Etymotic cable from APureSound
Dec 16, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #181 of 210
agreed, apart from the loss of sparkle, for me now they are more detailed and sparkly bright than ever but with a wider fluid head-staging, very wide. maybe thats cause i am using it with the v-caps.

the best pair of clinical accurate dry punchy resolving IEMS i think i may ever witness!! cant wait for my custom friction moulds to put the cherry on the icing!
eek.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #182 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you'll love them. The isolation is on par with the triflanges, but they're much more comfortable. When I had the E500, I found they brought more treble and smoothed out the bass, but I've never tried the ER4S with any other tip than the Shure black foamies.

I'm looking forward to your impressions. I tend to trust Ety-heads reviews more than others.
biggrin.gif

I have been an Ety-head for a long time, if that can make you feel more comfortable with my impressions.
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #183 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been an Ety-head for a long time, if that can make you feel more comfortable with my impressions.
biggrin.gif

My comment wasn't directed at you, don't worry.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've read your impressions and they made me want to try the Triple.fi, but I can't get past the comfort factor. When I had the Super.fi, I had to readjust the fit every minute or so and they felt very bulky in my ears. The only other IEMs I want to try are the Westone 3 and some high end UE custom, but I'm still insecure about ordering a custom.

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #184 of 210
Just like me then. Taking custom molds is terribly annoying. Also, the lack of resale value is a big let down.

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #185 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like me then. Taking custom molds is terribly annoying. Also, the lack of resale value is a big let down.

Other negative aspects:

- Getting a 150$ customs bill.
- Sending them back (and paying shipping again) in California if the fit is not good.

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #186 of 210
Exactly. And maybe paying a second time at the audiologist (here in Italy there are no audiologists affiliated with UE).

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #187 of 210
Have just received the Tripple.Fi's and given them a short try.

First impression is holy c... where did that bass come from ?
It is almost like using my L3000. An iem can't produce that much bass.

Second is impression is where did the Ety detail and treble sparkle go ?

This is no Ety replacement but a completely different annimal. Mind you this is after only 20 minutes of listening to about 5 different tracks and with no burn in what so ever so all could change. I will be taking both pairs with me on Christmas vacation to UK and will get a lot of time to listen to music and then we will se what I think after New Year.

One thing is certain however. They are not going to beat the APS Ety's for comfort and portability/size. And the flip-flop mod is essential for fit and comfort. The bi-flanges seems to be the ones that fit me the best and is the most comfortable. I have not tried to mod a set of black olives as I'm down to my last set.

They also pick up the whine from my SuperMicro that the Ety's don't.

I will try them tonight out of the RPX-100 rig and see what happens then.

Oh, and I don't actually find the stock cable to be all that bad for comfort, certainly it is a lot better that the cable on the Atrio's which I really hated. The comfort issue is more of the actual body of the phone being so much larger than the Ety and the tube going into the ear being so much thicker. No doubt they will be sturdier and last longer than the Ety's that have cracke/broken on me 3 times in 5 years.

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #188 of 210
How were you able to get them this fast? This is incredible! Did you have to pay any customs dutys?

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #189 of 210
Yes I was surprised too, they went out friday and got here tuesday. And I didn't even get hit for customs or anything.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #191 of 210
I have just listened to the first half of Verdi's Requem from the RudiStor on both Ety, TFP and L3000 and it is amazing how close the TFP gets to L3000. It dosen't resolve as well when things get complex and the bass hasn't quit got the same weight but it is still amazing. The Ety hasn't got that weight of either but it resolves better than both the others and probably reaches as low in absolute terms. Comfort wise the TFP is killing my ears after an hour and I can't see how I'm going to be able to use it for hours. Also the TFP is even more sensitive than the L3000 and picks up any noise from the amp and cd player that is only barely audible with L3000 and inaudible with Ety.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #192 of 210
You should use the plane adapter. It's very good quality and kills the hiss, without touching the sound quality at all. I can't wait for you to do so and report (hopefully with a big smile in your face).

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #193 of 210
You are quit right, the airline adapter did get rid of all the hiss. Is it just a resistor like a P to S adapter or is there something else in it ?
I had to turn the volume on the amp up a fair bit with it in line.
Now the only problem remaining is the sheer physical pain after about an hour of wearing the TFP's.

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #194 of 210
That will disappear once you have tried the Shure black foam tips.
Do you mind if we copy this discussion in the Triple fi thread? It's very informative.

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #195 of 210
The right channel on my ER-4P's is cutting in and out because of a loose connection in the cable, so I need a new cable. Trying to decide whether to pay Ety the $50 to recable or to purchase the APureSound upgraded cable.

So what's the deal with the APS cable for the ER4's? Some people say it's a great upgrade, others say cable upgrades are essentially placebo effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back