Etymotic & Westone - Discussion & Impressions (index in 1st post)
Jul 11, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #121 of 408
Etymotic ER4XR – impressions and comparisons:

ER4XR has been Etymotic’s flagship IEM for audiophiles who prefer the extra bass for several years now. The new and more expensive EVO is positioned to reclaim the flagship status away from the ER4XR. So it is only natural that people would like to know: is the EVO truly better than the ER4XR?
While I try to answer this question, I will also compare the ER4XR to ER4SR (the reference-tuned twin) and to ER3XR (the extra-bass younger brother).

Before we start, I would like to remind the readers here that I am affiliated with Etymotic and received the EVO, ER4XR, ER4SR and ER3XR (all will be mentioned below) free of charge. Having said that, I am sharing with you my honest and unbiased opinions.

OK, let’s start! :L3000:

Since the emphasis this time around is on the comparisons to the other IEMs in Etymotic’s lineup, I will skip the sections detailing: what’s in the box (pretty identical to ER4SR), build quality (same as ER4SR), fit and comfort (same as all other ER2/3/4 IEMs).
For all the comparisons, I used my FiiO M11 DAP, playing locally stored FLAC files in CD quality (44.1kHz / 16bit) or better. No EQ used.

I will start with comparing ER4XR to EVO:
1626034671585.png

As seen in the photo, I have been using the stock (single ended 3.5mm) cable for both. Reason being I did not have a balanced cable for the EVO at the time of comparison. I do have the official Etymotic balanced cable for the ER4XR, and received the Linum SuperBaX balanced cable for the EVO since, though. Both balanced cables were reviewed by me, and you can find the links in the 1st post of this thread for all of my reviews and impressions. I do plan to add a comparison of ER4XR vs. EVO with balanced cables when I find the time...

I will start with the star of the show: the bass! Personally, I like having more bass than flat / neutral. Both ER4XR and EVO satisfy this “need” for more bass, but that is where the resemblance ends. Let me take a step back, and remind you of the driver configuration difference between the two IEMs. ER4XR consists of a single BA that covers the entire range (bass, mids and treble). EVO on the other hand consists of 3 BA drivers: 1 for covering both mids and treble, and 2 working in tandem responsible for the bass (and sub-bass). The good news here is Etymotic did not turn the EVO into a basshead IEMs. At least not the type of IEMs that “true” audiophiles would treat as inferior “hot mess”. Instead, what I am hearing is a very satisfying bass with the ER4XR that is improved upon by the EVO. Improved how? By adding more details and layering in the bass region. The sub-bass improvement of the EVO is even more noticeable. Sub-bass reaches lower frequencies, and there is a tasteful shelf there. The audible outcome is a very satisfying sub-bass rumble on tracks that call for it. These same tracks, when switching back from EVO to the ER4XR – makes you feel something is just missing there now! You might not have that feeling using the ER4XR on its own, but coming from EVO just spoils you :wink:

Moving on to the mids… The ER4XR midrange frequencies are neutral and very detailed. A reference tuning that is not boring or too analytical. Instrument separation is very good, despite the intimate sound stage. Very fast transients help with the instrument separation by not letting the notes linger for too long, and overlap with the new upcoming notes. EVO is quite similar in its technicalities, but still sound a little different. Sometimes it is hard to put our finger on or putting into words what our ears and brain perceive. Trying to explain the difference anyhow, I would say the EVO is more relaxed or laid back in its presentation. I am not saying the ER4XR is an aggressive “in your face” IEM, but the EVO is even more relaxed. Neither would cause listening fatigue. ER4XR resolution is very good, but the EVO feels like it is a step up in some busy tracks.

On to the treble. ER4XR treble is very impressive, and that is coming from someone (me) who usually care the least about treble (compared to mids and bass). Etymotic managed to create an IEM with so much detail in the treble, and yet stay away from being fatiguing. That is not an easy thing to do! The notes do not linger (fast decay) which helps with instrument separation and airy presentation. To my ears, the treble of ER4XR and EVO are on the same impressive technical level. On some tracks, I get the feeling that EVO treble extends better, but on other tracks – I cannot hear such improvement.

Help me choose between ER4XR and EVO…
  • Get EVO if you want better bass and/or much better and more quantity of sub-bass rumble. For EDM fans – it is an easy decision.
  • Get ER4XR if EVO is too pricey for your budget or you prefer a closer to reference sound signature, especially when it comes to bass and sub-bass.

Comparing ER4XR to its non-identical twin, the ER4SR:
This is going to be a short one :wink: When it comes to mids and treble, ER4XR and ER4SR are identical twins. I honestly cannot tell them apart on a blind audition. During the comparison, at times I forgot which is currently in my ears, and by listening to mids or treble – I still could not tell which!
The bass is obviously a different story… to my taste, ER4SR is just too anemic in the bass department. Being a minor case of a basshead – that is not surprising. I always appreciate some boost in the bass. Before EVO came out – I would say the ER4XR bass is very good! To me, it is impressive to see how the ER4SR clean detailed treble and especially mids were not harmed in the process of boosting the bass to create the ER4XR.

So, the choice between ER4SR and ER4XR is a simple one:
  • Get ER4SR if you love flat response all the way from sub-bass to treble. If you need flat response because you’re a mixing engineer, or recording artist – you’re good here.
  • Get ER4XR if you love bass or find flat response ER4SR too boring. Keep in mind the bass boost is not huge – if you’re a real basshead, you might feel that even ER4XR is not bassy enough…

Comparing ER4XR to its little brother, the ER3XR:
I think this comparison is not hard either. ER4XR is a clear technical improvement compared to the ER3XR. Better instrument separation, better details/resolution, and better clarity in every part of the spectrum – bass, mids and treble! The biggest improvement, to my ears, is in the mids. Listening to bassy tracks on ER3XR made me feel the bass presence leaks into the mids or at least gives the impression that details are lost in the mids, and the presentation is more “compressed” sounding. Do not get me wrong, the ER3XR is a good IEM, but the ER4XR is a clear upgrade to my ears.
As an interesting side note, when comparing ER4SR vs. ER3SE – I could not detect much improvement going with the more expensive ER4SR, and I concluded that the ER3SE is the better deal. Others disagreed with me, which I accept. I never claimed to have golden ears… However, comparing ER4XR to ER3XR - I can definitely hear what the extra money buys you.

Final words
To me, ER4XR is the 2nd best Etymotic IEM after the new EVO.
Taking the price into account, ER4XR is the best value of any Etymotic IEM!

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #122 of 408
Well, there is a 1,000+ page thread here on Head-Fi... It is a bit older now and seemed to focus on the ER4, but since then Ety has come out with the ER3 and ER2. I think they might have outdone themselves with the ER2. While I haven't heard it, a lot of people seem to prefer it due to it's DD timbre (although it seems to not resolve as well). And now they have the Evo which is meant to compete with some of the more modern offerings coming out of China.

That said, the ER4 is the one IEM that has stood the test of time. It's 30 years old now and it's far from obsolete. It's the HD600 of the IEM world. I really admire the research and development that went into it. I do think that some offerings coming out now might finally be catching up to it though, probably why it's price was cut in half. Even still, the ER4 has its place. It's taken a LONG time for IEM R&D to finally come up with a way to compete with the ER4 at the same price (i.e. Moondrop Blessing 2, Mangird Tea, Dunu SA6 at a little more pricey but in the same ballpark). When I got my ER4 only at the end of 2019 there was nothing that beat it before reaching the $1,000 threshold. Last year's IEM boom was insane and if I knew it was coming I might've waited, but I digress.

The ER series will always have the superb isolation going for it, and the tech behind it is just so cool...the fact that it sounds the way it does with just ONE SINGLE BA driver, and these IEMs with multiple drivers shoved in are just now competing. Crin has it ranked high in his IEM list, even though he's not a fan of it, it seems he admires it's historical significance and what it's capable of for the price.

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #123 of 408
Well, there is a 1,000+ page thread here on Head-Fi... It is a bit older now and seemed to focus on the ER4, but since then Ety has come out with the ER3 and ER2. I think they might have outdone themselves with the ER2. While I haven't heard it, a lot of people seem to prefer it due to it's DD timbre (although it seems to not resolve as well). And now they have the Evo which is meant to compete with some of the more modern offerings coming out of China.

That said, the ER4 is the one IEM that has stood the test of time. It's 30 years old now and it's far from obsolete. It's the HD600 of the IEM world. I really admire the research and development that went into it. I do think that some offerings coming out now might finally be catching up to it though, probably why it's price was cut in half. Even still, the ER4 has its place. It's taken a LONG time for IEM R&D to finally come up with a way to compete with the ER4 at the same price (i.e. Moondrop Blessing 2, Mangird Tea, Dunu SA6 at a little more pricey but in the same ballpark). When I got my ER4 only at the end of 2019 there was nothing that beat it before reaching the $1,000 threshold. Last year's IEM boom was insane and if I knew it was coming I might've waited, but I digress.

The ER series will always have the superb isolation going for it, and the tech behind it is just so cool...the fact that it sounds the way it does with just ONE SINGLE BA driver, and these IEMs with multiple drivers shoved in are just now competing. Crin has it ranked high in his IEM list, even though he's not a fan of it, it seems he admires it's historical significance and what it's capable of for the price.
I was looking at getting the ER3SE (I've read the ER3XR is not as good), but now I'm looking at used sets of ER4. Is the SE or XR the one to get? Which is the more "classic" of the two? Not interested in the ER2 as I've already got a single DD set I like and don't have a single BA set and am looking for the classic, iconic BA Ety to add to my collection.

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #124 of 408
I was looking at getting the ER3SE (I've read the ER3XR is not as good), but now I'm looking at used sets of ER4. Is the SE or XR the one to get? Which is the more "classic" of the two? Not interested in the ER2 as I've already got a single DD set I like and don't have a single BA set and am looking for the classic, iconic BA Ety to add to my collection.
Classic, iconic would be ER4SR. But I don’t think I would like it. Even XR is a little lean for me.

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #125 of 408
Cable re terminated to balanced stock filters changed to red, stock tips used but I'm rolling at the moment to get a better fit for me personally, but initially they sound good ... Really good ! red filters have just brought in the top end slightly, was getting a bit of sib ( I'm upper treble sensitive) separation is great and very clear and the bass is superb, tight and accurate and with the reds goes low and sounds great. Holds its own against the rest of my go to iems.
20210713_225114.jpg

Jul 24, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #126 of 408
Etymotic ER2XR – impressions and comparisons:

ER2XR is Etymotic’s entry level IEM in the ER series, and as such is priced lower than the ER4 and ER3 models. ER2XR is one of the only 2 models (along with its ER2SE non-identical twin) to sport a dynamic driver (as opposed to the single BA used by ER3 and ER4 models).
In this post I will compare the ER2XR to ER2SE (the flat or reference tuned twin) and to ER3XR (the extra-bass bigger brother). For the fun of it, I will add the ER4XR to the mix.

Before we start, I would like to remind the readers that I am affiliated with Etymotic. I received the ER2XR from Etymotic free of charge. Having said that, I am sharing with you my honest and unbiased opinions.

OK, let’s start! 😊

Since the emphasis this time around is on the comparisons to the other IEMs in Etymotic’s lineup, I will skip the parts detailing: what’s in the box (identical to ER2SE and ER3 siblings), build quality (same as ER2SE and ER3 models), fit and comfort (same as all other ER2/3/4 IEMs).

All comparisons done on FiiO M11 DAP, playing locally stored FLAC files in CD quality (44.1kHz / 16bit) or better. No EQ used.

I will start with comparing ER2XR to ER2SE:

1627169830979.png

Note on BA vs. DD and burn-in:
As I noted in my ER2SE impressions, in my personal experience most dynamic driver headphones and IEMs benefit from burn-in. In some cases, burn-in led to huge improvements, in other cases – I could not tell the difference. In some cases, 10-20 hours were sufficient for big improvements, in others – up to 150 or 200 hours. From my experience, IF burn-in changed the sound – it was always an improvement compared to the first listen out of the box.
I know this topic is loaded, some agree with me while others think it is totally BS. I am not trying to convince anyone or start a burn-in discussion. The reason for this note is to let the burn-in believers know that both ER2 IEMs were burned-in 25-30 hours before critically listening to either of them. I used my DAP, playing random tracks in a loop, with a little higher than normal listening levels.

ER2XR sound impressions and comparing to ER2SE:
ER2XR (eXtended Response) compared to its sibling, the ER2SE (Studio Edition) - adds a noticeable but very tasteful bass lift. Hardcore bass heads would still dismiss the ER2XR, most likely, but for people like me who love the extra bass – the result (compared to the ER2SE) is very positive!
The rest of the frequency response, from the lower midrange up all the way to treble, the two ER2 models sound pretty identical to my ears. Bass elevation is the only differentiator between the two to my ears.
Both ER2 models present a neutral tonal balance. ER2SE throughout the entire frequency range, where the ER2XR present the same neutral tonal balance from the mids up, but with the added bass in the low frequencies. Both ER2 models feature fast transients, a trait more common to BA based than DD based IEMs. Transients are not as fast as BA based IEMs, but faster than most DD based IEMs. Bass in both ER2 IEMs comes through as more natural and slower than BA based ER3 and ER4 IEMs.

ER2XR compared to ER3XR:
Bass from dynamic driver sounds more natural and pleasing to my ears than BA produced bass. I have auditioned IEMs that are significantly more expensive, with much better technical capabilities, and yet I still prefer bass from dynamic driver. Comparing the ER2XR to the ER3XR, the star of the show being the bass – I much prefer the ER2XR bass. For me, this is an easy win for the ER2XR.
When it comes to the mids, I hear more details in the ER3XR but the bass leaks a little to the lower mids and thus give the impression of being less detailed than it really is. The ER2XR in comparison feels like less affected by bass leak, but on the other hand is a little less resolving. So, I will calls the mids a tie between the 2 IEMs.
ER3XR treble reaches higher and has better detail and resolution. Neither is shouty or sibilant, and treble sensitive people may prefer the ER2XR, but I think objectively (as much as that is possible when auditioning audio) – ER3XR is the treble winner.

ER2XR compared to ER4XR:
This comparison is going to be interesting… The ER4XR is much more expensive IEM (MSRP prices compared), and the ER2XR poses no competition when it comes to resolution or detail retrieval in any of the frequency bands. However, going back to the bass – ER2XR bass sounds more natural and pleasing to my ears. ER4XR bass is more detailed for sure, and the decay is faster, so if you like the bass being very tight with fast decay – ER4XR will be your favorite. I like the more natural tonality and longer decay time of the ER2XR bass better. So bass is going to be a personal preference, IMHO. No clear winner.
Going to the mids, again this is going to be an weird situation… Technically, the ER4XR is much better no question about it. Better instrument separation, better detail retrieval, faster transients. But, compared to the ER2XR – the mids are a little leaner. Not to say the ER4XR is too lean, but if you like thicker sound with more meat on the bones (apologies to the vegetarians here) – you might actually prefer the ER2XR.
The treble is finally an easy comparison. ER4XR treble is better in every way. <mic drop>

Final words:
The ER2XR is a very interesting product by Etymotic. On paper and price wise, it looks like an entry level IEM. However, even compared to the ER4XR which is the single BA top-tier IEM by Etymotic – it holds its ground and in some respects would even be a winner for some people!

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #127 of 408
@ledzep

May I ask what transport case is shown on the picture?

Cable re terminated to balanced stock filters changed to red, stock tips used but I'm rolling at the moment to get a better fit for me personally, but initially they sound good ... Really good ! red filters have just brought in the top end slightly, was getting a bit of sib ( I'm upper treble sensitive) separation is great and very clear and the bass is superb, tight and accurate and with the reds goes low and sounds great. Holds its own against the rest of my go to iems.
20210713_225114.jpg

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #129 of 408
I hear most on the PC (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) with the Etymotic ER3XR. I also have the Er2xr and Er2se but like the 3xr more. A few days ago I bought the Sennheiser ie 300 and I love the bass. To me they sound similar to the Eytmotic Er3xr only with more bass and sharper treble.

I also had the Etymotic Er4xr but they sounded almost identical to the Etyotic Er3xr. I sanded off all Etymotics about 1mm so that standard MMCX cables fit and so I also use them with Bluetooth cables.
Now I'm thinking of buying either the Etymotic EVO or the Sennheiser ie900.

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #130 of 408
Sep 4, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #131 of 408
What are y'all's thoughts on which models are best for classical? I get that the ER4s in general have better treble, but I also wonder about the BA timbre vs DD timbre. Conventional wisdom is that all things being equal DD is the better choice if what I want to prioritize is natural, accurate tonality, as one might with string instruments, acoustic in general, and voices. On the other hand, some BAs pull it off, or perhaps it's just worth putting up with the BA timbre in exchange for better treble.

I'm kind of hoping I'll hear that the ER2s are way better for classical, given the price, but I have a hunch you'll say, "nah, the BAs are fine."

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #132 of 408
What are y'all's thoughts on which models are best for classical? I get that the ER4s in general have better treble, but I also wonder about the BA timbre vs DD timbre. Conventional wisdom is that all things being equal DD is the better choice if what I want to prioritize is natural, accurate tonality, as one might with string instruments, acoustic in general, and voices. On the other hand, some BAs pull it off, or perhaps it's just worth putting up with the BA timbre in exchange for better treble.

I'm kind of hoping I'll hear that the ER2s are way better for classical, given the price, but I have a hunch you'll say, "nah, the BAs are fine."
The ER4SR are far better than any Chi-Fi IEMs I've ever heard, and they are much better than the ER2SE. I listen almost entirely to classical. The BA vs DD "timbre" conventional wisdom is just another way of saying that the distortions one finds in Chi-Fi with DD are preferable to the distortions one finds with BA for many people, but the ER4SR is simply accurate, so even if that is a useful heuristic for some people, I don't think it means anything relative to the ER4SR. Just my view. The ER4SR has allowed me to stop thinking about IEMs and focus entirely on music.

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #133 of 408
The ER4SR has allowed me to stop thinking about IEMs and focus entirely on music.
I think that with any IEM/headphone/Amp/DAC - once you get to this point, you just KNOW that you're where you should be!

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #134 of 408
The ER4SR are far better than any Chi-Fi IEMs I've ever heard, and they are much better than the ER2SE. I listen almost entirely to classical. The BA vs DD "timbre" conventional wisdom is just another way of saying that the distortions one finds in Chi-Fi with DD are preferable to the distortions one finds with BA for many people, but the ER4SR is simply accurate, so even if that is a useful heuristic for some people, I don't think it means anything relative to the ER4SR. Just my view. The ER4SR has allowed me to stop thinking about IEMs and focus entirely on music.
Does the relative lack of bass of the SR versus the ER pose a problem? I own a pair of SE425s, which have very little bass, and found that it's a problem even with classical. Not that I want anything boosted or exaggerated, but Brandenburg Concerti just don't sound right if one can't hear cellos play lower notes, or feel organs dig in. That's something that I feel HD600s, for example, get right. Just enough, such that the extra thickening provided by the HD650 sounds, to my ears, unwelcome.

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #135 of 408
Does the relative lack of bass of the SR versus the ER pose a problem? I own a pair of SE425s, which have very little bass, and found that it's a problem even with classical. Not that I want anything boosted or exaggerated, but Brandenburg Concerti just don't sound right if one can't hear cellos play lower notes, or feel organs dig in. That's something that I feel HD600s, for example, get right. Just enough, such that the extra thickening provided by the HD650 sounds, to my ears, unwelcome.
I don't think you're going to "feel" bass with any IEM. I think most IEMs try to compensate for this by exaggerating the bass. I had an issue with the bass on the ER4SR at first, but I realized I had a fitment issue. With the right tips, the bass is everything I want it to be. But a lot of people want boosted low frequencies, so maybe we have different tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back