Etymotic Cable Explaination, Please....
Feb 14, 2009 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Frank_Zuccarini

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I have found the 5' cable that came with my Ety ER-4P is way longer than I need. So, I determined that I would shorten it to about 2.5'.

I carefully cut into it, and isolated each of the cables. There were (3) very light gauge insulated cables, white, black and red, plus a flattened silver (uninsulated) cable that wrapped around the other three.

I have successfully shortened the cables, put it back together, and it works just fine. But, I was hoping that someone could explain to me exactly what I found inside.

I'm guessing that the red wire goes to one IEM, the white wire goes to the other, and the black wire is a common ground. Is that true?

Plus, as I stripped the insulation off of each of the coloured wires, there was, in addition to a very fine guage wire, a fabric cord of some sort. Does anyone know what this cord is? Is it just strength reinforcement? Something else?

Lastly, is the flattened, uninsulated silver cable that is wrapped around the other three cables 'shielding'? That's my only guess.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks.......................Frank

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 10
The ER-4 cable is very complex. They are shielded with silvery sleeve and this does not need to be soldered to anywhere - just leave them be as it is for shieling purposed.

The red wire is of course for Right Side and the Black is for the Left side. The white is for ground. There's a fine non metallic wire in between and they are for strain support. In order to solder the wires properly you will need to remove the insulation at the joints (solder end) using a cigarette lighter and then clean off the residue.

ER-4 cables are made of Silver Plated copper BTW.

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 10
Thank-you, EFN.

So Red is right and Black if left and White is common ground. REALLY small gauge wires.

My observation was that EACH of the coloured wires had the non-metallic wire for strain support.

I did solder the silvery shielding sleeve, but I guess that it wasn't necessary.

Thanks for your help.............Frank

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER-4 cable is very complex. They are shielded with silvery sleeve and this does not need to be soldered to anywhere - just leave them be as it is for shieling purposed.

The red wire is of course for Right Side and the Black is for the Left side. The white is for ground. There's a fine non metallic wire in between and they are for strain support. In order to solder the wires properly you will need to remove the insulation at the joints (solder end) using a cigarette lighter and then clean off the residue.

ER-4 cables are made of Silver Plated copper BTW.

Shielding doesn't work if it isn't grounded...

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Can I just wrap the white wire with the shielding and then solder the whole thing to the ground pin?

I've tried that currently with a neutrik 90 degree jack.

I sense that the sound is degraded. I just don't feel that ety transparency that I'm so used to. The sound is fatiguing.

I don't know if it's just me or if I put this cable together wrong.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 10
The Difference between a shielded and non-shielded cable is pretty tiny. 
My bet is you messed up somewhere else. 
What does the ohm-meter say when you probe the various connections? 

And why not just wrap the cable up on any of the available cable-wrappy-things and not worry about it? 

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #10 of 10
Turns out that my solder was too messy and was shorting somewhere.
I bought a new plug and borrowed a better soldering iron and it came together great now. I also dissected my the ety jack. It looks like the shielding is soldered to the ground. There was a thick bundle of wire soldered to the ground, which is undoubtedly the shielding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back