienced no disconnects, no hiccups, no dropouts – everything worked flawlessly.

As for latency / lag - I watched several YouTube videos, looking for lag manifested in lip-sync issues. At first, it seemed there is no lag at all. Looking more closely, I could detect a VERY slight delay (manifested in very minor lip-sync issue). The latency was so minor, that it was only detectable when I looked for it, and did not prevent me from enjoying watching a movie. YMMV depending on BT codec support and implementation of your source. At least for me - Etymotion passed this test.

Built-in microphone and phone calls usage:
During my audition – my focus has been on using Etymotion for listening to music and for watching videos on YouTube. The microphone was neglected by me for the most part.

To check the microphone, I did make a couple phone calls (paired to my Samsung S10e phone). According to the people I tested the microphone on - my voice sounded normal although "different" compared to the phone's mic. I was told they heard me fine. There is no background noise filtering, as far as I know, so the other side got my voice along with whatever ambient noise was present.

The 3-button remote / controller:
Personally, I prefer to control the volume and playback from the source (phone, tablet, etc.). For that reason, most of the time I just ignored the 3-button inline remote on the cable.

You can use the 3 buttons to answer and decline calls, change the volume or skip to the next or the previous track, as well as play and pause tracks. I briefly tested it, and moved back to my preferred way of doing all that on the source… Nothing to report other than it is working as advertised.

Sound impressions:
Before I get to the actual sound impressions… as mentioned before, I chose the ER3SE since they’re the most sensitive of the bunch. Not because the Etymotion lacks on power, but because I wanted to make it harder for the Etymotion to pass on the hiss test :smiling_imp:

The good news: unlike some other BT cables / receivers I tested in the past – I could detect no hiss (others call it waterfall noise). The hiss (if it’s present) can be heard during very quiet passages or between tracks. No hiss - very good starting point!

As for the sound itself - having a dedicated DAC/Amp chip by AKM means that (as expected) the sound is better than connecting the ER3SE directly to my phone (which still has 3.5mm jack). Instrument separation is a little better, dynamic range feels wider thanks to better bass and treble.
Now, is it better than connecting the ER3SE wired to a dedicated mid-range DAP (like my Cayin N3Pro or FiiO M11)? No. But I did not expect it to be! Mid-range (or better) music sources have better DACs and Amps. However, if your smartphone or tablet have no headphone jack, or even if they do - Etymotion would provide better sound quality that ER2/3/4 connected directly. Counter intuitive? Maybe. Keep in mind today's Bluetooth (BT 5.0 with AptX and/or AptX HD) is not nearly as bad as BT used to be only 3-4 years ago. I strongly recommend giving BT a fair chance if you have not done so with BT 5.0 and AptX.

So, who is Etymotion made for?
I kind of already answered that in the paragraph above. Etymotion is made for the person who would like to enjoy his or her ER2/3/4 IEMs, but prefers or is forced to use wireless connection. Most new phones and tablets do not have a 3.5mm headphone jack any longer, and so Etymotion is the perfect solution to watch YouTube / Netflix / Hulu / Amazon videos or to stream your favorite music from Tidal, Qubuz, etc. Even if your phone / tablet / PC still have 3.5mm jack, the built-in DAC and Amp are very likely inferior to the AKM DAC/Amp chip used inside the Etymotion!

My personal wish-list for the next Etymotion:
I do not have insiders knowledge of future Etymotion products. At least not as of writing these impressions.
So, if I were the product manager defining the next Etymotion - here is what I would improve on:
  • LDAC codec support: that would allow for 24-bit/96kHz playback (compared to 24-bit/48kHz)
  • T2 connectors: to accommodate for the new EVO
  • USB-C charging connector

Conclusion and final words:
I was truly impressed by Etymotion. No, it is not quite a replacement for high-end or even mid-range dedicated DAP (and wired connection to it). However, if you mostly stream your music using a phone (or tablet) with AptX (or AptX HD) support – pair Etymotion to your phone (or tablet) and stream away. Same goes for watching movies / TV shows / videos, be it from YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc. - you'll get better sound than your phone / tablet / PC built-in 3.5mm headphone jack (if it even exists).

At the time of writing these impressions – Etymotion is available for purchase on amazon for significantly lower price than the official MSRP. Quite a steal at this price, IMHO.
Love my Etymotion cable as well and echo the sentiments that either LDAC or an LHDC variant should be pursued in a future generation, but I do understand the tradeoff in battery life. That being said, it's an impressive piece of hardware and I've grabbed it on plenty of occasions when I just needed to clean the house. Great companion to the OnePlus 8T, which doesn't have a headphone jack of its own.

Definitely agree with USB-C instead of microUSB. Connection is robust now, but I've never had a microUSB socket that didn't get loose over time.

Oh, I do Option 1 solo, but I'm also a little weird. It is a major exercise in dexterity, but weightless once it's attached. I could also use an inch or two more cable on each side on account of my giraffe neck.

Jul 3, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #117 of 408
Linum SuperBaX cable – impressions:

One topic of discussion ever since Etymotic EVO was introduced, sporting the new (to Etymotic) T2 connectors, was “what about balanced cables?”.
Today, I will try to address this question.

Background
First, let me thank Heidi from Linum. I contacted Linum shortly after I received my Etymotic EVO, asking for a balanced cable with T2 connectors to test with the EVO. Heidi replied to my request and provided a sample, terminated with 4.4mm plug. Having said that, my impressions are my own and not influenced by Linum in any way!

Linum should sound familiar to people following the release of Etymotic EVO, but in case it is not:
  • Linum is a brand of estron, a company in Denmark that specializes in “Wire, Cable and Connector Solutions”.
  • Etymotic EVO is using T2 connectors, which are proprietary connectors developed by estron, and looks like a smaller and improved MMCX.
  • In fact, the stock cable that comes with the EVO is Linum’s own BaX T2 cable.

Linum BaX vs. SuperBaX
So what did I get? Identical cable to the stock cable, only terminated with 4.4mm connector? Not quite! :)
Linum is offering 3 levels of cables:
  • Music line: this is the entry level line, priced at 69 EUR. Available with 3.5mm SE termination only.
  • BaX line: a step up from the Music line, although price wise a very small one, and is Linum’s mainstream as far as I can tell. Available with 3.5mm SE termination only, and this is the EVO stock cable.
  • SuperBaX line: these are the premium cables, priced at approx. 250 EUR (for balanced version).
In summary, Linum is offering balanced cables only in the SuperBaX series, and that is exactly what I received. Here is a side-by-side photo of the EVO stock BaX cable and the balanced SuperBaX cable:

1625348012503.png

So, what are the differences between the BaX and SuperBaX cables?
  • BaX cable uses silver plated copper litz wires, double-twisted with 84 strands.
  • SuperBaX uses the same silver plated copper litz, but quad-twisted with 168 strands.
  • The result? SuperBaX is thicker, stronger (pull strength of cable 26lbs vs. 13lbs) and introduces half the impedance of 0.75Ω vs 1.5Ω

Here is a close-up of the wires and the T2 connectors:

1625348158283.png

You can clearly see the wire between the split and the T2 connectors consist of a single wire for BaX vs. twisted pair for the SuperBaX. The cable between the split and the 3.5mm or 4.4mm plug is also twice as thick, comprised of a twisted pair for the BaX vs. twisted quad for the SuperBaX.

Fit and comfort with Etymotic EVO
My and other early reviewers’ comments on the stock cable mention how crazy thin it is, how light it is, and some complained how it would not stay in place looped behind the ear.
The SuperBaX cable is still on the thin and light side, although clearly not as thin or as light. The BaX is by far the thinnest and lightest IEM cable that I ever seen! The SuperBaX is on par with the thinnest and lightest IEM cables from non-Linum brands. Those who might worry about SuperBaX being twice as thick and twice as heavy as the stock BaX cable – think about it as the thinnest and lightest cable you can get for any IEM (excluding BaX). Definitely no reason to worry! Personally, I like the feel of the SuperBaX better.
As for the complaint about BaX cable being too thin that it stubbornly pop from behind your ear and won’t stay looped behind the ears – the SuperBaX solved that problem for me. The twisted pair (compared to single wire with BaX stock cable) is still barely felt behind my ears, even while wearing glasses.

In conclusion, the SuperBaX is a step up in comfort and usability. Linum managed to strike a very good balance of being very thin and light while not being too thin.

Sound impressions
What about the sound? Does the SuperBaX provide an improved sonic experience with the Etymotic EVO? In a word: Yes!

The sonic improvements are 2 fold. Let me explain what I mean by that…
  • Balanced vs. SE source: Balanced headphone jacks provides 2 main advantages over SE – better noise floor control (due to separate ground signal for each channel) and more power. I think EVO benefits from both the lower noise floor and the extra power. I used my FiiO M11 DAP to compare the 2 cables. The M11 has 4.4mm balanced output, as well as standard 3.5mm SE output. At least on the FiiO M11, the balanced output comes through as having a wider sound stage, better instrument separation, better details, and tighter bass. Etymotic EVO with the SuperBaX cable transformed into an even more musical experience. Dynamic range felt bigger and the treble extended higher giving the impression of more air and better instrument separation and details. Granted, most of the improvement likely came from the DAP itself. Not the cable. However, the SuperBaX balanced cable enabled the use of the balanced output.
  • Compared on SE source: Now, I wanted to make an apples-to-apples comparison, trying to determine how much (if any) improvement the cable itself provide. For this comparison, I only used the 3.5mm SE output from my FiiO M11 DAP. The stock BaX cable was used natively, whereas for testing the balanced cable – I used this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0922VY6FB/ My intention here was to test the 2 cables as SE cables, to see if I can hear any differences that result from the double number of wires used in the SuperBaX cable. My conclusion here was the SuperBaX cable sounded better, improving on the instrument separation and details. However, the improvements here to my ears were small. Going from SE to Balanced yielded a much bigger improvement.

Final words
The Linum SuperBaX balanced cable is a clear upgrade compared to the stock BaX cable. Not only the cable is stronger (thus lasting longer, probably) but being thicker is helping with better fit. I really like it.

My personal recommendation:
  • If you have a good balanced source, such as a DAP with 2.5mm or 4.4mm headphone jack – get the SuperBaX balanced cable. There is no question in my mind!
  • If you only have SE 3.5mm source – the improvement is still there, but it is a much smaller step up from the stock BaX cable. I suggest you invest in a better source (with balanced out) first. Then, get the balanced SuperBaX cable... :wink:

Product page: https://www.linum.dk/products/linum-g2-superbax/

Jul 9, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #118 of 408
Linums prices are crazy, nearly ÂŁ100 more for a 4.4mm over the 3.5mm and it's the same cable with a basic standard 4.4mm plug nothing special, not to mention the fact that if you get the ultimate ears cable which is exactly the same apart from their branding on the Y split they charge ÂŁ150 where as linum want ÂŁ250 !
Don't get me wrong they are good cables but the pricing structure is way off.

Jul 9, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #119 of 408
Alternatively you can get the 64Audio pro cable which has the same connectors, wire silver plated ofc thickness around double the bax with more flexibility and angled connectors so they go round the ear and hold better. Not to mention it's a 4 core so can be easily re terminated to balanced and a bargain of a price at ÂŁ44. It's the same cable 64 put with their flagship customs so if it's good enough for them at ÂŁ2000/3000, surely it's worth adding to the Evos.
20210709_194355.jpg20210709_194402.jpg20210709_204534.jpg

Jul 10, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #120 of 408
And for those worried about the actual connectors used on the 64 cable as there are pictures on the linum web page about fake connectors, fear not the ones on the 64 are black centered with a solid center ring and thin washer not like the fake white with a split center and thicker washer ..... Like I said in the previous post nothing wrong with linum cables so don't get the impression I'm on a bashing mission, I just like options that suit my wearing style and pocket.
20210709_193937.jpg20210709_193621.jpg20210709_194050.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back